Software
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

Midnight Wine Weigela

19 years ago

I have been looking for this small weigela for a couple of years now to add purple leaf color to my landscape and I can't find it anywhere in western Washington. I'm trying to figure out if the reason nobody has it is because it is not as advertised or if they just can't get it. Does anybody have any experience with it or know where I could go to find it?

Comments (13)

  • 19 years ago

    I know where you can get some :-)

  • 19 years ago

    Were yer ears burnin today? Nobody was at yer booth and I was telling my wife what a bunch of slackers you guys were ;-)

    There is a gal from Ellensburg straight west from you across the first middle aisle that has some gorgeous metal garden ball spikes and copper spinners. You'll have to go check her stuff out. We bought a tall red metal flower spike and garden ball from her. I'm going to have her come over when I get this next section done and make us a couple of custom pieces.

    E-mail me on the MWW, I'm probably looking at a decent number of them unless you can convince me otherwise VBG

  • 19 years ago

    Apart from Emery's you should be able to find this Monrovia item at multiple local outlets. Try making some phone calls, if not in stock now it will surely be later.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Where to Buy

  • 19 years ago

    I know, I keep telling myself I "should" be able to find it but I never can. Last season I tried probably 30 different ones from Sky to Emery's to Flower World to Watson's to Vibrant to Furney's to Edgewood to Portland Ave to Covington Creek to Alpine to Woods Creek and on and on and on. Most had Wine and Roses or others but a lot of them looked at me funny when I asked for Midnight Wine.

  • 19 years ago

    We got one at Wight's Nursery in Lynnwood last year.

    Remember, you can ask the nursery to order you one. I've had a good luck doing this. Sure.. no instant gratification.. but you'll have the assurance that you'll be getting one.

  • 19 years ago

    Not in WA but I bought it at Heirloom Roses in St. Paul OR. They have a new small/dwarf plant nursery going there. It was reasonably priced too. Much less than I'd seen it elsewhere. I went to see the roses but I loaded up on dwarf shrubs instead.

    Here is their site but they are currently closed.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Small Garden Plants

  • 19 years ago

    Possibly your inability to find it at all those places was due to some kind of unfortunate circumstance, like them being shipped after you did your looking that year - with nobody mentioning they were expecting them. When I ask for something often I am directed to a buyer as nobody else knows what is coming in (or is hoped to be coming in). Or the clerk I am talking to checks a list they have been given.

    14 nurseries were listed for it in The Plant Locator - Western Region which came out in 2004. The western Washington ones indicated there were

    The Greenhouse (Port Angeles)
    Wells-Medina

    Although many have their names and contact information presented in a particular section most walk-in garden centers did not list specific plants in this publication.

  • 19 years ago

    I bought one last year at Real Canadian Superstore -- as far from a specialty nursery as you can get! Unfortunately, it is very attractive to deer so I don't know if it has survived. Hate those bambis..

  • 19 years ago

    I haven't grown it, but I've had my eyes on it too. Parks has carried it for a few years and continues to have it in their paper catalog and on their website (link below).

    Let us know if you get some, and how you like it. I've been using burgundy-foliaged elderberries as an alternative, but I'm still thinking of adding these too.

    Happy gardening,
    Grant

    Here is a link that might be useful: 'Midnight Wine' weigela from Parks

  • 19 years ago

    For those wishing to honor such things note that the cultivar is 'Elvera' and not Midnight Wine, which is a registered trademark (selling name) and not a cultivar name. (See presentation at Park page linked to above). No quotes are used around Midnight Wine.

    Additional details of the plant itself should be available at uspto.gov via a plant patent number search (they have a separate dialog box just for plant patent searches) using the plant patent number (PP#) given on the Park page.

  • 19 years ago

    Interesting distinction! Thanks for pointing it out. I'm generally obsessive about putting the apostrophes around cultivar names so I see that it should be Midnight Wine rather than 'Midnight Wine'.

    I actually didn't know anyone could take a cultivar and "re-brand" it so to speak, with a trademark. That seems a bit confusing, so thanks for highlighting it.

    Happy gardening,
    Grant

  • 19 years ago

    These are common now. Homely cultivar names coupled with snazzy trademarked names supposed to induce the paying of fees for the use of the trademarked name.

  • 19 years ago

    Did you try Wells Medina? They too are very good at ordering requested plants, & will actually call you when they come in!