Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oakleif

Garden Fun

oakleif
16 years ago

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;

Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Definations-

Chickens: The only animals you eat before they are born and after they are dead.

Dust: mud with the juice squeezed out.

Mosquitoes: An insect that makes you like flies better.

Chemicals: Noxious substances from which modern foods are made.

Know someone can come up with some better ones.

A fun site. Be sure and take the Mad Grdeners test.

Comments (23)

• oakleif
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry GW would'nt take my link even when i tried their own example.
    s-o-o-o The site is; http;//home.golden.net/~dhobsen/jokes.html

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

are you teetering on winter boredom???????????

william

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Here's the link.
    Any bit of humor at this time of the year is necessary!
    Tired of looking at seed and other catalogs. The mailbox is stuffed with them every day! I know the mail person is tired of them and believe she throws away any that won't go in the box, as some of my favorites haven't arrived yet.
    Sunny today. Rain, sleet and snow all day yesterday. Temperature never made it above freezing today, even with 10 hours of sunlight. Church services cancelled due to driving safety concerns. First time I ever remember that happening. I seldom watch the TV anymore, same with listening to Radio. The cat is scratching on the kitchen door, wanting his reward for laying around all day and I'm inside wanting to get out. Tired of doing indoor chores. Yes, William, winter boredom has arrived! but my seed haven't!
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Humor

• beerhog
    16 years ago

Drinking here so I can be gross.
    #2 Fish and caviar is another.
    One other is veal if it is what I think it is (abortion)
    nasty,
    beerhog

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

Rb- i understand. the only reason i don't get bored is if the temps are so low i can't work in the garage, i get on the computer and cause bigger problems. blue poppies are my latest quest. oh well!

william- trying to do it in yellville.

• ceresone
    16 years ago

Isnt veal just young calves under a certain age? sure hoping you're wrong, Beerhog--but I dont like veal anyway!

• oakleif
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm not teetering on winter boredom. I done fell off that wall.

Greg, veal is definately not what you think,tho it is young beef. Is'nt it about time you climbed
    Magazine again for more pictures?

It is supposed to be warmer tonight but still a winter mix. I've got bean soup cooking with a varity of beans,lots of onions and sausage links.

I hear you, rb. My 2 dogs think they need treats for lieing around all day on my divan.

• jspeachyn5
    16 years ago

Why is it that all sumer long I keep-saying "I sure need to do a bit of sewing". or some other indoor chore. And now I can't bring myself to start the task.Grandaughter been after me to fix her bed skirt. I just want to mess around in the garage and dream of summer.
    I think it is going to be REALLY cold out. My hands are swollen and can't move w/out hurting. Trying to decide what type of trees to plant this year to replace the ones I lost. Yes my "Baby" 123 lb. mastiff is as cold natured as me. so I have to drag her out in this weather...yes it's funny to see. Then she is so pleased w/herself when we get in she thinks she needs a treat. I think I should get one. Stay warm, keep dreaming of spring.

• oakleif
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL!!js, join our exclusive club "Don't do today;What you can put o-f-f." Please!! no comments from William and ceresone.

My baby,Dillen is only 60 lbs and it is he who does the dragging to get me out the door. Most of the time i point to the doggie door and tell him to walk himself (big pen).

• mulberryknob
    16 years ago

So I'm not the only one who never can seem to get the winter jobs done. I hate to sew so putting that off is easy, but I really like to paint--when I ever get to it.

Veal is defined as calf meat and a calf is a calf until it is weaned--at 8 or 9 mos., at which time it is 3/4 as big as its mother. Our family has never eaten anything else but a calf removed from the cow and the grass at that age.
    Much better flavor than grain fed beef imo. And grass fed beef--veal--is higher in omega-3 fatty acids.

• jspeachyn5
    16 years ago

oakleif, I can't even begin to think how much cold air would come in a "doggie door" for mahala. Let's see head at my hip and her shoulder about top of knee.. nope way too much cold air. But then I would only have to push her out. lol.
    I keep telling my self to walk past those geraniums I over wintered in the garage. But I really want to pull them out and get started. oh well, I painted at night last summer. wow what a job. have a great day all.

• oakleif
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My dogs go out too fast to let in much air. You might be surprised how fast your dog goes out. They seem to hate to be half in and out.
    I've got to know where you got the name Mahala. It sound exotic.

I can imagine an antique rose named Mahala rose. A big cabbage rose that smells like a breath of heaven. LOL!!
    vickie

• jspeachyn5
    16 years ago

OH oakleif.. you make me lol. smells like a breath of heaven. yes I love the smell of a wonderful rose as well, but.. saying that w/reference to mahala. lol lol she way does not have the same 'rose" smell when she wants a kiss.
    I'm not so sure about exotic. It is a cherokee word, meaning swift and strong. little did I know when I named her she would be so swift and strong!
    Must say though she does like my flowers. She never gets in them or eats them, just smells and sometimes licks.
    Oh it sure is cold. Hurry up spring.
    Found out I have a grey squirrel in my attic, ug! now to get it to move on.
    Bonnie

• minirose1
    16 years ago

Hadn't checked the Garden Forums out in a while and am so glad to see an Ozark forum. You can be sure that I will come back often to see what is happening!

• ceresone
    16 years ago

Oh, come back often, Minirose.
    Sometimes, esp. in winter, we wander off topic a bit (we're going stir-crazy, waiting for spring) But--we have so many ways, you're bound to like some of them, as they say around here.

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Yes, please do come back. We have a little trouble keeping this going in the winter.

• oakleif
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Welcome minirose. Glad you're here.

js, knew the name mahala was exotic. I had a dog once that liked to smell flowers and picked and ate blackberries.

My seeds have'nt come yet. hope they come soon.Still have'nt gone out to check on my spring flowers. The ones next to my house are'nt up yet.

I finally got Williams pictures from China. E-mail was dated yesterday. I think he sent it in Dec. Talk about slow mail.

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Welcome Minirose! I'm sure you'll enjoy comparing gardening notes with other Ozarkers.

Oakleif - Your dog must've had a tough nose. Blackberries are hard to pick without getting stuck. I haven't checked for any flowers coming up either. There should at least be some daffodils poking through the soil.

• gldno1
    16 years ago

My daffs are showing.. Seems early to me. Nothing else that I have found, except some roses are greening up. Very strange.

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

gldno1- daffs came up here last week. very short though.

william

• jspeachyn5
    16 years ago

no daffs here, yet. Oakleif, I have to agree must have been one tough nosed pup. remember having to pick for mother growing up. My but between the scratches and chiggers, yuck. I hope this isn't like last year. My hosta came up early and I had to keep going out to cover them up till the "real" spring arrived. Oakleif I think that would be "snail mail" lol. Had 2 rick of oak delivered yesterday.

• oakleif
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That e-mail was slower then snail mail. LOL
    Finaly went out to check my flower beds and under the leaves i found mums,sedum,daylilies,springflowers,creeping phlox showing new growth. With all this cold weather i'm amazed too. Yes it is strange. Down in Clarksville, a friend saw some dandelion blooming close to the ground. I did'nt even see any of mine showing green. Chickweed is coming up though everywhere and violets.

I think i've got the link process down now. So would like to link to an Alaskan newspaper article about hunting and no hunting on the tundra.

Here is a link that might be useful: It Was The Third Caribou

• razorback33
    16 years ago

If you haven't finished your New Year's ordering yet, here's one of my favorite nurseries. Their list is rather lengthy, so be prepared to spend a while perusing their offerings. It is almost guaranteed that you won't find these plants locally or anywhere else, for that matter.
    Sorry William, didn't see a listing for blue poppies, but they do list the most popular type, revered around the world for it's medicinal (and recreational)qualities.
    Be sure to check out their book listings, also. Some are real classics?
    50 days until it's officially springtime, winter is almost half gone, so keep warm and hang in there!
    :Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Shady Deals Nursery

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County