Software
Houzz Logo Print
big_orange_vol_

Help Needed - You asked for it!

20 years ago

Guys in an effort to make a few changes and help us become more organized I need your input on a couple of issues. We are going to form a MTPS Committee. Bec, as far as the webpage is concernedI really need you and Doug big-time for this too!

First, we are going to make some changes in our registration process. I'm going to suggest that everyone pre-register on the MTPS webpage and then print out your registration form and bring it with you to the swap. You will have an assigned number on the form which will correspond with your table and your area. No cheating! Even if you are the first ones there on Saturday morning you are still going to have to adhere to the number. So if you want spot number 1 then you had better pre-register when the page goes up. I understand that not everyone will be able to pre-register due to last minute stuff so there will be some flexibility. We can still register folks the day of the swap but this will help us to be WAY more organized. Allowances will be made for the elderly and the handicapped. I'm not going to make old geezers like Norm walk a half mile to their area even though he needs the exercise.

Second, I want you guys to take a few minutes and draw me up your most comprehensive list of swap etiquette. How do we want the swap process to run? I'll take all of these over my email address and when the Committee is formed, we will put it all together and make sure that every attendee has a copy when they pull in the driveway before they set up. It will also be on the MTPS website so there shouldn't be any confusion on what is expected and what is unacceptable. No throwing food at the Secretary will be rule Number 1.

Third, in order that I can actually visit, swap and eat (all other workers too)...we are going to have a rotation of volunteers that will work different shifts, different areas and have different responsibilities. That way we all get to enjoy the day and we don't end up with the same cranky (read me) dozen people that are worn to the nubs eight hours later every swap. Everyone gets a turn. I won't expect the same folks that volunteer to work the fall swap to work the spring swap either. If you really want this to be YOUR swap then you need to help bring that to fruition. No armchair quarterbacking. Everyone needs to pull their weight. Some of us have more weight to pull but thatÂs another story.

Fourth, we need help with lecturers! Marty is the best by far but it isn't fair to keep imposing on her generosity. She's done at least three and the last two in a row now so let's give her a break. If you have any suggestions for a speaker and have a contact or rapport with that person LET ME KNOW! I'm not the Amazing Kreskin. I can't read minds. There are a couple of hand signals that I understand but those arenÂt applicable here. I have my limitations as to who I can go after that will do this for free. You have no idea how many people have turned me down for one reason or another. We can't have speakers that mooch off of Jan and JimÂs hospitality and then demand money from them too. If they would grace us with their knowledge, they need to do so GRATIS! We don't have the funds to start bidding wars for speakers. They can be paid in plants but again, this is a cash-free swap for us and it needs to be so for the speaker as well.

So far those are the big four and if you have more constructive suggestions, other than where I can stick my ideas, please let me know via my email. This is going to be an ongoing process as all things are. Nothing is etched in stone and I'm going to try and accommodate you guys every way that I can but we are going to have to have some guidelines that everyone abides by or else we are back to anarchy and the current leaders always get shot in that scenario. So I ainÂt diggin that idea at all!

Instead of sitting around griping about what was wrong with the spring swap get off your can and help me fix it. Don't complain if you aren't willing to help. (I'm joking ok?) This is you golden opportunity. Grab the brass ring!

So!!! What are you waiting for? Start blowing up my dang email address with your suggestions. I KNOW you want to! Here's your chance to let me have it right square between the eyes. You snooze, you lose.

Comments (16)

  • 20 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I'm there, Jeff. I think the ideas you put forth are fantastic. I was going to suggest the shift thing too - great minds think alike, right? :)

    You'll have my thoughts on 'swap etiquette' in your mailbox soon.

  • 20 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I'll go with whatever the majority thinks best, but here's a coupla comments for public discussion:

    One thing I've noticed about swaps: some people expect actual trades for each plant, while some people give away their plants without expectation of a trade. Then some people, like me, do some of both. I think it would be a great idea if everyone makes clear which system they are operating under -- trade or giveaway -- perhaps with a sign on their tables.

    I don't think anything was wrong with the fall swap, which is the only mid-TN swap I've attended so far. I think so long as we don't try to make the swap too big too fast, everything will be fine!

  • 20 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    This ties into the trade/giveaway system Ione mentioned. One thing I think needs clarifying even for seasoned swappers is what the notepads are for. Before the official swapping starts, some people write down what they want from your table on your pad, while others carry their pad around with them and write down what they want on *their* pad. I found it impossible to keep track of who wanted what as I only knew of about half of the requests as it turned out. (This was aggravated, of course, by folks not understanding swap etiquette and just taking things, but it won't be like that again.)

    One other difficulty was locating table numbers. With pre-registration perhaps we'd have time to devise a showier numbering system that was more visible? I'm thinking stiff, maybe laminated sheets with BIG numerals that could be duct taped on or something. Such things would be reusable, too, although you'd probably lose some every swap due to folks forgetting to return them. But most would come back and it wouldn't be hard to fill in the blanks.

    I love your suggestions, and your thinking parallels mine -- always a good sign to me! :-) And you know I'll volunteer to do whatever.

    Marty

  • 20 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Jeff,
    As a newbie, I will say that the notepad thing I didn't get. I mean if you prearrange, I understand. If your giving away we'll that makes sense to. But if I would like something of yours...and you don't want anything of mine then how do you decide who gets what???? Anyway I will go along with the majority since ya'll have been doing this way longer then I have. Also I will do whatever you want me to do. Thanks
    Martha

  • 20 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I have a couple of problems with this. My wife and I are so
    old we are afraid to buy green banana's and you want us to
    register 5 months in advance. # 2 Our printer dosen't work.
    Can I write down #1 table now?
    Norm

  • 20 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    What about the green tomatoes?

    Norm we haven't even got to the point where we're getting up on the site yet. Patience young fella!

    We will have print-outs too but it will be easier if folks bring their own copy.

    No, I get table #1. You and Marianne are going to have to arm wrestle for #2. :-)

  • 20 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Norm, you'll probably outlast the lot of us. :)

    But maybe for longtime participants of a certain age there could be a set-aside table number that they always get (for example, The Highly Official Norm Layne Ultramaternut Commemorative Swap Spot)? Or is this opening a can of worms somehow, Jeff?

    You may have to break down and get a working printer, though. Can't figure out a workaround for that one.

    Marty (just thinking off the cuff)

  • 20 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Jeff,
    I will print out stuff for Norm and Barbara and take it to them......But I sure would like to see Marianne and Norm arm wrestle for it. Or better yet I bet I can find them a printer. And I think They Should have a permanent spot. Since they are seasoned members...:) Sorry to add fuel to that spark...
    Martha

  • 20 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Ya'll need to stop. You're gonna to spoil him worse than Barbara already has!!!

    How about Western Half A Tennessee And Norman's Ususal Table or we could just use the acronym WHATANUT.

    ;-)

  • 20 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    They sould be spoiled by all of us. My grandparents aren't alive any more. But I would be willing to adopt some. My son is so lucky to have 4 great-grandparents and 3 sets of grandparents. He's so spoiled and thats a great thing to be.........He'll be 3 in 10 days.
    Martha

  • 20 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    This is totally up to the campground...

    Instead of the cost of doing the number signs, could we use bed marking spray paint to draw marks between spaces and paint the # on the ground. You can usually brush it away fairly easily at the end of the day - I know I have accidently done that. One of the problems of this last swap was people weren't even in numerical order.

    Just a simple thought. I hope to remember to bring a white sheet to lay over my plants that are already traded to protect from sun and unauthorized plant swapping. Perhaps with a sign "Already swapped - no peaking".

    As for a speaker, if we ever don't have one volunteer, I would enjoy a Q & A since there are so many learned people in the group. As for topics, I would enjoy info on grafting.

  • 20 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Just a few things off the top of my head:

    Pre-arranged trades should be arranged BEFORE THE DAY OF THE SWAP, and marked as such before they ever leave home. I also think these swaps should be taken care of BEFORE the general swapping begins, so there's less of a chance of someone's pre-arranged trade getting lost in the shuffle, grabbed by some uninformed newbie, etc.

    I agree that the deal with the notepads needs to be worked out in better detail. Maybe we'd be better of with two pads each---one to remain ATTACHED to the table where folks can write down what they'd like, their name and table number, etc. and a second one to carry around and note that same info on, so no one forgets who's pad they've written something on. (Hey, I'm getting old and forgetful, okay?)

    I love the idea of pre-registration, and BIG numbers for the tables. Tables should also be in strict numerical order, IF it's possible for someone to mark off the spaces before people start arriving. And it might be a good idea to put your table number on your plant tags, too, along with your name and the name of the plant.

    I'd also like to suggest that if you have a plant to share that needs to be DIVIDED, please divide it BEFORE bringing it to the swap. A couple of things I really wanted I was told "This needs to be divided since there are so many people here" and when I went back for it, it was all gone. Granted, in previous years this *probably* wouldn't have happened, but...

    Doorprizes---maybe we could just do away with this? In past years, where the swap was smaller, it worked okay, but as things have gotten larger---a lot of people either don't donate a doorprize at all, or donate one and fail to register for one, etc. I think some were left over this time, too. And this would be just one less thing to have to organize...

    Speakers---I really hate that I missed Mary's talk this last time, but I had to leave early because we had out-of-town relatives on their way. (Who didn't arrive until WAAAAY late, but...they're family.) Maybe Norm could tell us all about 'maters? (*grin*) And I do like the Q&A idea, too.

  • 20 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    What is the date for the fall swap?

  • 20 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Saturday, Oct. 21st.

  • 20 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Dang, I missed that one!

  • 20 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Jeff Jim said to tell you that we have 6" cards with numbers from 1- 100 that you can use for the tables.

    THese are all good ideas...this fall swap is going to be the best one yet!

    Jan

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting