Software
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Fragrance in the Garden...

What are you growing in your garden that is fragrant?

The giant Himalayan lily, Cardiocrinum giganteum is very fragrant, can grow to 10 feet +, C.g.'s will take at least 7 years from seed to flower. It flowers exude a lovely perfume, then very interesting seed pods form. It then dies, but not before pups form around the base of the original bulb. Seperate the pups in the spring and replant in shade or semi-shade. It takes 3 or 4 years before they will bloom. C.g.'s like moist rich soil with plenty of leaf mold. I find it very easy to grow and if I can grow it, anyone can. I grow two different types, the taller one is Himalayan, the shorter one that starts out with bronzy coloured leaves I believe comes from China. What else is out there that you think is great?

A......

Comments (26)

  • 19 years ago

    Daphnes- I only have 10 kinds so far, need more.

  • 19 years ago

    I love sweet box and winter-flowering daphne (Daphne odora) for winter fragrance. In spring I have a lot of sweetly scented daffodils, and I like the scent of sweet alyssum so I always have that around too. In high summer I grow a LOT of flowering tobacco (Nicotiana alata) which is my favorite summer fragrance (I'm not a fan of the fragrance of candelabra-blooming Nicotiana sylvestris), but N. alata I love (just be sure to plant the fragrant old fashioned types as many modern cultivars are bred to stay dwarf or open during the daytime and have not had their scent maintained)).

    I also grow a truly tacky mix of heirloom petunias that are very, very heavily scented at night. Love them. Dame's rocket (Hesperis matronalis) is another plant I grow in (over?)abundance.

    Plus a smattering of roses too (no fragrance = no space).

    I like the scent of rosemary and scented geranium foliage so I always have those by the front door so I can rub them when I enter or leave.

    Hope to see and hear more.
    Take care,
    Grant

  • 19 years ago

    Hi Grant,

    I'm growing Daphne odora marginata, it's in bud now, can hardly wait for it to bloom. Up here I have it planted in a planter behind our small Koi pool. We have surrounded the pool with lattice walls and put a roof over it. The Koi have protection from the Heron and Kingfishers and the Daphne has protection from the frost. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to grow it.
    I have the same trouble with Clematis Armandi, twice I've planted and lost it after a couple of years of doing well, too wet is my guess. So, last spring I bought another one and planted in the same planter as the Daphne, so far so good, I'll let it grow through the lattice walls, should look good if it works.

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    I like winter blooming shrubs and a good many of them have incredible fragrance - gotta do something special to attract pollinators in the dead of winter! Witch hazels, winter hazels, mahonia, edgeworthia, Lonicera fragrantissima, any sarcococca (tho I swear the forms of hookeriana have the strongest fragrance of the genus), male Japanese skimmia. And then comes the early spring crowd - Clematis armandii and montana, daphnes, Osmanthus delavayi and burkwoodii and the spicey viburnums. For later in the season I like Iris graminea for its sweet, grape jelly fragrance, trumpet lilies (not as cloyingly in-your-face as the orientals) and certain roses, specially some of the David Austin roses. And honeysuckle, which reminds me very strongly of my childhood and is so loved by my hummers.

  • 19 years ago

    The yellow thingy on the fence. 'Cytisus battandieri' Moroccan Broom, a lanky shrub with silvery green leaves which I am trying to espalier on a fence (haven't won that battle yet), but what a fragrance, like ripe Pineapple.

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    I like fragrant plants.

    I have several Daphnes, many Oriental Lilies, Sarcococca hookerana Humilis, a 'Midnight Blue' Rose, two Gardenias, a 'Miss Kim' Lilac, Clematis 'Appleblossom' & 'Betty Corning', several bearded Iris, a couple scented geraniums, a couple Brugmansias though not of blooming size yet, a couple of the new small Buddleias, several Pieris, multiple narcissus, hyacinths and grape hyacinths and I will plant heirloom sweet peas again and sweet alyssum.

    I may have more, that was all I could think of for now. I really need to type everything up and keep it in My Documents.....

  • 19 years ago

    My house currently smells of sarcococca. I love the smell and everyone asks what the smell is since they can't see any flowers. Then I get to say "sarcococca" Such a fun word to say!

    Lilacs are a favorite from my childhood. Roses too and I'm with Grant - no smell no space!

    Love the smell of hyacinths but never plant any. Maybe I should take that up with my therapist.

    Lilies - all of them. The stinkier the better.

    And then of course there are the tomato leaves...

  • 19 years ago

    For wafting fragrance I would have to say Elaeagnus ebbingei, Lilac, Daphne odora,clove currant Crandall, and Wild yam, Dioscorea villosa, when it blooms. I planted some other shrubs that should be fragrant- Osmanthus burkwoodi and fragrans, Ternstroemia, Sarcococca, Philadelphus Belle Etoile, Choisya ternata, a Jasmine, and a couple of gardenias. I hope to smell them if they will bloom. A couple of shrubs with fantastic fragrance up close- Lonicera syringantha (lilac-flowered) which is straggly but has a few blooms, and Abelia mosanensis, which struggles and hasn't bloomed for me yet.

  • 19 years ago

    Brugmangia are spectacular and I love the fragrance. And, good old fashioned wallflowers (Erysimum)are fabulous.

  • 19 years ago

    Don't forget Zaluzianskya, an easy from seed small annual available from T&M, which puts forth huge vanilla fragrance in the evenings.....easy to tuck into combo pots for evening fragrance on the deck. I'm planning to try out some of the perennial varieties of this South African native to see how they work. jwww

  • 19 years ago

    I forgot Lily of the Valley, sweet Violets and several Lavenders. Star Jasmine and a true Jasmine (sambac) too.

  • 19 years ago

    Keep them coming, some of these I've never heard of before, never mind seen. Gives me some food for thought. I wish I could winter some of the Jasmines but our winters will do them in. We had one on our front porch when I was very young, it had white flowers and a lovely scent. It seemed to be hardy here in Z7/8. Can anyone put a name to it for me?

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    Osmanthus burkwoodi: Most underated hedging material IMHO! Wonderful sweet smell, that wafts, slow growing. Similar to sarcococca in smell.

    I just plant Osmanthus Fragrans (Sweet Olive) in my front yard.

    I love the decidious azelea's, Azelea Luteum wafts! Go sniffing in June at your nursery.

    I love the daphne's of course, the ones that stay alive, so far I've had good luck (odara, rock daphne, mezereum)

    I want a Wintersweet (Chimonanthus)
    and
    Some witch hazel - I saw a witch hazel 'Ozark' really fragrant!

  • 19 years ago

    The Prunus mume is about to bloom, and then there are the Michelias - M. yunnanensis, maudiae, platypetala, figo... The hamamelis mollis 'Gold Crest' is heavenly. The fragrant rhododendrons are all bloomimg much younger in life than I expected. R. decorum and R. fortunei, plus 'Dexter's Spice'
    all bloomed last year - the fortunei was planted last year and the other two the year before. All are blush white with a very strong wafting fragrance. The Kleim's gardenias are hardy easy bloom machines - I am told the key is good drainage. Rosa moschata and it's cultivars are so far disease free and strongly clove scented.

  • 19 years ago

    My wish list is growing by leaps and bounds, if this keeps up I'll be eating nothing but Kraft dinner for the foreseeable future.

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    Aftermidnight- I had to look up my info on the old computer- my hardy one is Jasmine officinale aureum, zones 7-9 from Cistus Nursery. It is planted by my concrete porch for protection. This will be its second winter and it bloomed a little last year, fragrant but not really outstandingly so. It has yellow variegated leaves. I think the winter-blooming one is also hardy, I didn't look up the name, I think it has yellow flowers. I tried growing J. sambac under lights but managed to kill it. It smelled wonderful. My SIL in Seattle had a J. nitida planted outside, I haven't heard if it was surviving.

  • 19 years ago

    I found more Jasmines on the lazyssfarm site. Scroll down.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Vines

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks hemnancy, scrolled through the vines and the description that best fits the one I remember is Jasminum x stephanense. I'll keep on looking for it.

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    After visiting Louisianna in the Spring, I have to get ahold of some Osmanthus Fragrans. Has anyone found it available in the Seattle area for anything remotely affordable?

  • 19 years ago

    Pdraves, I bought my Osmanthus Fragrans at Molbaks, I think they get them in late spring/summer. I paid under 12 bucks for 1 gallon. Good luck finding some.

  • 19 years ago

    Pdraves,

    I was in Sky Nursery in North Seattle last weekend and they do carry the shrub. I am thinking about getting one myself. Dose anyone know whether it will survive happily here in Seattle?

  • 19 years ago

    I am signing papers on the house I am selling today. The Daphne odora is so big and beautiful. The fragrance hit me from 50 feet away today, even in the rain. I am also leaving a huge pink-flowered Pieris japonica which is suprisingly fragrant. And the lilies, lilacs, roses, sarcococca, gardenias, garlic (lol), et. al.

    I have planted most of the things mentioned here at one time or another since I plant to fragrance.

    So far at the new place I have plopped in a baby daphne and a star jasmine which was potted from the old place. There are already many fragrant lilies, roses and a huge rosemary bush. It looks like I am also going to have a bearded iris forest coming up here. I brought my little 'Miss Kim' lilac with me. I have seeds started for Nicotiana sylvestris for the summer evenings. Haven't thought of using n. alata. Grant, enlighten me on the differences for you.

    A couple of years ago I found some Osmanthus fragrans at a recycled nursery here in Portland. You never know where things are going to turn up.

    Amy

  • 19 years ago

    Just picked up Osmanthus Delavayi and saw Osmanthus Burkwoodii at Flower World - 6.99 gallon. For those looking for fragrance! Wonderful plants!

  • 19 years ago

    Delavay osmanthus probably the most powerful. Smells tropical.

  • 19 years ago

    I walked around and looked at some plants to see how they are doing. Osmanthus delavayi, Daphne "Summer Ice", and Sarcococca ruscifolia have flower buds coming on, Daphne odora is blooming, no signs of buds on Osmanthus fragrans, Ternstoemia gymnanthera, or Azara microphylla Variegata.

    So far the bulbs that are blooming are not fragrant.