Software
Houzz Logo Print
carbar78

Styling a large mantel

13 years ago
Looking for advice on styling the fireplace mantel. It is so large but I love it. Want it to make the room cozier but stylish. Would like to use a family photo we put on canvas. Do we hang it or just lean it? What other accessories would look nice?

Comments (11)

  • 13 years ago
    I would try to get something to hang it with that would not damage the wood - Lowes has plastic hooks that say they hold things - have glue on them or you could get a small easel for the mantel perhaps. Nice fireplace.

    As for the other accessories, you could get a nice black candle lantern to go with your fireplace accessories. You also might want to check out Blenko glass website. They make handblown colorful glass. Use a color that you are using for other accessories in the room or if you have not started accessorizing take a color from the photography and use it for different pops of color throughout the room. Sometimes if you post pictures of the whole room you get more advice.

    You have a lovely home.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    To warm the look of fireplace area...I would consider a deep rich brown tone. This would create the feeling of a wood look. You could also have mirror cut to fit the squares above fireplace. Then place on mantel different height crystal candlesticks. A group of three on one end ...your canvas leaning...and another glass pc...like a tall vase. You can stick with your glass jars as shown...fill with mother of pearl beads (craft shop)...or during holidays (gold/silver glittery balls).
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you! I actually was going to post a larger picture but as you can see, there is so much baby stuff, EVERYWHERE. I am currently working with a blank canvas because we just moved in so even the fireplace accessories can go. Our couch is the same tan color as the chair. I would like to get rid of the recliner and add a couple comfy chairs with some color. We are wearing navy and cream with a park in the background in the family photo. Just checked out Blenko (the vases are gorgeous!). Have you ordered from them? The lack of shipping estimates concerns me, I don't want to pay more in shipping then I did on a vase. I more than doubled our square footage so I am feeling a bit overwhelmed in the house right now. I have to pick all paint colors this week and have no clue what I want to do in each room.
  • 13 years ago
    The fireplace stops abruptly at the upper wall area. Looks odd. Would look better if this area was filled in with similar wainscoting. A taller fireplace adds additional drama to room, too.
    Marble & Walnut · More Info


    I like very little at the fireplace area. Let the beauty of the fireplace speak for itself. Hang the painting or family portrait or mirror. A candlestick on either side of frame is enough or if you like asymmetry something like this:
    Living Room · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Hi carbar78! I'm going to suggest seashells in a glass jar to play off the cream in your family photo.
    Signature Properties Model Home II · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    do an ebay search for Blenko while the signed pieces are a better investment the choice is substantial.
    You might also consider having the photo redone in a sepia tone and sized to fit the center square. Quite a nice piece of trim work!
  • 13 years ago
    Darken the trim on the fireplace to a woodtone chocolate and center your picture, sized appropriately in the middle panel above the firebox. A little bit of gold paint, brushed on and then wiped off will highlight the molding.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The fireplace size and mantle is great. The large moulded piece above mantle is off scale with fireplace and does not work with angle of the ceiling. I would remove altogether. Bring focus to mantle: now you could add tall, chunky, wood candlesticks on one side and lean large (16x30") rectangle artwork piece in centre. Chose a low flat ceramic or glass bowl for opposite side of mantle, in a colour you decide as your accessory colour... Robins egg blue, lime or eggplant perhaps. Family photos work well in a hallway in a grouping of several, gallery style.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Also you could add solid wood bookcases to flank fireplace about two thirds the height of mantle. Either have them same colour as mantle or a warm darker wood. The bottom shelves could have stylish baskets to store toys.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    HI carbar78, Marie here.

    First, you need to define your style.
    Second, after that style is defined (modern, traditional, vintage) you need to find an inspiration point.
    Thirdly, when that inspiration point has been established you then look for items that build on that inspiration. Building and building, trying out various sizes, shapes, mirrors, items, ornaments, pictures, etc. until you have the look you love.

    I have attached photos of one fireplace, two completely different looks to prove my point that you need an inspiration point. The black and white Victorian Vintage fireplace was the painting of the bird off to the left.
    The colourful Boho Chic fireplace was the Koby Chair with Ikat fabric - then I pulled colour, texture and pattern from that...

    There are common items in both shots - the fireplace grille and the silver log table, but other than that these rooms have completely different moods and design aesthetic.

    good luck - hope this helped!
  • 13 years ago
    The woodwork piece above the mantel - I would like to see it replicated at the fireplace level, it looks odd and out of place alone.
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz