Software
Houzz Logo Print
northknoxlady

How many brug buds are normal?

21 years ago

I just counted fourteen brug buds on my plant! It had seemed to be sleeping for awhile, but it must having been storing up energy. They all came popping put at once, so I can't even imagine what this thing will look like when the buds all open.

Comments (11)

  • 21 years ago

    I have one out front that I stopped counting at 30. And later on in the summer it's nothing to have 50-100 on a good sized plant. The more you feed then the more they grow.

    Some cultivars bloom in flushes (all at once then nothing) others bloom more in waves. (A few then lots, then few then lots...)

  • 21 years ago

    My bigger brug is only up to just above my knee! Will it bloom this year? I think I see a Y.

    -Regina

  • 21 years ago

    I have a brug someone from Georgia gave me and I planted it around the first week of July. It was just a stick with some roots and a few leaves, but it now has 3 buds on it. Not sure of the color, but will post it when they do bloom. Of the two brugs I got from someone at the plant swap (one died), one is really putting out a lot of branches, but so far no "Y" and no buds. It is very short (8 inches) and full while the one from GA is about 20 inches tall.

  • 21 years ago

    Regina.. just keep feeding it and it will indeed bloom this year. I started last year with one or two and I promise they were match stick size..took care of them daily and they really rewarded me. Feed several times a week and do not forget to give Epson Salt(1 TBSP to 1 gallon H20) at least once a week.
    Hope this gives you encouragement..we all need a little of that at times!
    Merriss

  • 21 years ago

    My brug has a cigar-like pod on it - I assume this is the flower? How long until it opens? It looks little lumpy... is this normal?

  • 21 years ago

    Yes, that's the flower! In a few days it should open and give off that WONDERFUL scent! Once they start blooming more should come quickly. Congratulations!

  • 21 years ago

    Just keep in mind that they don't really have much smell until after dark. Their natural pollenator is a night flying moth. Around here they are usually pollenated by the Sphinx Moth. (I think.)

    As for how many is normal....How many do you want?

  • 21 years ago

    Incredible!!!!! Beautiful! Amazing!! I am trying to imagine the fragrance within 12 feet of this plant. Thanks for sharing.

  • 21 years ago

    How exciting! I love those plants -- and I never ever saw one before I joined GardenWeb. What color are they? They look cream colored, but that could just be the photo.
    Katie

  • 21 years ago

    Farmerbell: 12 feet? Try 30 yards. They smelled up the whole neighborhood.

    DDL: Cream colored? May need to check your colors. That particular cultivar (Becca Lynn) has lemony yellow blooms that darken to an almost saffron color before fading.

  • 21 years ago

    That is a gorgeous brug!!

Sponsored