Software
Houzz Logo Print
ian_wa

Proteaceae flowers

18 years ago

Got a few Proteaceous plants flowering at the moment in my growing area so I thought I would share.

{{gwi:1078672}}
Banksia spinulosa var. neoanglica. This flower has been on the plant since at least last October but the dark styles are relatively new. I think this ought to be hardy to about 20 degrees, though I can't say I know anyone who has tried it. Many of the Banksias are hardy to about 20-25 degrees.

{{gwi:1078673}}
Top view.

{{gwi:1078674}}
Bracts of Leucadendron 'Rising Sun'

{{gwi:1078675}}
Leucadendron 'Wilson's Wonder' (syn. 'Bell's Sunrise'). This is hardy to at least 20 degrees.

{{gwi:1078676}}
Grevillea aquifolium. Hardy to at least 15 degrees but it doesn't grow very fast.

Comments (8)

  • 18 years ago

    Those are interesting! Looks like you are raising quite a few seeds!

  • 18 years ago

    Here are a few of the Grevilleas blooming now in my garden.

    {{gwi:1078677}}
    'Clearview David'

    {{gwi:1078678}}
    'Poorinda Queen'

    {{gwi:1078679}}
    'Poorinda Elegance'

  • 18 years ago

    Wow - those are gorgeous! Love that pink grevillea! Looks like you have them in gravelly soil. I have been trying to start eucalyptus from seed with very poor results. Do the grevilleas and leucadendrons need to be inside in the winter?

  • 18 years ago

    Great pictures Ian. I just purchased my first Grevillea at Steamboat Island nursery - victoriae - I am wondering how fast they grow? It is a few inches tall now. Can I look forward to blooms this fall? Thanks

  • 18 years ago

    Dave,

    A few inches tall, you probably wouldn't get any flowers (one or two), but next year you should.

    By the way, you can go to http://www.angelfire.com/bc/eucalyptus/desertnorthwest/ to buy most of what Ian was showing us. That's Ian's nursery. I have bought from him and his plants are usually much bigger than a few inches and you can expect flowers from them sooner.

    Sorry Ian if you didn't want me promoting your nursery, but that is how I have found plants I wanted. By people saying what nursery has them on boards like this.

    John

  • 18 years ago

    Hi John, thanks but the web site lists a lot of plants that aren't available now (my fall list from last year) and I am sort of un-officially canceling the spring mail order season while we try to complete the move and recover from a rough winter. Hopefully I'll have a new list by fall. Ian

  • 18 years ago

    Sorry, I forgot to answer the questions. The Leucadendrons were in a greenhouse for the winter, but it did freeze in there a couple times. They can certainly take some frost but it's hard to say which ones might actually be semi-viable outdoors in our climate long-term. The Grevilleas, it really depends on which one - some of them are totally hardy, others not. The ones pictured in my second post are outdoors permanently in my garden and receive no protection, although it is only the second year for 'Poorinda Elegance'.

    Grevillea victoriae grows fairly fast - if you're lucky you might get a flower or two this year but I would say to expect a good show the following year.

  • 18 years ago

    >Grevillea victoriae grows fairly fast - if you're lucky you might get a flower or two this year but I would say to expect a good show the following yearForm that Colvos Creek nursery sells may shoot up above head height within several years, flower in one gallon pot. But the scattered nodding bunches of curious flowers don't show much until the shrub gains some height and volume. Even then it will never look like a rhododendron in flower. It will have nice leaves and draw hummingbirds.