Software
Houzz Logo Print
frivolousdragonfly

Wet and Dark, What Do I Do?

20 years ago

I live in the Russian River area of California, up in the trees, and about 60 feet above the river. I'm really serious about no sun. At high noon on a sunny day, you need lights indoors.

I am sick of GREEN. (not to mention rain, but that seems to be abating.)

I'm going to be doing a lot of container gardening on the decks since my yard is mostly very steep, and ivy covered. But I'd like to put in some color spots that won't be strangled by the ivy, (which is EVERYWHERE)and which will bloom in colors so the omnipresent green has a bit of contrast. I have a few areas by steps and such that I can plant small shrubs. The ground is wet, clay, and full of rock. I don't think it ever totally dries out since one of the things that the landlord worries about is mold. Because of the pines and redwoods, we really get very little direct sun.

Anyone who has any suggestions, please help. I planted a couple of astilbes, one lady at the garden center recommended impatiens, and I put in a hydrangea just to see what it might do, but no one seems to actually carry much that is recommended for shade.

I haven't had to deal with this sort of thing before. Last time I was gardening, I lived in the midwest. It's been a few years, and a very different climate.

Frivolous

Comments (2)