Software
Houzz Logo Print
cannahavana

A few DL seedlings...

21 years ago

Here are a few of my favorite Daylily seedlings we have on second year bloom. I hope I don't clog anyone up! Some are mine and some are Doug's.

The first 4 are mine, all dips.

The rest are Doug's, mostly tets, except the first one here.

I am in LOVE with this one!


Comments (14)

  • 21 years ago

    So many beautiful flowers!

  • 21 years ago

    Wonderful! I have babies that I started from seed in Sept 2004 that are really growing. I might get a scape out of a few of the biggest ones, maybe! Now for a dumb question. When you cross a dip mom with a tet father, what do you get, a dip or a tet? I think I've read that they won't cross the other way, is that correct?? I assumed that the cross would result in a tet baby, but I'm just not sure. Hope my babies are doing good. Love to you all and may God bless each of you with his loving Grace, Mona

  • 21 years ago

    Wow! Those really are beautiful, and the picture quality is really good too. I feel like I took a peak at part of your garden in person.

  • 21 years ago

    absolutely beautiful!
    Darlene

  • 21 years ago

    I just want to see some of those at the Fall Swap!!!!! ;-)

  • 21 years ago

    Oh what a royal treat that was! Such beautiful pics. The colors are absolutely fantastic! Thanks for posting those. I love them all!

  • 21 years ago

    Thank you all for the kind remarks!

    Mona, when two daylilies are crossed, both parents have to be either dip or tet. It's a genetic thing. Hopefully Doug will get on here and can explain it better than me.

    Jeff, sorry, but most these seedlings are only double fans. Also, when we are done hybridizing with these, the ones that are not introduceable(is that a word?) quality, they will go into the compost. Sad but true.

    Rebecca

  • 21 years ago

    Those are gorgeous, Rebecca!!!

  • 21 years ago

    Rebecca, let me know when you add to the compost heap! I'll sneak over and raid it!
    Your new treasures are lovely! Wonderful pictures as well.

  • 21 years ago

    Compost!!!?
    Are you nuts?
    You're killing me.
    Let me introduce them to Cheapwood!

  • 21 years ago

    I call dobs on the one with the shaded pink petals, and the deep burgundy one. ;-)

  • 21 years ago

    DIBS, of course. Duh!

  • 21 years ago

    Mona,

    Although I have heard of some folks trying to work Dips and Tets together, it is for the most part a fruitless effort. Those who do try it are usually very seriuos hybridizers trying to find that small grain of pollen on a diploid with an unreduced gamete. If an unreduced gamete happens to be present, and happens to also come in contact with a tetraploid gamete of equal chromosone count then you have made a successful cross of Dip and Tet(assuming the pod doesnt blast). But hey, really, what are the chances you ask? Around 1 in 500 to 1 in 1000 I have heard, so it is conceivably doable. Just seems real frustrating to me.

    Jeff,

    Yeah, right, Im going to give away my lines at the fall swap. Sorry dude, youll have to be happy with already registered varieties. And Canna is right. The ones that dont eventually meet expectations WILL be compost.

    I3

  • 21 years ago

    Mona,

    Here is some more on unreduced gametes by Maryann Pruden from the Daylily Robin. If your really interested, this should help explain it.

    I3

    Here is a link that might be useful: unreduced gametes explained

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations