Software
Houzz Logo Print
northwestbirdluver

Rhaphiolepis indica Indian Hawthorn ?

20 years ago

I've been thinking of getting one of the small varieties of Rhaphiolepis with pink flowers. It would work perfectly in one area of my garden. However, I'm concerned because I've heard they are very prone to a leaf spot around here. All of the pink-flowered ones they have at the nursery where I work do look bad. But they were crowded back behind bigger plants, so I thought maybe being shaded with poor air circulation had something to do with it (and I bet it did). But a lady I work with at the nursery told me they ALWAYS look like that.

Is there any way I could prevent this problem? I really like the looks of this plant, and the fact that it's evergreen. I've seen very healthy ones at the South Seattle CC Arboretum.

Are there any truly resistant varieties, and are they readily available?

Please share your experiences with this plant. Your advice will be appreciated.

Comments (7)

  • 20 years ago

    Try R. umbellata instead.

  • 20 years ago

    So, is there really no way to prevent the leaf spot? If I got one, would it be absolutely sure to get it?

    Are there any varieties of the R. umbellata with pink flowers? I've only seen white for that species. White's okay, but pink is prettier. :) And I want one that stays fairly compact, as well.
    The reason I wanted this plant was because of its small size, drought tolerance, because its evergreen, and I think it's an attractive plant.

    Thanks.

  • 20 years ago

    The dwarf umbellata is the most compact and diminuitive that I have seen. The pink ones are quite good about spotting up--I call them Crapiolivetips--but there are some nice specimens around here and there anyway. Same as with Fraser photinia, which is commonly infested and spoiled by the same pathogen.

    Hot spot with good drainage--but not real droughty--for these.

  • 20 years ago

    I had a pink one in several locations around the yard trying to avoid the leaf spot but after six years, I ripped it out.

    I have a friend with a huge photinia hedge that is in horrible shape, is there any hope for it? It is a much needed privacy hedge, or should they rip it out and plant something else. It is almost totally defoliated with leaf spot despite being in full sun and on a slope so drainage should be good.

  • 20 years ago

    Slopes do not alter internal drainage of heavy soils. Many slopes here weep water for all or part of the year. Sometimes houses in view neighborhoods built over clay take off and head toward the Sound after rainy periods, slipping down the slope over the greasy soil beneath.

    The photinia hedge will just have to be replaced, I think most people will not want to undertake and keep up a spray program and really shouldn't anyway, due to health concerns.

  • 20 years ago

    No, they won't. They have many animals. They live in a rural area about an hour southeast of Portland, slightly drier country, their slope definately doesn't weep and hasn't been effected by building disturbance.

    What would you suggest they replace it with? It blocks view of neighbors who keep trash vehicles/junk around their house/barn and also shades their house. Although almost completely defoliated from leaf spot it isn't doing either at the moment.

  • 20 years ago

    The spot I would put the plant would be in pretty hot sun almost all day, and the soil is not heavy. It doesn't drain perfectly, but it doesn't retain moisture for very long. I can always add better soil.
    I am also open to any other suggestions for a shrub for this spot. I just need one that loves full sun, can take drought, stays fairly small (as I've already mentioned), and blooms in spring. Almost everything there now blooms in summer-fall. I would really like it to be evergreen so the area isn't so bare in the winter (but I suppose it doesn't have to be). I have a lot of perennials in that spot, so there's not much there in the winter.

    Thanks again for your advice.