Software
Houzz Logo Print
reneecd_gw

Daylilies - anyone done any hobby hybridizing?

21 years ago

Who among us are the big daylily folks? I know I've met a few at the swaps. I'm wondering how much fun it would be to start collecting the pollen and doing the whole hybridizing thing.

Renee

Comments (13)

  • 21 years ago

    Im certainly not a "BIG" daylily name, but give me some time.

    I have done some hybridizing though, and have some "keeper" seedlings that I brought home from my mom and step-dads place this spring. I would like to end up showing them at the annual Myrtle Beach hybridizers meeting this Thanksgiving. Becky and I have been buying plants this year pretty heavy to build some stock up. I have had a blast creating my own plants as well as helping with my mom and step-dads efforts.

    I would suggest getting to know a local hybridizer or joining a local club. The information you can gain from those that have been doing it for a while is invaluable.

    The first thing I did was to identify what really turned me on as far as Daylilies go. I noticed I always liked the dark purples and bi-tones, so that is what I started working toward. Good plants is the best place to start. research your plants habits. One thing I hate to see is a beautiful flower with a bud count of 12.

    I3

  • 21 years ago

    Oh me too!!!! I crossed some plants last year and have seedlings doing the slow grow process right now. I also bought a few seeds on the "The Lily Auction", which I just got planted last week. I've already about wore the ground out to my GH checking to see if the babies have been born. The ones I started last summer were up in 10 days, but in the cold, I've only had 3 out of 200 germinate so far from seeds planted in January. I've read every article I can find on hybridizing and I learn more each day. If any of you want to do some swapping, JLMK. I'm not real sure of how to handle and freeze the pollen, I'll have to go back to the book on this one, but I'm sure I can learn. Hope to hear from you and May God bless you and yours with his loving Grace, Mona

  • 21 years ago

    You guys are killing me! I feel like such a moron.
    We need Lucas to chime in on this tread too.

    Ok Doug and Mona Lisa, ya'll need to share the wealth at the Swap. I mean info as well as flora!

    Thanks Renee! ;-)

  • 21 years ago

    I know this isn't the place to ask but I didn't know where else to go but I need an answer to a question... How can I make easter lillies grow in tn.. I live near fairview and I love a bargin buy can I make easterlillies come back here please please let me know..

  • 21 years ago

    where is lucas @ (thedaylilykid) he has (i believe) 125 named varietys in his yard. if i see him in class tonight i'll tell him to come check this post. ~Ryan

  • 21 years ago

    Is anyone out there a member of the Middle TN Daylily Society?

    Lucas and Doug are the Daylily guru's.

    Doug is probably licking DEI wounds. Isn't Jr. in the mid-20's in the standings? Sorry Doug, I couldn't help it. You gotta kick that dog while he's down 'cause it won't last long. ;-) I heard his quote about clearing out some deadwood, did he mean Teresa?

  • 21 years ago

    All right Jeff, You drew me out of lurkdom with the DEI crack. And I was just cruising around minding my own business. As far as DEI goes, itll never be the same without the man at the helm. I find myself pulling more often than not for a former DEI driver, Steve Park. He won the truck event in California a couple weeks ago making him only the third person in history to win in all of NASCARS top three divisions. And DEI let him go. Go figure!

    If anyone is interested in joining their local Daylily club, where ever that might be, I can probably get you the contact info. I have a couple of club presidents from around the region(10) coming to help judge our show this year.

    And just in case your interested, our East Tennessee Daylily Society show will be on June 18, this year at the Knoxville Center Mall(I think I have everything taken care of so far). So mark your calenders now! I expect to see some of you guys there.

    I3

  • 21 years ago

    Renee,
    Our friend, Betsy (lilylace), is big into Daylily hybridizing and I'm sure she will be happy to answer any of your questions at the swap.
    Virginia

  • 21 years ago

    Doug I thought that would get you out lurckdom too! Quit working so hard and post more.

    Anyway I can get some of those daffs?

  • 21 years ago

    Well, for the foreseeable future, my schedule will be leave the house at 5:20 am and get home around 9:00-10:00pm. Ya gotta love it. As a matter of fact, I just walked in about 10 minutes ago.

    As far as the daffodils go, the ones in the pics were either his seedlings or they were his hybridizing stock. He does have some named varieties in the open market. I believe I had a picture of his SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY in our webshots. We have some of his "disposed of" seedlings, but not enough to share unfortunately.

    He will have some Daylily cultivars intro'ed through my mom and step-dad this year, I believe. It might be next year. He works on extremely late blooming varieties. Most of his plants at my moms dont start blooming until around late August or early September believe it or not.

    I3

  • 21 years ago

    Sorry it took me so long Jeff, to chime in, but I've been busy! Daylily hybridizing is so easy and fun. I started when I was around 16. It is not a very hard process and it is very self rewarding!! If you have any questions feel free to email me!!

  • 21 years ago

    How exciting!! I have been thinking about hybridizing some daylilies for fun. I am interested in learning how to do it. Count me in. Diane

  • 21 years ago

    So,
    Can we count on some demonstrations at the plant swap, please, please, please? :)
    Renee

Sponsored