Software
Houzz Logo Print
kim31kim

When can I expect Iris blooms?

20 years ago

Does anyone know when we should expect Irises to start blooming in midTN? I planted some a year ago last summer and I'm hoping that this will be their first season of blooms. :)

Comments (11)

  • 20 years ago

    I assume that you are referring to Bearded Iris. Some of mine start blooming around mid-April. But I have lots of different kinds, and they are never all in bloom at the same time. I usually have about Bearded Iris in bloom for about 4 weeks.

    My Siberian Iris bloom a little bit later, usually starting in mid-May.

  • 20 years ago

    I saw some in bloom along the road yesterday. Couldn't see what they were except they were Iris. I have one that will probably open in a couple weeks.

  • 20 years ago

    Here in Murfreesboro, the peak time for TB's usually starts toward the end of April and goes through the 3rd or 4th week of May (depending on the weather, of course. SDB's will arrive beforehand, Sib's will start sometime in May, with JI's after that. Most of the local iris shows will be the first week or two of May. Ours is May 7th, a week earlier than normal. Don't know the reason.

    Billy

  • 20 years ago

    Usually Tattler, an sbd, opens about April 7 for me with the arilbreds about a week later. But I'll have Appleblossom Pink, an intermediate bearded, open tomorrow, April 1.

  • 20 years ago

    We have some that are already budding but oe of my customers in LaVergne has her's blooming now.

  • 20 years ago

    I noticed that some of my purple ones are sending up buds. It won't be long now.

  • 20 years ago

    My SDB's have started opening up this week, "Ultimate", Bourgeois" , and "Scotch Hopper" so far.

    Billy

  • 20 years ago

    I planted my iris in a location that receives sun from 2:00 until sunset. However, in the fall through winter to early spring this site receives only about an hour of sun.

    This may be a silly question, but I didn't know if the lack of sunshine hours in the winter is of any relevance.

    Thanks for any help.

  • 20 years ago

    My Siberian Iris 'Caesar's Brother' is in full bloom right now and I have one unknown variety purple bearded iris in bloom. The others are just now in bud.

    Raney

  • 20 years ago

    Raney, how does Caesar's Brother compare with the regular non-varietal Siberians? I've been thinking about trying it, but wasn't sure if it is truly different enough to warrant purchasing one....I love my regular Siberians, which are just starting to bloom here in Madison.....

    My other irises have been blooming for two or three weeks; heck, some are almost done! It's really been an early Spring AND Summer is following suit, it seems.

    --April

  • 20 years ago

    Siberians are blooming now here in west tn, some of the bearded have bloomed as well, but not all of them.
    Martha West TN

Sponsored