Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattflake_gw

What Happened??

mattflake
18 years ago

Hello everyone,

Ive been lurking for a while trying to soak up all the infomrmation available here. Now I've got a problem that I cant figure out. 2 of my early girl plants are going south on me quick. They were doing great until about 10 days ago when I noticed the new leaves and branch tips seemed to be twisted and not growing right. Since that time the plants have gone from a deep dark green to a light pale green, some leaves are turning yellow. The stems also look weird, they are covered in bumps. The plants have flowered and set alot of fruit but now I'm worried that they won't live long enugh to ripen it.

The plants are in 10 gallon containers with a bunch of holes drilled about an inch up from the bottom. They are planted in potting soil, I don't remember the name but its sold in a brown bag at HD. Ive fed with miracle grow every couple of weeks and also mixed in some E B Stone organic fertilizer when I planted them. For comparison see the pictures of my two other container plants, a celebrity and a Black Krim that seem to be doing fine and have been treated the same as the Early girls. I also have a couple of early girls in the ground that are doing terrific.

I need to figure out if this is a disease that could spread to my other plants, or if I have some how screwed these plants up and it is reversable. The only thing I can think of is that they have gotten too much water.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

Comments (5)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Matt, just a few questions.

You say the problem is with two Early Girl plants. How many of them are you growing and is it only two that have this problem?

And all of your other plants are fine?

The yellowing leaf picture strongly suggests powdery mildew of the one kind, for there are two different powdery mildews and the one I'm referring to is Leveilulla, which is often found in the so called Doom and Gloom areas of S Cal.

Please check out some pictures in the Problem Solver #2 links to confirm that tentative diagnosis.

And once I hear back from you re the Early Girl situation re all your other plants we can go forward.

But yes, too much water can make plants have yellow leaves, but all yellow, not like the one you showed unless it's a total plant problem with very advanced Poedery Mildew, but in any case Powdery Mildew does not lead to twisted deformed stems.

Carolyn

• mattflake
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Carolyn,

Thanks for your response. I am growing 5 Early Girls all together and these are the only two with any problems. The other 3 are being grown in the ground, not containers. The two problem plants were put out a few weeks before the others and they experienced alot of wet, cold weather.

I had alot of problems with powdery mildew on my cucumbers last year, so that could be the problem. The pictures on the problem solver look similar. Would that explain the color change from dark green to pale greeen?

Is this something that could spread from the infected plants to the healthy ones? If so I want to get them out of there ASAP.

Thanks Again,
    Matt

• patrickroll
    18 years ago

I also seem to be having simaler problem on some of my tomato plants. the leaves are starting to curl some turn yellow then the dry up on the stem and as in the pic. their seems to be something growing along the stem a lighter green growth as in one of mattflakes pics. please help
    ALSO is their an orgamic solution to my problem

thanks Patrick
    PS I live on the east coast of FL if that makes a diff.

• carolyn137
    17 years ago

(The two problem plants were put out a few weeks before the others and they experienced alot of wet, cold weather.)

If that's the only difference then, I'd let them go for now b'c they should recover.

(I had alot of problems with powdery mildew on my cucumbers last year, so that could be the problem. The pictures on the problem solver look similar. Would that explain the color change from dark green to pale greeen?)

As you probably saw int the pictures, with that kind of Powdery Mildew it starts out as yellow patches and then they merge together and the whole leaf turns yellow.

When foliage changes to a paler color very often it's b'c the growing medium is water saturated and so oxygen and nutrients can't get thru the roots to the plant. Is that a possibility in your situation?

(Is this something that could spread from the infected plants to the healthy ones? If so I want to get them out of there ASAP.)

Powdery Mildew is airborne and so you should be seeing it on most plants if you see it on some. The best way to treat it is with Ortho Garden Disease Control, which 8is Daconil, and the best anti-fungal there is.

Carolyn

• carolyn137
    17 years ago

ALSO is their an orgamic solution to my problem

patrick,

Whether it's environmental or a disease, since we don't know what it is yet I can't say if there's an organic solution. The problems with diseases where you are are quite different from CA.

How many plants do you have out, how are they being grown, when did you put them out and please detail ALL the symptoms that you see and whether those symptoms are on ALL plants or just some.

Carolyn