Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

Broken Katie Moragne Progress

elucas101
10 years ago

As many of you know, my Katie Moragne was assaulted by the post office and that resulted in a severe break. The top was only attached by a very small bit that remained connected.

I left the top attached for several weeks to see if it would have a chance to recover and maybe still get some moisture from the main part to keep it strong in the process and also to callus as well as possible.

This is the break after callusing for a few weeks - the lighting is off, it's not dark at all, it's a very light, very good looking callus.

It was hard to tell exactly how much it was still connected, as by the time I received it the sap had dried and I couldn't pull the top back too much. I began to realize it was connected enough that it must be providing moisture because it wasn't wrinkling at all, and the last few days I began to notice it was clawing. So...I figured, it's time. It's hard to tell in the pic but in person I can tell. Not the greatest pic but this is one of the tips starting to claw:

Front view of clawing:

I was hesitant to do it but I knew it had to be done. I snipped the top off and got a good look at the connection. You can see the part that is callused and the part where it was attached.
Top part (again, the color is actually a clean cream color):

Bottom part:

Although that area that was connected isn't that large, I really debated on whether to pot it up or let it sit longer. I decided to go for it and pot it up. I dipped the bottom in rooting hormone & was about to put it in a clear bottle when all the sudden I realized I was missing the most obvious solution: The mother ship. Although I won't be able to see the roots I thought it would give the tip the best chance.

Feeling hopeful!

Comments (7)