Software
Houzz Logo Print
steph103179

When should I start planting?

21 years ago

I just wanted to know when I should start planting my plants, new to this thing you know.

Comments (7)

  • 21 years ago

    That depends on what you are planting and where you are planting it. It's too late to winter soe (it's spring). It's getting late to get a real early start on planting stuff like tomatoes inside. It may be too early to direct plant a lot of things outdoors. Tell us more about what you are wanting to plant, etc.

  • 21 years ago

    I have two inch tomatoes, one inch peppers, and three inch basils indoors in peat pots at the moment. Okras are popping up, should be nearly 1 inch by tomorrow. I am aiming for an April 15 planting (April 7 begin to harden off.)

    Am I on track in your opinions? What date do you set your gardens out?

    I was hoping to direct sow peas and beans but I don't have the garden bed ready yet - still working on that blasted front flowerbed. The weather has NOT been cooperative on my days off! Hopefully tomorrow I can bust it out and get started preparing the garden.

    Comments on my plan greatly appreciated.

    -Regina

  • 21 years ago

    Regina, sounds like you are exactly on track to me.

    "The weather has NOT been cooperative on my days off!" is the story of my life!

  • 21 years ago

    As long as you still need a sweater outside at night, you can still winter sow things in containers...my tomatoes, and winter squash haven't come up, yet...you still have time. If you aren't familiar with winter sowing, go to that forum and read the FAQ....that will give you time to get your beds ready, too. I have peppers inside that have just sprouted.

    Come to the plant swap here in middle TN and meet new friends, enjoy yourself and get a bunch of plants to boot! Keep looking at the exchange page for updates, Let Jeff know if you need any more info. jtoothmanindadj@comcast.net
    Directions...go to www.buffalocanoeiang.com

    Jan

  • 21 years ago

    Out door sowing.
    I decided to try to experiment.. I have been saving dooms from chicken dinners and party trys to make little green houses, I put some different seeds inside and outside.. the ones I put under my domes outside so far look happy.
    they are not leggy like when I try to grow things inside
    What I did was put some seed starting dirt in my front bed
    and cover it with mulch then I pulled the mulch aside and put a few seeds under the dome...Watered then cover with the dome then pull the mulch to the sides of the domes to keep them insulated.. If this works for me I have found my new way of starting my seeds.. but so far so good
    Carolyn in Fairview

  • 21 years ago

    i have never been able to raise seeds...always get tall and stringy...and fall over and die? i would really like to fix this problem, please help
    is there a secret formula!!!

  • 21 years ago

    It's the age-old fight between too much water, not enough water, too much sun and not enough sun. When mine get leggy and then the sun burns them up, I just wait and 9 times out of 10 they show back up about the time I had forgotten I planted 'em.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting