Software
Houzz Logo Print
minet_gw

2 Portland garden shows, same days - which one?

19 years ago

Hi, this is my first spring here in the Portland, Oregon area. This weekend there are 2 big garden shows in town - Home & Garden Show at the Expo Center, and Yard-Garden-Patio Show at the Convention Center.

I'm not sure which one to go to. I don't know yet what the plants are at my house (just moved in a month ago) and plan to see how the spring/summer progresses before making any adjustments. Only new plantings will be vegetables, I think.

Can anyone shed some light on the differences between these two shows? I think we'll only make it to one, not both.

We need to have a patio cover built onto our house in the back, so would like to see some examples of that, so maybe one of them has some construction booths there as well as gardeners.

I'm leaning toward the YGP show because I don't want to look at bath or kitchen remodels. But I need to get some patio quotes, so maybe the HG show would be better.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Comments (13)

  • 19 years ago

    The home & garden show is much larger because, as you noted, it includes house stuff like remodeling. The YGP show is pretty much limited to outdoor and gardening. I can't remember if there were contractors there or not last year. I am going to the YGP show tomorrow. I spend enough money remodeling the garden every year, I don't need to be tempted with things I can spend mega bucks on indoors!

    Welcome to Portland! I could give you the name of someone (maybe two) if you need quotes for a patio cover. I'm also sure that you will find others on this site that would have a few dependable people/companies as well. It's a pretty friendly group here.

    Where did you move from?

  • 19 years ago

    We moved from Orange County, CA, which is zone 10a. Very different gardening atmosphere. I'm really interested in when to plant veggies.

    We need the patio cover because one of our dogs is a total wimp and we need to have a transition area to convince her to go outside when it's raining. Plus I like sitting outside watching the rain.

    Maybe this year I'll try the HG show and just hang out at the local nurseries to learn some z8 gardening techniques.

  • 19 years ago

    YGPS at the Convention Center has excellent seminars including outof towners like Colston Burrell. Much more the plant person's show. I'll be sitting the HPSO display from 11 to 2 today. jwww

  • 19 years ago

    PS
    Some vendors will be at both shows. I heard One Green World on the Mike Darcy show a couple of weeks ago and they said that they would be a both but with more staff at the YGPS because they handle their own sales vs have a single checkout system. If you want to talk to the owners/vendors YGPS is a better bet. jwww

  • 19 years ago

    I have worked at booths at both shows and attended both shows many times.

    YGPS is all about plants.

    The show at the expo center is more about home remodeling despite having some plant vendors and display gardens. It is mostly high end contractors showing there.

    I'm going to the YGPS today.

  • 19 years ago

    I go to the YGPS too and will go today. They should have some people who do patio covers.
    Pick up a territorial Seed catalog to learn about growing vegies. Several nurseries stock their seed and would have catalogs.

  • 19 years ago

    There were more hard goods than in previous shows. Unless I am noticing them more since I posted on this topic this morning.

    I had $60 in my pocket but didn't buy anything other than two Dahlias from Swan Island.

  • 19 years ago

    ratherbgardening has an excellent suggestion. You can't go wrong with territorial seed here. I also suggest you pick up the book "Vegetable Gardening West of the Cascades" by Steve Solomon. It is the veggie gardening bible in these parts.

    I went to the YGPS today and bought 3 HUGE lily bulbs. Saw some things I wanted but decided to wait on buying them until the weather warms up, they were rather tender plants. It was nice to be out with gardeners and looking around for many hours!

  • 19 years ago

    You have good restraint, buyorsell! I only bought 4 plants; 2 hydrangeas, a clematis, and an orchid. It was nice to be immersed in garden stuff for a day.

  • 19 years ago

    I was prepared to buy but didn't see anything I really wanted.

    No restraint involved.

    I went on a plant buying spree last year. I was hosting a weekend get together of internet pond friends in August, that was my excuse anyway. ;). I don't know how much I spent all together and that is a good thing.

    I still have plants that didn't make it into the ground.

    I really need some non plant things right now but they are more expensive....

  • 19 years ago

    I saw too much that I wanted, so I had to use some restraint!
    I was hoping to get some garden art, but everything I liked was more than I wanted to spend.

  • 19 years ago

    Well, A girl has to know what I missed!!! What was it like??? From the posts, everyone seems like they looked, but didn't see anything that they couldn't live without.... Around the coast here in Bandon, I am begining to see lots of rocks (hardscape) showing up in front yards as a means (I guess) to easy up keep. But, boy, to me it's, hum... I should say... Please "Plant" some trees at lease... or you paid "what" for that!!!

    Silly me, I would like to hear what you all saw...
    Faith

  • 19 years ago

    The color scheme of the show was apricot and copper with touches of yellow, orange and chartreuse. I'm sure it wasn't official, just that everyone was on this trend.

    There seemed to be less plants than usual to me.