Software
Houzz Logo Print
newgeneral

strawberry care question

20 years ago

In the spring of 2005 I planted a small plot of strawberries. That first summer I pinched off all of the blossoms to allow the plants to get established without the stress of setting fruit. As a result, this is the first year we've harvested berries, and we had a great crop -- enough for my family of 4, plus some for jam and for friends and neighbors. But I noticed that some of the immature fruit was rotting (growing grey fur and turning brown). In the places where this occurred, usually the whole fruiting branch (if you know what I mean) was affected. Now that the season is over, I am wondering what caused that rot or fungus, and what I can do to prevent it or keep it from getting worse? I try to garden organically whenever possible, so I don't want to use any of the very toxic fungicides. Some sort of baking soda concoction would be ideal. What can I do? And when should I do it?

Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County