Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaali_maali

Tulips and Daffodils

kaali_maali
15 years ago

I planted nearly 90 bulbs of tulips and 90 bulbs of Daffodils last fall for this spring. But what I find only daffodils are blooming and I do not see a single tulip blooming. Are they not suppose to bloom together? Did I lose all the tulips for some reason?

Comments (5)

• clairdo2
    15 years ago

my daffodils are always earlier then the tulips...

• awalkinthegarden
    15 years ago

There are early, mid, and late blooming tulips. Depending upon which variety you have planted. I am sure yours are fine.

• tambo747
    15 years ago

I planted daffs, hyacinths, and tulips (for the 1st time last fall) which were all supposed to bloom around the same time. They are planted in a 90 degree corner bed. Those on the sunnier side are doing much better than those that don't get as much sun. 1 type of daff is almost ready to bloom, along with 1 type of tulip and 1 hy on the sunnier side. On the other side, there is only 4 inches of foliage growing for each bulb. I was expecting the back of my entire bed to be full of color by now!!! Not the case.
    You should at the very least see foliage, and if you look inside your tulips you may be able to see the "flower" still wrapped in green foliage emerging.
    Watch them over the next few weeks. I suggest taking notes as to which varitey bloom when, and their heights, so that in the fall you can transplant them accordingly. At least that is what I'm going to do.
    FYI, If your going to keep the tulip bulbs for next year, don't forget to let the foliage turn yellow, this process allows the bulbs to absorb as much nutrients as possible ensuring healthy bulbs and blooms for next year.
    Good luck!
    Tammy

• kaali_maali
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys for your answer. It was my first time... I was feeling butterfly in my stomach whenever I would see no tulips... but they bloomed in first week of may and they were as big as bowls... and so colorful... they did just great. Thank you so much for the support.

• kaali_maali
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was weeding the garden and my little 1 year old was watching carefully and lo... she weeded 3-4 tulips and I found the tulips already have three bulbs attached to the original one and the size of the bulbs were as big as the original bulbs... I quickly buried them in the garden but they soon turned yellow and died other tulips are still green and standing... I think they will produce either bigger or more bulbs....

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath