Software
Houzz Logo Print
weseakevin

question for Hostaguy and others

19 years ago

hello all,

as my partner and I have relocated from Wyoming to West Seattle, I find myself with a clean slate in which to garden with a vast and unexplored array of plants to choose from. However, being a hostaholic, I will be bringing my 30-40 (I've lost track) varieties of hosta with me. Since they are currently little frozen blocks in black pvc pots, I'm wondering when hostas actually begin to emerge in the Seattle area. I've already transported many iris, which (when I was last there) were actively growing.

Also, I'm well aware there seems to be a bit of a "slug problem" in the Pacific Northwest (they are only bad in Wyoming in early spring), but aside from that, I'm wondering if there are any other considerations which need be made for this change in venue. I'm assuming that hostas can take more sunshine near sea level in PNW than they can in the arid high elevations of the Rocky Mountain West.

Thanks so much for any advice,

Kevin

ps. Grant, since we live in the same neighborhood, I'd love to have and invite to see your garden. (hint!) :)

Comments (18)

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    There are some hostas that have their purple shoots just starting to be visible, but usually it's early March-April (in my garden in North Seattle/Shoreline) when the early hostas begin awakening from their winter dormancy.

    Hostas are already being sold as potted divisions or bareroot in bags of peat moss or moist wood shavings in nurseries. These need to settle in before top growth can proceed.

    You'll find the Pacific Northwest a grand place to garden and hostas really thrive here. The only problem, I've noticed, is yes, the slugs, but the extremely fragrant Hosta plantaginea and it's selections ('Aphrodite', 'Venus', 'Ming Treasure', etc.) don't develop properly and fail to bloom b4 frost hits them and the developing buds abort. Other that than, Hostas are awesome!

    Pacific Northwest is also home to some of the best hosta suppliers! You've gotta meet the guys behind Naylor Creek Nursery!

    Cheers and welcome to Seattle!

    Riz

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I'll second the recommendation for Naylor Creek - awesome selection of hostas and other woodland/shade plants! I talked with Gary yesterday as we were both setting up for the F&G show and I already have a long list to follow up on! I have lots of hostas already (always room for a couple more, tho), so my gotta-have list includes mostly epis and arisaemas. I know where I'm spending my $$ at the show!

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Thanks for the responses. It's great to know that things are already looking like spring in Seattle. I'm currently still between Wyoming and Seattle(-4F this morning after a lovely storm that dropped about 8 inches of snow)but headed there today so that I can attend the Garden Show.(oh yeah, and to see my Valentine-gotta have your priorities)

    I did order several hostas from Naylor last summer, and if memory serves me, was very happy with their plants. It's really exciting, and probably a bit dangerous, that they will have a booth at the garden show. But more exciting is the proximity of their nursery to Seattle. I'm sure it would be a lovely drive to visit.

    I'm wondering, will any of you attending the Gardenshow have some sort of Gardenweb identifier? It would be nice to put faces to names.
    Thanks again,
    Kevin

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Welcome Weseakevin! Another bit of "Family" ;) in Seattle! My partner and I, live over near UW.

    Seattle is fantastic place for gardening! That said we do have very wet winters and sometimes very dry summers. We try to keep our babies dry in the winter and wet in the summer, sounds kind funny.

    Yes, Azngrnthumbs is right on the money, I find that my hostas start emerging early to mid March - April. The earliest for me one is most defiantly Lancifolia.

    Slugs can be a problem if you let them get out of hand, get out early and reduce their population, you can dramatically reduce damage. I find that one or two, sprinklings of Deadline pellets around the hosta beds really helps, but keep that stuff away from the pets and you have to reapply after rain. I also have been known to handpick and double bag the buggers, send them to the landfill. Get some long tongs! Or beer in a tub, gets em too.

    I use an organic fertilizer (with micronutrients) as the eyes start popping, sprinkle and scratch it in around the root zone and eyes. In midsummer I sometimes make up a batch of special alfalfa tea, use a big garbage can, and add alfalfa pellets, water and cover. Be careful not to get the pellets that are bunny food, you don't want the salty kind. They always seem to know what I want at the feed store when I ask - seems other gardeners get them too. Get yourself and air pump and air stone for an aquirarium to add much need oxygen to the mix, brew till frothy and sort of smelly. Use straight on plants, this will make the plants go crazy from the growth hormones.

    Other hints:
    Don't plant hostas too deeply, I find that really reduces vigor and growth - probably one of the biggest mistakes people make is planting to deeply. Don't plant them too close to your foundation, I've seen a few die this way from crown rot, the tempture/moisture changes in these microclimate zones can cause rot.

    Watch out for tree roots, certain maples, cedars, seem to have roots that will strangle the crown into submission. You can sink pots into the ground, but usually those tree roots will find a way in.

    The best planting mix is one with natural compost, nothing better!

    As for Sun, I find hostas do best with morning sun (East side of house), North side works too, but can be too shady sometimes. It can get almost too hot with Southern and Western exposure sometimes, but I think they can do well with a little protection from trees, etc (dappled light). Watch out for reflected heat, the heat that is reflected off light colored siding or a building - that can really be too hot a spot (save it for the cannas) Hostas do enjoy a little bitter of sun, they'll have more vigor and some will have better coloration with a little sun.

    There are some great trades that happen on GW, in May or June... Keep an eye out for those. I'll be at the garden show on Friday night, I'll be identifiable because I will be at the Naylor Creek both browsing and chatting for hours. lol

    Again, Welcome! Ready, Set, Garden!

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Oh, one other thought - I've learned the hard way.

    Expensive, rare, and special hostas that I buy, they go in nice sized, well draining soil/pots for a few years before I put a division in the ground. This ensures I always have a backup in case Mother Nature (The Gentle Grim Reaper) tries to take one of my babies, of course there is always the The clumsy/accidental Grim Reaper (myself).

    Who else backs up their plants? LOL Call me crazy

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hey Hostaguy,
    Thanks for the response!! I'm glad to hear that my hostas will enjoy their new home, unfortunately I'm leaving behind many large clumps of mature plants.....the many I'm bringing represent plants I've been growing in containers for a couple years as well as many I got just last season.

    Thanks for all the advice on hosta culture, I think I have that one figured out, just wondering if things are any different in Seattle than they are in Wyoming. I'm fairly certain I've seen hostas growing here in much more sunny/exposed sights than I could get away with in my Wyoming garden. I know that summers in Seattle can be quite dry, but I'm used to daily watering in Wyoming. We can go weeks on end with no rain, and temperatures well into the 90s and 100s. Also, being a semi-arid climate, summer humidity usually hovers around 25%. Needless to say, even the gold forms will absolutely fry with too much exposure.

    We actually looked at a house near UW, a large Victorian with huge rooms in horrid conditon, but still a lovely home. We decided the proximity to the freeway coupled with a lack of parking due to the shear volume of students, would eventually drive us mad. We originally didn't think West Seattle was for us either, but then we lucked into a house in Admiral, that while not the greatest, has tons of potential(don't they all)and is in a neighborhood full of beautiful gardens.

    Hopefully I can get a chance to meet you in person, if not Friday night, then sometime soon. Is Friday night a good time to go?? I'm dying to meet the Naylor Creek guys also, sounds like you probably have an 'in' with them, or you are their best customer (2nd mortgage to cover the hosta habit)

    Thanks again and look forward to meeting,
    Kevin

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Yeah, I think you need to do some sun experimenting at your new site, but yes, I've had some luck in full sun as long as they get good water. Thicker leaved cultivars seem to do better. Most of my plants are planted in dappled sun - actually most of my collection resides at my parents house on their 1 1/4 acre lot. I have only a 4000 square foot lot in Seattle, I've have to be discerning and pick only specimens. We've only lived here a short time, so the garden is still coming together.

    I think Friday in the evening is a good time to go. Maybe we'll catch each other at the Naylor creek booth. Jack and Gary are nice guys! I know we'll be wandering around from 7pm to 9pm (closing). I may go earlier in the day.
    We'll meet up in the future for sure if we don't catch each other at the show.

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Several years ago my 'Francis Williams' Hosta sported. The sport is golden, no variegation. My question is how long should I leave it before I separate it from the mother plant?

    A......

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hey, welcome to Seattle! Like you guys, I've schlepped plants from garden to garden over the years (this is my third one within five miles of each other). I admire your dedication! Once I've got this little garden presentable you're on the list for an invitation. Right now you'd probably be appalled! I know I would be.

    Riz, thanks for the tips on the Hosta plantaginea being less than fragrant here. I've been tempted by them recently and now will hold off.

    Best wishes in your new garden, and city. Welcome again!
    Grant

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hey aftermidnight,
    If it has been several years for the sport, and it has not reverted, you should try to seperate it as soon as you can discern it from the parent plant this spring. Many hosta "sport hunters" will remove the sport as soon as they are certain it has a root system.

    Grant, since you are way ahead of me in the advancement of your garden, I'd be happy to visit any time. The house we purchased was occupied since the 1950s by the same couple, and all it appears they planted were junipers and some tea roses (they haven't been maintained and will most likely come out). Why couldn't it have been rhododendrons? I have all the junipers I can handle in Wyoming. At least there are some beautiful hemlocks at the back of the property.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hi weseakevin,

    Thanks for the advice, it is a sizable piece now, I'll divide it as soon as I can see where to cut. I wasn't sure how big it had to be before I could do this.

    A......

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Grant,

    H. plantaginea is quite fragrant, it just doesn't grow well here in the Pacific Northwest. However, there are many fragrant cultivars out there that are exceptional and bloom reliably!

    Some favorites include:

    Plain Green:
    -Royal Standard
    -Invincible
    -Fried Green Tomatoes
    -Moonlight Sonata

    Yellow:
    Fried Bananas
    Sweet Sunshine

    Yellow/White Edge:
    Diana Remembered
    Fragrant Bouquet
    So Sweet

    Yellow/White Center
    Guacamole
    Hoosier Harmony
    Stained Glass

    Riz

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hi all,

    Thanks for the list, Riz. I'll print it out and keep it in my wallet (which usually has more plant lists than cash) so I'll have it handy next time I'm hosta-shopping. I'm not passionate about hostas, but I do like them and always have some and getting some that have fragrant blooms would help them do double-duty. I've smelled Hosta plantaginea travelling for work or pleasure to warm-summer areas so I'm glad you spared me spending money on it. I'll focus on the others in your list instead.

    Take care and keep us posted on how your new garden develops, Kevin

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    weseakevin is right on the money aftermidnight. Seperate very carefully including roots and the sport's full crown, you'll probably want to dig up the whole plant and use running water to loosen the dirt and see where the roots and crown are attached. This will help you to seperate the sport carefully. Don't forget to use bleach / water solution with your dividing knife to help prevent against transfer of diseases.

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Thanks For the advice hostaguy, I believe you can still divide when they are in full leaf, I'd like to take a pic before I divide it. 'Francis Williams' gets some late afternoon sun where it's planted, so I'll dig the whole plant and move it to more shade, which it really needs. The sported piece has at least two or three crowns now.

    A......

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Sure, you can divide anytime really. Might be much easier when in leaf so you can better discern the sport.

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hey Hostaguy,
    Glad you got Clifford's Forest Fire....I bought it last year, and it's one that will be moving out here in a couple weeks. I understand it may be very similar to 'Liberty' with a bit more "flaring". Oh well....more is more :)

    I of course had to buy more hostas....bought ones that I already had (how goofy is that)...Earth Angel....Aristocrat....and Super Nova....I think I have a thing for blue/yellow combinations.
    Kevin

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Kevin, we'll have to compare our hostas and do a trade sometime. I really like the blue /yellow / Chartreuse hostas.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio