Software
Houzz Logo Print
muddysocks

violet nonodorata

19 years ago

I planted violet odorata in honor of my grandfather and I love the smell. The first few years they smelled wonderful. For the past few years I've gotten plenty of flowers but without a trace of fragrance. Any ideas? They will be put to death this year unless they give up some scent or someone wants them.

Comments (19)

  • 19 years ago

    Some elderly gardeners that used to live near here once told me it needs limy soil to waft.

  • 19 years ago

    Hmmmm....no idea but since I ordered two heirloom cultivars of this plant this winter (for shipping soon) I'm glad to see bboy's reply and will look forward to any others.

    Like you, I'll be pretty darn disappointed if they aren't scented heavily. Keep us posted!

    Take care,
    Grant

    Here is a link that might be useful: Viola odorata 'Duchesse de Parme' plant from Select Seeds

  • 19 years ago

    Note that your link says that Parma violets are best enjoyed as potted plants. I have seen these depicted as greenhouse pets in the past.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Canyon Creek Nursery Parma Violets

  • 19 years ago

    I've seen that about suggesting them as potted plants in several places/catalogs, and then I also see that they can be a bit too aggressive in the Pacific Northwest too. I'm conflicted, heh heh. Anyone have any experience with their vigor?

    Keep us posted muddysocks (love your username, by the way, as my white socks are constantly muddy)

  • 19 years ago

    There is a bit of mystery with regards to Parma violets. They are generally considered to be a hybrid, with parentage attributed to V. alba, suavis and/or odorata in some combination. They are most often reported as being brought into cultivation by a gardener of Tsar Alexander I at the beginning of the 19th century. There may be some validity to that as Viola suavis is commonly referred to as Russian violets. Not only do they have reputation for being less hardy than related violas, they are also sterile or very nearly so, so that propagation is accomplished solely by divisions or rhizomes. These factors would seem to indicate that they are unlikely to become a garden nuisance :-) And they are also characterized by fully double flowers.

    I've had various sweet violas in my garden from time to time and the fragrance was only notable under certain climate conditions and only with certain forms. And then Viola labradorica managed to find its way in and all hell broke loose, as the dang things breed and cross breed like bunnies. Somewhere along the line, any aroma from the odorata contingent was lost in the dominant genes and much more aggressive habit of the labradorica.

  • 19 years ago

    Good information. I've heard a bit of the history of the Parma violets, but was never quite clear on how they're different from just plain ol' Viola odorata. Sounds like I needn't worry too much about them taking over the world if I decide to not grow them in a container. Every reference I find on the parmas says they're very, very scented compared to odorata, but we'll see if the nose knows. I'll post a separate thread if they turn out to be nicely scented.

    Thanks again,
    Grant

    Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Violet book

  • 19 years ago

    Viola riviniana 'Purpurea' found its way in. Same species as the green-leaved one with the rosey, fading-prone flowers that also seeds into lawns, borders and cracks. V. labradorica is a tiny one from the far north that probably hasn't been grown much.

  • 19 years ago

    I realize there is confusion between the two species and numerous sources list them as synonymous. Just what exactly differentiates the two? The USDA indicates that V. labradorica has naturalized throughout much of the east coast so it has apparently adapted well to warmer climates. The diminutive purple leafed viola sold in the trade is uniformly labeled as Viola labradorica - you are saying all of these are misidentified? On what basis?

  • 19 years ago

    I have Viola labradorica in a planter, every winter the leaves turn brown (too much sun I think) so I cut them off. The new growth is quite purplish. A friend who lives two blocks away has those little pink violets growing through her lawn, I've brought them home, but they turn purple in my soil. Recently white violets have established themselves in our lawn in the front, are these guys PH sensitive? What is the botanical name for this Viola? I have given up trying to keep the lawn decent so now it's a mixture of white violets, some very nice mosses which came on their own, specie crocus and a pale blue creeping veronica, running through what's left of the grass. Looks pretty at times. In the back garden I Have a couple of clumps of 'White Czar' and if I haven't pulled it out by mistake 'Sulphurea', I can feel you all cringing at the state my lawn is in.

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    I think your lawn sounds terrific! If it's green, I just leave it. Whenever I go out of town for extended periods I can always tell upon returning that my "lawn" is mostly non-grass as it's usually blooming (yarrow, dandelions, spring bulbs, etc).

    Would love some pics of it some time! :)
    Happy gardening,
    Grant

  • 19 years ago

    I'll post a pic as soon as the remaining grass has bit the dust. :-)

  • 19 years ago

    >The diminutive purple leafed viola sold in the trade is uniformly labeled as Viola labradorica - you are saying all of these are misidentified? On what basis?For more on this topic...

    Here is a link that might be useful: 'riviniana purpurea' - Google Search

  • 19 years ago

    Well, thanks....I guess, although after 3 or 4 pages I never did locate anything definitive to differentiate the two and many places did consider them to be synonymous. Of course it'll be another decade or so before growers convert to the correct nomenclature. They are still screwing up sweet autumn clematis and I don't even want to think about re-signing all those asters we sell each season :-) And then there's the endless conifer reclassification.

  • 19 years ago

    It never was a form of Labrador violet, it's not a change but a correction. Labrodor violet is supposed to be this tiny little tight thing.

  • 19 years ago

    Aftermidnight, you need some of the wild little Bellis perennis in your lawn. They are so cute.

  • 19 years ago

    I've never smelled a violet. I've read that the ability to detect certain smells is genetic. i guess I'm lacking those genes.

    I've also read that the scent of violets contains a chemical that will shut down one's ability to smell them after a whiff, but will come back after a while.

    But I can't smell them anyway

    ... Don

  • 19 years ago

    Maybe they're shrinking away from you.

  • 19 years ago

    hemnancy, sounds like a plan, Bellis perennis, I think they would look cute too. If I can crowd out the grass we can get rid of the lawnmower. :-)

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    Successful where turf kept moist.

0