Software
Houzz Logo Print
soeur_gw

Corn Earworms and Squash Bugs...

20 years ago

... are an annual pain in my [anatomical part] that I battle. And I usually lose.

Has anyone out there found an effective means of combating these pests? I'm serious about finding *some* means of getting semi-intact ears of corn and having my zucchini plants last longer than 3 weeks.

For the record, I've sprayed rotenone/pyrethrin every evening for the squash bugs, which just seems to slow them down a little. It kills all the ones I see, but there seem to be so many more hiding out of sight somewhere. Each morning there are a slew of new ones, and egg masses, and babies. It's depressing. The plants just go downhill and eventually succumb to the onslaught.

I've read about putting a drop of mineral oil on the tip of each ear of corn. But, sheesh, I grow a fair bit of the stuff plus I work full time. Has anyone tried this? If it really works, I'll get a dadgum headlamp and do it at night.

I'd appreciate you folks sharing your experiences -- especially your successes!

TIA, Marty

Comments (5)

Sponsored