Software
Houzz Logo Print
bryn12

Kitchen nobs

14 years ago
I need help to choose some new modern kitchen nobs. I'm redecorating my kitchen/livingroom and I thought that by just changing my rather boring knobs, with some fresh colorful new ones it would make a big difference. My kitchen is all white, and I'm open for any color or shape! So, any idea which ones I could use? :)
The picture isn't my kitchen, but I'm planning to paint the wall in that same blue color.
Thanks !

Comments (32)

  • 14 years ago
    Maybe the answer is not new doorknobs, but no doorknobs. These days it's quite common to have a little push knob behind the cabinets. But if your looking for actual doorknobs, try a handle rather than a knob
    Good luck!!
  • 14 years ago
    There is an interesting collection of knobs on this page, maybe you could find one you like here: http://www.houzz.com/photos/products/fun-knobs
  • 14 years ago
    Top Knobs is a great source for pulls in a variety of styles and finishes. http://www.topknobs.com/Default.aspx
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    think about the adjoining spaces and surfaces. Dont know the color of your countertops - but if they are earth toned, then would go with a darker knob/pull. If you are trying to go more contemporary and keeping light with blues and whites would suggest a polished nickel pull. I love Restoration Hardware for hardware. Scale is important - use knobs larger than you would think. I love using pulls on doors and they can be attached to the bottom (horizontally) for a fun/modern twist.
  • 14 years ago
    I agree with Donald. Glass was also my first thought for thie same reasons of looking modern and classic.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Look at a company called Richelieu! Nice contemporary knobs and pulls. There are also contemporary glass pulls that would be a beautiful compliment to the gentle arch of the hood if that is the one you are using.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Try the "Asbury" knob at Restoration Hardware, it will give you a nice look.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    For fun, funky, interesting...handmade, hand-painted ceramic knobs and pulls check out MacKenzie-Childs.com/decor/knobs. I have them on all my kitchen cabinets and drawers. I chose the solid black round knob to bring out my other black accents. You will find a good selection. have fun with it!
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Just because of your absolutely gorgeous stove fan, I would try and marry the look and I think that Ikeas Bastig handles and knobs would give the perfect marriage. vertical handles on the doors and knobs on the drawers. Using the hole in the doors as the bottom of the handles. would look Fab. Good luck
  • 14 years ago
    She said that's not her kitchen, so it's tough to make suggestions. Personally, I prefer pulls over knobs for practical purposes. Less likely to catch on pants pockets etc. and easier to open when your hands are full. If your appliances are stainless steel, brushed stainless pulls that are similar to the fridge and oven handles look nice. But glass knobs add a beautiful custom touch. Knobs4less has a good selection of knobs and pulls at great prices.
  • 14 years ago
    Look on Etsy for something different and ideas, I'm doing custom ones I found on Etsy for my new kitchen.

    I've also seen leather pull tab style that look kind of cool and modern, search under "leather cabinet pulls". I would Google "modern cabinet pulls/knobs/handles" and see what all pops up. You can also do it under Google Images, I sometimes find great ideas that way.

    If you're doing the walls in a similar pale shade of blue as in the picture, find a bolder/deeper color of blue to coordinate it. Or if you're planning an accent color, use that for the knobs too. Think of things you like to do (hobbies), you might find some that play off of that. It's all personal taste and there's lots to choose from out there...to me, that's a bigger problem, too many choices!
  • 14 years ago
    A common mistake is to choose knobs or pulls with a contrasting color to the cabinets, causing them to "pop out" to the eye and distract from the overall appearance of your cabinets. Knobs are primarily functional not architectural and should blend with your overall look. Top Knobs is a good source. Remember too to be sure you like the feel along with the function. You use them constantly and they should be comfortable to the fingers.
  • 14 years ago
    Do not skimp on your knobs. A quality knob or pull will "set off" the kitchen and add interest to the cabinets. I have learned that cheap knobs can impact the look of the entire room. Check out the solid pewter knobs, and pulls, at www.VicenzaDesigns.com. Also, it is a nice fact that they are made in the USA - not some cheap Chinese import!
  • 14 years ago
    Not having seen the actual kitchen I think good quality polished or brushed nickel knobs on the cabinets and pulls on the drawers would look nice against simple white cabinetry and stay in the cool tone palette of the blue walls. I would choose the finish to coordinate with stainless steel appliances if she has them. And I'd put in a new faucet in the same finish to keep a pulled together look. The idea of glass knobs is great too - a bit of retro charm for an otherwise spare modern cabinet style (if this photo is the same style as the poster's). Do not cheap out on the knobs - they get handled constantly and are subject to lots of wear and tear so go for quality, cheap ones don't hold up and look worn quickly. Good luck!
  • 14 years ago
    Has anyone ever painted existing knobs? We recently changed out all kitchen knobs/pulls and didn't know what to do with the old ones (it seemed so wasteful to throw out a box of perfectly good hardware but our local charity wouldn't accept them). We are now about to start on all the bathrooms. I'm wondering if we can "recycle" some by painting them. I wonder if this person might do the same with her "boring" knobs.
  • 14 years ago
    Definitely handles, maybe with pulls on the drawers. And definitly bigger than the ones in the picture. be able to get 4fingers into the opening of the handles. What color is your faucet and range hood?? How about your light?? Coordinates its at least one of these.
  • 14 years ago
    Try faucet. com. I got brushed stainless in three different hole sizes as I couldn't change my holes. You will be sorry if you put colored knobs or pulls especially if you have a lot of cabinets. I know as I once did something like that. Use accessories to bring in color
  • 14 years ago
    Colored knobs and handles meaning nickel or bronze. They would add a nice contrast to the plain white cabinets. Definitely add accessories for "color".
  • 14 years ago
    @rebeccarogers - I can't see why knobs couldn't be painted, probably use spray paint or paint for appropriate material, or might have to go to craft store. Depending on what current knobs are, you see all these creative people changing them by gluing things on, etc.
  • 14 years ago
    Brushed nickel knobs on the upper cabinets and brushed nickel pulls on the lower cabinets. Maybe a rug with blue and orange in it.
  • 14 years ago
    DEPENDING HOW BOLD AND BRIGHT YOU WANT TO GO, YOU CAN USE A BRIGHT COLOR SUCH AS LIME GREEM OR ORANGE TO OFFSET THE BLUE AND WHITE SURROUNDINGS. THEN ACCENT YOUR KITCHEN WITH STAINLESS STELL TO CREATE A CLEAN MODERN LOOK LIKE BOWLS OR PLACED VASES WITH FRESH GREENS AND WARM TONES. THIS WILL UPDATE YOUR LOOK PLUS ADD CHARM.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    We just redid our kitchen White cabinets, black counters. I used large black knobs, instead of the usual brushed chrome. Looks fantastic (kitchen was featured in HOUZZ about a year ago)
  • 14 years ago
    Dianelautz, sounds beautiful. Don't know why people are so afraid to go bold.
  • 14 years ago
    @rebeccarogers - I've painted my outside door hardware so why not paint indoor cabinet handles! Plan on painting all my indoor door handles/hardware from shiny brass to oil-rubbed bronze.

    I love the style of the bin pull for kitchen cabinets & drawers, sometimes mixed with a straight bar pull in same finish. With that blue, depending on YOUR style, most any finish could work except brass.
  • 14 years ago
    I really like the range in the pix. Does anyone know who the manufacturer is? (GE? Jenn Aire? etc.)
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Here is a link to our modern knobs at Custom Service Hardware: http://www.cshardware.com/jvj-hardware/jvj-hardware.asp. Take a look at what we can offer and give us a call at 800-882-0009.
  • 14 years ago
    I agree with bagaroo that a no knob approach is a good look but you still have to deal with the holes from the existing knobs. I've seen flat rectangular "knobs" or pulls that dip a bit below the door, allowing you to flip open the door from the bottom lip. From your picture it appears that such a "knob"/pull would work on the cupboards but not the drawers, unless you were to attach the pull on the side of each drawer. The effect is geometric but subtle and unique.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Less is More , why have Handles and knobs ? its a pain, having to clean them , I prefer a neat look .
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Less is More , why have Handles and knobs ? its a pain, having to clean them , I prefer a neat look .
  • 14 years ago
    My experience is that fingernails tend to scar cabinets without knobs. Even smaller pulls leave the cabinet exposed to damage due to the way that people insert their fingers into the pulls.
  • 14 years ago
    Cabinets need some kind of handles or pulls to have a finished look.