Software
Houzz Logo Print
ms_xeno

Another Danged Vine Question

18 years ago

I used to have some star jasmine plants along the area where our simple white fence runs between house and detached garage. Recently I threw in the t(r)owel, dug it out and gave it away to another gardener. Despite as much TLC as I could think of, it just didn't grow. After 4-5 years it was the same size as it had been when I bought it. Once the space was cleared, I redirected a downspout (away from the area) and did some amending of the soil in hopes of creating a more hospitable space for a future vine.

What I really want is a climber (no ivy !) that will do well in an area where sun and shade alternate all day long. It's not dappled shade, as there are no trees in the area. I am envious of the trumpet vines and honeysuckles I see around town. However, I suspect that I can't provide enough sun for them.

Whether it's annual or perennial is not important to me, but if it's an annual it must be something I can start outside. (No space to do so in the house.) Evergreen would be nice, but not crucial. Also, it's a white fence, so white flowers or very pale flowers/foliage wouldn't work well.

Suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.

Comments (3)