Software
Houzz Logo Print
everett_reader

Planting vines through shrubs

20 years ago

I have a nicely shaped Rhodie that is about 5'x5' and occupies a prominant place in the front yard. It is sited in a fairly sunny spot. It has survived when other less desirable plants have been removed because it is well behaved, low maintenance and looks decent year around. It has pale yellow flowers that last just a few weeks in late April/May. I am considering planting a summer blooming vine like clematis to grow through it to give a little more summer flower power to the spot as I have many spring bloomers and few summer bloomers. I am wondering if that will spoil the look of the shrub though. Anybody grow vines through shrubs with good (or bad) results? Since rhodies have shallow fiberous roots, just where would you plant the clematis (ie how far off to the side?) What is a good summer blooming clematis that looks nice enough for a prominate location in the front yard/near the front walk?

thanks!

Comments (6)