Software
Houzz Logo Print
terry7321

Transplanting Peonies...and when?

21 years ago

I've been blessed with a "Plant Rescue" mission. A friend of mine is no longer able to care for her plants after a bout with cancer/chemo, and has asked me to thin some of her plantings so they're a little more manageable. Some of her beds are going to be replaced by grass, so I'm doing all the work in exchange for the surplus plants (lucky me). It's a perfect opportunity since I have a large yard out in the country and need plants, and most all of her perennials need dividing. Over the past few weeks, I've been weeding and cleaning up her beds (which were more than a little overgrown) and I've been transplanting some iris, daylilies, and peonies and they've all done well (even the newly transplanted flowers have buds and/or blooms, so I must be doing something right). However, some of her remaining peonies are blooming now....should I wait until they bloom before moving them? The ones I moved earlier have done great, but they were much smaller plants with tiny buds, and the temps were much cooler. Now some of the remaining plants in her yard are nearly 24-36" tall and have lots of buds and a few blooms. Do I dig now or wait until the blooming is over? I would bring some extras to the plant swaps, but I almost always work the weekends so that's not really an option. :( --Terry

Comments (6)

Sponsored