Software
Houzz Logo Print
farmerbell

Storms--everybody ok?

20 years ago

This afternoon has been terrifying with all the tornadoes passing through middle TN. Hope everyone is ok. Who knew we lived in tornado alley!!

Comments (18)

  • 20 years ago

    So far so good here in the SE corner of TN. I really don't think I need the rain all that bad right now. I can wait until things calm down a little.

    Actually, I know we have people on this forum from the Nashville area. I hope they are okay. Those have been some really bad storms. I also hope it doesn't come my way although it is supposed to sometime during the night. I am not at all looking forward to that, but if it's not here it is somewhere else and I don't wish it on anyone else either. I really just wish the storms would go away.

  • 20 years ago

    I've heard from Jeff, he's ok so far. I emailed several others and no response so far. Norm, Renee, Marianne, Jan, Virginia ?? Everyone ok out there ?

  • 20 years ago

    Hi Everyone,

    I'm so glad to know that the ones above are ok and I pray that the rest of you are too.

    We had our yard completely covered with hail about 5:30 this afternoon. It ranged in size from a dime to golf ball size! Sure sounded bad when we were in the storm house. It has a steel door and boy did it make a racket. It did this for nearly 10 minutes and thats a long time for hail.

    All my plants are torn to pieces, daylilies, iris, hosta, blue bells, viburnums and anything else. It stripped all the new leaves off the trees. With that said, I'm just so thankful that we are all ok. I'm sure my plants will survive, they will just look pitiful for this year.

    I pray that all of you are ok, please let us hear from you. May God bless each and everyone of you with his loving Grace this stormy night, Mona

  • 20 years ago

    Hi Everyone,
    I hope you are all safe. This has been a most scary day where we live.
    I haven't been online til now. My phone service is wacky and all afternoon I couldn't get any calls out thru my cell. It has been wicked my way. My son Brian was coming home early from work around 2:00 pm, he was coming from Madison thru Goodletsville to where we live in White House. If you see the pictures on the news of the church that was so torn up, that was where Brian was when it hit. He says at first he didn't know what was going on. --- he was caught up in the debree field of the tornado as it came thru. He was on the interstate --- I-65 at Long Hollow Pike and all he could see was brown/black and flying stuff, the tornado actually was on the ground about 50ft. ahead of him. He watched a pick-up truck ahead of him like it was floating just go sideways and get slammed into the guard rail. Lots of cars on the interstate there were thrown off the road,but he said the people were okay.
    He got off the interstate and when he got on Long Hollow all the power lines were down and across the road. One actually went across his car roof, but it was still intact. Mansker Creek, where there was so much damage and parents weren't able to get their kids from schools is right there too.
    As soon as he could he got turned around and back on the interstate--It went thru sooo fast!!! There have been storms after storm blowing thru. Golf ball size hail and terrible winds. I admit, I was really scared for a while here!
    My youngest son Patrick wasn't able to get home til about 7:30 tonight because of the Interstate being so backed up ,all the alternate routes he tried, he wasn't able to get thru so he had to wait it out.
    I am so thankful to have all my children home and safe!! The tornado that Brian saw go across I-65 went on into Gallatin, did horrible damage, killed two people there (as last I heard) and demolished many businesses. Sooo much death and destruction!!! I hope all our friends are safe and continue to be safe during the night.
    Brian said all he could do was pray , that it was surreal--- he was still quite shook up when he made it home. Thank you for checking on us. I hope you and all our gw friends stay safe and warm tonight.

    Marianne

  • 20 years ago

    Hey Jeff,
    Don't your parents live in Goodletsville??? How did they make it thru all of this??? Did they do all right??

    Marianne

  • 20 years ago

    All is well here on the Buffalo River...all the storms went either to the north or south of us. We got 1" of rain.

    Marianne, I'm so glad your children are all safe.

    Let's hear from rest of you...let us know how you are.

    Jan

  • 20 years ago

    Hi All,
    Eric and I are fine. We were at Vandy when the storms came thru, and they skirted around the downtown area. No damage at home on the southern tip of Davidson County.

    Marianne,
    That is terrifying! I've seen the pictures of Long Hollow pike and I'm so thankful that he got home OK. What a close call!
    Renee

  • 20 years ago

    Mona! I am so sorry about your plants, but so thankful you are alive !!! You know your TN friends will replace anything that you lost, just let me know what you want ! The storms didn't hit here full force until 10:30 last night so we were basically up all night. I've never in my life seen such bright lightening. Marianne, I was so relieved to get your email and know that you are alright. I asked Aric to look up what county White House TN was in and when he told me and it matched the name of where they said the worst of the tornados came down I tore the place apart looking for your phone number. Like you need to be on the phone during a tornado ! Havn't heard from Jeff this morning, Jeff !!! Also Norm, has anyone heard from him ?

  • 20 years ago

    I haven't checked into this forum for awhile but thought I'd let you know we came through the storm ok here on Cagle Mountain. We had a tornado warning issued for Cagle at 9:09. When things started sounding really bad we headed for the crawl space under our house. We are on a slope so one end is high enough for a sitting position. DH had worked for a couple of hours fixing it up. Ran an extention cord from the generator source so we could have light if the power went out. Put an extra heavy bolt on the door and even took down the air mattress and a couple of blankets. We were down there almost an hour but were pretty comfortable. We could hear the hail hitting the brick walls and the door. Our NOAA weather radio gave us the message when the warning was lifted. Everyone should have one of these things.

    Glad to hear that the rest of you are safe also.

    Raney

  • 20 years ago

    I am an occasional poster/reader here and I thought about the ones here that where in the path of these terrible storms. Believe me when I say that I kept all of yall in my thoughts yesterday. TN has been hit way to hard this week. I am in Dyer Co and know first hand the damage, heartbreak and loss that people are feeling this morning in the middle of the state.

    littlebit

  • 20 years ago

    This storm missed us in west tn. Trying to calm down after
    the last one. Feel so sorry for everyone who got hit. Glad everyone here is OK. Where is Jeff? I can't send him Email.
    Mona don't worry about a few plants, you guy's are whats
    important.
    Norm
    PS order new ones now for the plant swap.

  • 20 years ago

    Well, that mess of storms pretty well skirted us too. We had some thunderstorms roll through in the wee hours of the morning, but that is all. I am grateful.

    Sure thought about the rest of you. I know it was unbelievable where some of you all are. I haven't ever experienced anything like that and can't even imagine what it must be like. I hope I never do. My thoughts and prayers are with those of you who might have lost friends, family, or belongings.

  • 20 years ago

    Mom & Dad are cool. They are in G'ville but they're on the southern end back towards Nashville. They are about three miles south of where the action was. All they got was a 1/2 of rain.

    65 at Long Hollow was tore-up!!! Marianne, Brian was one lucky dude! 65, Dickerson and Gallatin roads were parking lots after the twister came through. I'm surprised that either youngun got home before midnight.

    I looked at a dozen homes in Gallatin today that were roofless and windowless. Most were total losses.

    One of our friends from church lives in Hendersonville and when the storm started heading their way they went down in the basement. When they went back upstairs, there was no upstairs. Their house is completely gone!

    I'm sure going to be busier than a one-armed paperhanger for the next few months.

    Everyone, please call your insurance agent and make sure that your homes are insured to value with replacement cost coverage!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • 20 years ago

    Everything here in Murfreesboro seems to be fine considering two hail storms roared through here yesterday. The house seems to be o.k., but the early iris and hosta's didn't fair well. I'm not complaining though, it could've been alot worse. However, a couple of my co-workers live in Gallatin and and on Long Hollow Pike. Have not heard any definate word on their places. Early reports were they were o.k. though. Please pray for those in Gallatin and also in McMinnville.

    Billy

  • 20 years ago

    Never in my life have I made sure I could get in my basement until now...I used to love thunderstorms but after this week i will think a little different, I had my cats in a carrier and my yellow lab (100lbs) drugged, my son was sleeping in my lap. I have an emergency plan now and my three cats will get over being put into a carrier together.

    I have put emergency supplies and a good heavy table down in the basement along with a bigger cage for the cats.

  • 20 years ago

    Just wanted to say that I-65 from the top of the ridge to Madison is still pretty much long term parking --- they have 3 lanes shut down and only one open. Gary and the boys had to try to get into town to work today and getting thru is almost impossible today , still is difficult tonight. I think this clean up will take awhile. It's wild to see all the damage --your mind sees it like it used to be and it's such a shock to see everything gone where familiar buildings were just yesterday.It really makes you thankful for your life and grieve for the loss others may be enduring. I hope
    everyone stays safe.

    Marianne

  • 20 years ago

    It's sure good to hear from all of you. We had a tornado hit our home in 01,lost 41 huge trees to it, my then new greenhouse, and about $20,000 damage to house and car. It was a shock and it will take you guys a long time to get over all the damage. The hail damage we had Friday was nothing to compare to what you had. I was walking through the garden just a few minutes ago picking up broken plants and hoping that next year it will be better and so very thankful that our home was spared and that all my family were safe!
    The clean up from these storms can take years. You do what must be done asap. The rest you put off until you can't stand it anymore. We still have about 5 trees down on the ground litterally rotting into some fine compost from the 2001 storm. These are in the woods away from the house and you know what? They aren't hurting anything or anyone and are actually helping to build some fine soil! So, do what must be done and help others get their must done also, especially the elderly. These things really hurt them so very much.

    Love to you all and may God bless you each and everyone with his loving Grace this beautiful Lords day, Mona

  • 20 years ago

    Scary stuff!

    A dog trainer that one of my friends trains with lives/lived in Dickson. Her home AND her kennels were both completely wiped out. Thank God she and the dogs were all gone when the storm went through!

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio