Software
Houzz Logo Print
smokymist

building a pond

21 years ago

I have a pond form, but I'm going to be using pond plastic too for what I want to do. I have a ton of big pretty river rocks. Now....do I need some kind of filter or pump for this project ? I'm very unfamiliar with how to go about a bigger pond. I have several in big containers , but nothing that required any "machinery".

Cheryl

Comments (9)

  • 21 years ago

    Well it depends oon if you're going to keep fish or not. If so, I would suggest a pump and a filter. Tell us more about the project. What size will it be? If you're going to keep fish or not....PC

  • 21 years ago

    It is approx. 6' long , I'll have to go measure it. The form is that long , but I do want to add the plastic over it. I'm not kidding when I say I have at least a half truck load of large river rocks. I would like to put some small fish in there, nothing big of course. I can send you pictures if that would help.

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    If you are planning on keeping a few smaller fish in it, like the feeder goldfish, you should be fine without a pump or filter. You'll need lots and lots of plants though. I have 2 ponds. I have pumps in both of them. It really depends on what you're looking for. Here are pictures of mine from last year. Hope this helps you decide. If you do decide to get a pump, you'll need one that turns at least half the volume of the pond every hour. You could post over on the pond forum too, there's lots of nice people over there....PC
    this is the larger of my 2 ponds..
    {{gwi:1279953}}
    This one shows both ponds with the lighthouse between them.
    {{gwi:1279954}}

  • 21 years ago

    WOW just gorgeous, I'm so jealous !! lol. I see alot of hard work went into those ponds though. Beautiful !

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    Thank you for your kind compliments. Most of the rocks came from out of our field. All I can say is thank goodness for ATVs...lol. My hubby and I dug and layed the rock around the biggest pond in less than a day. It is around 700 gallon.

  • 21 years ago

    Your pond is really beautiful!
    Cheryl, DH and I built a system to place the pump in for our pond. It helps filter the water and keeps slime from stopping up the pump. We picked up a plastic bin slightly larger than the pump, cut out a place for the pump/ hose, drilled holes in it, put the pump in it and filled the box with lava rock. It is an economical filter system.

    The fish love to play in the running water! It makes them so happy!!!

    Mel

  • 21 years ago

    Cheryl, Tim got his pumps and filters at K-mart or WalMart. His pond is 8 x 12 and three feet deep.

  • 21 years ago

    Hi Cheryl, I have a pond that does have an in pond filter system that I bought from Lowe's. This is my second pond my first was a pond from Wal-Mart which was 250 gal and came with a small filter and fountain. This pond is 700 gal and has a larger in pond system with a UV Clarifier to clear up the algea in the pond (I wanted to see my fish and not green water) My friend has a pond and no filteration other than many plants, their pond is larger than mine. Their water is not as clear as mine but the fish do fine and they have less work than I do. With a filter you have to clean it out or the fountain that comes with them sometimes will not work. With my experience less fish more plants not as much work cleaning. More fish more cleaning. Ponding is very addictive. I agree with pond_comet the pond forum has many knowledgable people who are willing to share. Have Fun with the pond!!!
    {{gwi:1279955}}
    Carole

  • 21 years ago

    cheryl , I have lots of pond plants and a new 3 or 5oo gph. pump. We have about 10 ponds ranging from 125 gal. to 1300. we started out with a small one and now they are everywhere. You will never go inside once you get it done. I love ours. My granddaughter loves to feed all of the fish. email me..grannylee

Sponsored