Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westy1941

Testing 1, 2, 3 - Great Expectations

Carole Westgaard
11 years ago

Trying to hone my skills at this. Please let me know if the pic is clear, the right size, etc. My web-designer son is blown away by the features of Photobucket and I should have put him on this project years ago.

Westy

Comments (8)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Very well done. You also chose one of Ken's favorite Hostas. Was that on purpose?

Steve

• Carole Westgaard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Steve - didn't know this was one of K's faves. I had ten of these and just gave six away (moving to CO when the house sells). It is a great specimen though - the others weren't as pretty - this one gets a.m. sun - the others got dappled shade all day. Wish I had taken lots more pix before everything fried!

Westy

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

he is being tongue in check.. its my most despised ...

the pic looks a bit fuzzy to me ... and since you sound like you wish to learn ... i THINK its the background plants being a bit to bright ... is that bishops weed...????

i THINK it draws the focus of the eye past the GE ... making GE 'look' fuzzy ...

does that make any sense ...

perhaps.. it looks like this was an early evening shot.. perhaps if it was just a bit darker... you may have captured the moment ...

when i spot a perfect shot... i come back to the shot.. every 15 mins or so.. as i wonder around the yard with the camera .. and odds are.. one of the multiple.. will be supreme ...

i thought PB automatically sizes the shots.. somewhere .. you can pic large to small .. i never use PB photo editor.. its slow.. compared to my ulead one ...

NEVER change color.. but playing with contrast and gamma ... might darken the background plants ... but my standard is always ... the plant itself.. should look proper.. presuming your monitor is properly adjusted ...

ken

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Yeh, looks like Bishop's Weed to me, too. Now I know why you're moving! ;0

Very Nice hosta though, Westy. I fear that I'm in the Ken Klub so far as GE is concerned. I bought a TC last summer & it's not grown at all whereas all the other TC's I got have performed from good to excellent. Glad I didn't fork over much $$ for it. Will just admire ya'lls photos. BTW, the GE pix looks a little fuzzy to me, too.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Focus needs to be sharpened. Other than that, GE looks like a nice, healthy plant. Mine is only a couple weeks old, but growing well--I can't wait until it achieves the height, width, and fullness of your GE!

Kate

• Carole Westgaard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Bishops Weed is the dumbest thing I ever planted and I would kill it tomorrow if we weren't selling. Maybe I'll do it anyway just because I hate it so much. I'm thinking I'll just smother it with black plastic before we leave for a month next week. Maybe it'll be good and dead when I return.

And yes, I should have mentioned that I do know the pic is fuzzy.....and also that the 'Weed' is the worst background for any plant - and it was also the worst time of day for a good shot. I've got the camera poised to go out with me daily, but I can't stand to be out there longer than ten minutes (105 heat index today and worse tomorrow). Not only that, I took this pic before the heat wave hit. Not worth taking pix anymore.

And I agree....playing with color on PB is a no-no. I want the true color. My son said he thought I would find PB's functionality easier just because it IS slow....he knows me. I had ten GE's because I'm stubborn and kept trying different spots. I gave six away because I got tired of the game. Kept only this one - the last 3 are on their way to other friends....if I had enemies, they'd be the recipients.

Walking back and taking more pix just a few minutes apart is a great suggestion, Ken. It's amazing how that 'perfect time' of day changes minute to minute. And right now it's between 7 and 8 pm.

Thanks for all the feedback. It IS appreciated and I need the critique!

Westy

• Carole Westgaard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to add that if you look at only the bottom of the photo where it's darker, and the Bishops Weed isn't interfering, does it look sharper or isn't there any difference? It looks better to me but if it's still fuzzy, I need to know.

Thanks,
    Westy

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Westy,if you took the pic in not-so-bright light,it could be the cause of the fuzzy pic,Take another with brighter lighting conditions,and the focus should improve. Phil