Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisakk_gw

Need nice broadleaf hedge for screening

20 years ago

I know a ton about gardening, but I've always avoided large hedges because they usually look so massive and overgrown. Unfortunately, our new house borders a cranky neighbor with two huge blue tarps. This is a south-facing woodland edge. What are some attractive choices? Spiky branches would be a plus since he harrasses my sons when they play too noisily. Anything between 8-20' high and 12' wide would work. I would prefer to not have to do any pruning. It doesn't have to be a fast grower -- I prefer that it look attractive for a long time.

Comments (10)

  • 20 years ago

    Myrica californica.

  • 20 years ago

    I have a Schipka Laurel hedge that is doing very well. It has dark green leaves and gets white flower spikes. It isn't as big as an English Laurel. It grows fairly fast for me.
    I also have Eleagnus Augustifolia, but it would take more trimming if you wanted a more formal look. It has some thorns and it has sweet smelling flowers, which you can't see very well, but you know when you walk by the area that it is in bloom. It's slower growing than my laurels.

  • 20 years ago

    'Schipkaensis' is merely a named cultivar of English laurel (Prunus laurocerasus). I do not think any of this species should be planted here anymore, it is popping up frequently from seed.

  • 20 years ago

    Bamboo is perfect for this situation.

  • 20 years ago

    Bamboo would work if

    - A vertical kind like Narihira is used, that won't produce culms that lean over into the way on your side or over onto the neighbor's side

    - A root barrier is used, so it doesn't spread into where it is not wanted

    - Both you and the neighbor don't mind the papery, abundant litter it produces

    - You don't care if it gets full of bamboo mites, a likely happening in this region

  • 20 years ago

    It wouldn't be near 8' wide, but how about Emerald Green arborvitae at 7' to start?

    It would be at least 8' in a year or so.

    Except, I plant blue columnar junipers on the ends and at intervals in some arborvitae hedges to be natural pillars or columns. I shear the junipers about 1' taller than the arborvitae.

    Those junipers would be Skyrocket, Moonglow or Wichita. All three will shear into columns if sheared from year one.

    It's an interesting hedge look.

  • 20 years ago

    These are great ideas. I'm in a similar situation, except the neighbor has children who run wild and have no concept of staying in their own yard. Oh yes, and they (father or children) periodically vandalize my home, too. Any fence that's built or anything that's planted near the property line will somehow be damaged.... :-( I'm almost tempted to try something thorny, though, assuming it will just be throwing away money.

  • 20 years ago

    I went with the Myrica californica on bboy's advice. It took me four weeks to find any of them, but I think they'll make a nice looking hedge.

  • 20 years ago

    Seriousley though, we know you can't go over and give your ignorant neighbor a floggin on the noggin. So a hedge is a wise choice. English Laurel or Golden Bamboo would screen him out. I have a few English Laurels on my property that I grew from cuttings in 1992 and they are now like trees at 15'ft tall and very wide a bushy. Cheers, Joe

  • 20 years ago

    It's not a big leaf, but Darwin's barberry gets tall, is attractive, and is quite capable of self defence. I have a small one that is leafing out nicely now, though I did have one branch die when I transplanted it. AKA Berberis darwinii.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Heavy Timber Specialists | Best of Houzz 2020!