Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hogan_nj

Going organic with existing shrubs

hogan_nj
15 years ago

I would like to know if before putting compost down should I rake away and dispose some of the mulch I put down a few years ago.It was not triple ground just mulch from local recycle ctr?

Also about 5 years ago I put weed fabric under the mulch.Should I remove this also? Thanks

Comments (5)

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

There's no need to remove the mulch. It's organic matter also.

The weed fabric might be blocking the organic matter from helping the soil. I'd probably remove it.

• hogan_nj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am new at this and learning more everyday. I just purchased Mike Mcgrath's compost book and getting some good basic understanding but have alot to learn.

So I will remove the weed fabric.Should I work the compost in along with the existing mulch or just lay compost on top and walk away?

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

I think either way will work.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Mother Nature lets the leaves fall and then walks away. The new ones do not get worked down in with the old ones unless a passing pig smells a truffle.

• hogan_nj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

One more ? since the compost is mostly from leaves,and for my arborvites,weeping cherry tree etc. would the ph from the compost be ok. I am not sure if these shrubs are more acid or more akaline. Or does this not matter?

Sponsored