Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709406

slow Vegetable garden

20 years ago

Hi,

Does anybody have any ideas why this year the summer veggies in my garden are not producing?

my Vegetable garden is somewhat slow this year. I had Salad for a long season, lot's of Berries, even a few Radishes, which for some reason I am not able to grow in the NW. Peas did great, although I planted them a little late, so they got too starchy during the heat wave, my Fennel did great until those 100+ days, then it bolted. I am getting tons of carrots out of there, one of my success stories, there I never had that many carrots from my garden.

But my Summer Veggies are not producing much. Tomatoes are just slowly getting a little color, my Beans barely make enough for fresh eating. Last year I planted the same amount of Pole Beans and I was able to freeze enough to last me all winter and spring.

My Zucchinis are doing okay for me, but they also don't make enough to be able to support the neighbors. My yellow sunburst patty pan squash, last year I harvested a few everyday, this year it is one every 3-4 days.

Peppers and Eggplants I didn't get any last year, this year I put them under plastic and they look great. the peppers are even getting Fruit now, none so far on the Eggplant though.

Is it just me, or is this a slow year for Summer Vegetables?

Is it too cool at night?

Any suggestions?

Isabell

Comments (5)

  • 20 years ago

    Same story here in Portland. I can't explain it. All my cool-weather stuff did good though.

  • 20 years ago

    Where did you garden last year? Yes, the nights in the 50's here do a number on heat-loving vegetables. I have grown some peppers but eggplants are difficult here in the ground, somewhat better in pots where the sun heats up the soil better. I start my tomatoes about Feb. 15, plant out under tunnels in April, and they still take 130 days when the DTM should be 70.

    The beans should not be that much of a problem, though, what did you plant? Some of my heirloom beans do great, especially pole beans. Contender always does great too, a fast-maturing bush bean. I'm amazed you can grow carrots here, they don't do well for me, though the voles like them. I also have trouble getting many pea seeds to germinate without being eaten or rotting. Squash do seem to form slowly here, but I have a really bumper crop a cucumbers this year, I'm even learning to make cucumber soup.

  • 20 years ago

    Well, that's nice to hear >lolI feel so much better now. Does that happen often, having such cool summers, I mean at night? It does feel good though, much better then the humid hot nights in the south.
    We live in the PNW for only 3 years so still trying to figure out when to put things in the ground and how things grow here.
    Our first year was great. We even had a lot of Eggplants, right outside. Everyyear I had tons of tomatoes and Beans. Just not this year.
    I bought this great Vegetable Book from Steve Solomon 'growing vegetables west of the cascades', I can recommend it, so much info. So I am trying to follow his advice.
    But I didn't get my Tomatoes in quick enough. First we were gone, then it was too cool, so I waited to put them in the ground. I think it was almost June before they were in.
    So, guess thats one of the reason.
    I only grow Pole Beans, I got these nice green and yellow Haricot Verts from Renee's Garden. And some purple ones, flat podded ones. Both produced tons of Beans last year.

    My Carrots grow good now, because we moved our Vegetable garden to a new area, which was on the downhill side. Too get a flat garden area, my dh put retaining walls in and then filled them in. So right by the wall the ground is really nice, loose and deep. Great for Carrots. Last year the carrots didn't grow that great. I think the compost and gardendirt we got from Lane Forest product wasn't composted that great and had too much nitrogen. Carrots don't like too much nitrogen, they get real hairy roots and to much top growth. They didn't taste great either.
    My peas I did start somewhat late this year, around Beginning of April, I think when it is too wet, they rot.
    If we wouldn't had the heatwave and a secret garden helper (nobody will admit it >lolMy best success this year are my Blackberries. I probably already got 15 kg from them. (I am German, that's the reason for kg instead pd), I got lot's of them in the freezer and made some jam with Blackberries, coriander, rosemary (just infused the fruit with it) and Blackberry liquer. Yumm.
    I also baked a few cakes with them.
    They must like cool summers, those Blackberries.

    Isabell

  • 20 years ago

    It's not just you, it's not just the Northwest. These folks, known for their abundant harvests, are saying the same thing: http://pathtofreedom.com/journal/
    My winter squash and melons have plenty of female blossoms but are setting only 1-2 fruits per plant. Not enough bees? Perhaps. In some cases there aren't many blossoms for the bees to pollinate. I have a bell pepper plant that set two fruits and then never put out another blossom.

  • 20 years ago

    Here on the SW Oregon coast, IMHO, we are having the coolest summer in years - and that means trouble for the garden heat lovers. I have rows of simply beautiful tomato vines, as big and healthy as I've seen, but they won't set fruit with night temps in the low 50s. Funny, but when I lived in Florida, the problem was "high" night temps, which also hinder fruit set! If only we could know in advance how warm/cool the summer nights would be, we could plant just the right crops! My lettuce, beans, potatoes and squashes are doing just fine.

    I'm convinced that soil temp is the key to success - sev years ago I made successive plantings of Brandiwine tomatoes at 50, 55, and 60 degrees soil temp with interesting results. At 50 degrees, the plants just sat there doing nothing. At 55, they had slow growth. At 60 degrees (a full month after the first planting), the plants started growing immediately, and quickly passed the other two plantings, and eventually became the best producers in the garden!

    So, now I don't plant until the soil temp hits 60 degrees, but this year, that occured about June 10th. And w/o any heat, that probably means a wasted tomato season. But strangely, I have a bumper crop of figs (a real heat lover!) this year -???
    jm

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting