0
ifraser25

The five WORST tropical fruit

ifraser25
April 22, 2010

I just read a very interesting and entertaining thread on what people thought were the 5 best tropical fruit and thought it might be fun to do the reverse. What do you think is either disgusting or overrated? I'll go for:

breadfruit (nauseous)

jackfruit (not much better)

papaya (bland,yucky)

durian (don't care what it tastes like, that smell...)

passionfruit (either sour or tasteless, full of seeds, love the flowers though).

I'll probably think of some more...

• jfernandez

1.Jambu/Wax Apple
    2.Starfruit
    3.Canistel
    4.Lucuma
    5.Papaya/Black Sapote

• abayomi

Is Lucuma the same as Lucumo?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lucumo

POLL: Annoying Home Noises?

A green tree frog at the fireplace exhaust drives me crazy!!! Quack quack quack ..... I took him off the house wall and brought him to the other side of the fence but he came back quack quack noise all night

5 Minute Refresh - Kitchens!

5 minutes? Hah. In an hour: give it a thorough clean. As in all the counters, the fronts of the appliances, everything that died on the rangetop, the works... and make sure to get in front of the range, sink, fridge and major prep surface, the FLOOR where all the drips happen. Then run a lemon and some icecubes down the disposer; get rid of 'disposer breath' . Put out new towels, clean potmitts, and new dishrag. If you truly only have five minutes, run the cleaning rag over all countertops and hit the major splashup drips on stuff and kill the disposer breath. Take out the trash (aka banish that smell).

Would you rather - Earthquakes or Hurricanes?

I survived the largest quake ever recorded in N. America & the 2nd largest in the world. It lasted for 5 minutes. No warning that the ground is going to open under you, or a loved one. I am very accustomed to quakes. Alaska has more earthquakes than the rest of the U.S., combined. We have one 7-8 quake every year; forty five 5-6 quakes a year; an avg. of 1,000 earthquakes a month. Of course, the tiny ones you don't even feel. Hurricanes I've survived, as well, around the world. Warning is a wonderful thing! And yes, we have winds over 100 mph every year in AK, but we don't refer to them as hurricanes. Beginning with the warning & prep for a hurricane, there is NO comparison between a hurricane & earthquake. So I'd take a hurricane every day of the year, over an earthquake. I love traveling & spending time in hurricane-prone areas of earth... but I won't trade the beauty of Alaska, to live in one of them. So it's a good thing Im used to earthquakes. Just pray I will never experience another 9.2 that lasts for 5 minutes, ripping the world apart, that can swallow one child into the earth, while a child 2' away, is just fine. Oh - yes, our structural design in Alaska is made for earthquakes, so you're perfectly safe, if you visit!

POLL: Do you have fruit trees?

Nailah, you're going to live with the tree a long time, so get one you like. Bare-root season is about over, so you should be able to find some good deals; I got my fig tree two years ago the first week of March for $10 and a cherry tree for $12.50. You can find a good description of a lot of cultivars on the Dave Wilson site and you can find out about how many chill hours your tree will need. I do know that Babcock is a great white peach, and that it blooms a lot later than most, which means the flowers are more protected from late frosts than earlier types would be. Indian Free is the absolute best of the white peaches, and it also blooms late, but it is unusual in that it needs a pollinator. I have both, and they bloom together but the Babcock's peaches are ripe quite a bit earlier than the Indian Free--so the flowers overlap but not the ripening. Perfect.
  • tropicdude

@abayomi yes thats the same one, thanks for that link i have been trying to find a seed source for Lucuma for a long time.

This fruit is best made into shakes, ice cream etc. has a kind of caramel flavor, lucuma is more popular as an Ice cream flavor than Chocolate, vanilla or Strawberry in some south American countries.

in the states you more likely to find Lucuma powder, can also be used in making cakes etc.

I can understand why some folks would be turned off eating out of hand, with its boiled egg yolk texture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lucuma recipes ( in spanish )

• abayomi

so should i bother to buy a grafted tree (at great import expense?)

• mostro

Yeah:
    I firmly believe that for the most part, you should never stop trying varieties of fruits that you think you don’t like. I *never* liked Star Fruit, until I had a fruit of my father’s tree. It was sweet, refreshing, juicy and overall very good. In fact, I now own a tree of the same variety!

Harry, good Spanish Limes are impossible to come across here in the states. Where I grew up, Spanish Limes grow wild all over the place. They become gigantic trees that easily produce 500 lbs of fruit every year. Most trees produce poor quality fruits, but the best ones I’ve eaten, are worlds better than any lychee, longon, and even Rambutan that I’ve ever tasted. Of course, I am not saying that Spanish Limes or Mamonsillos (as we call them) are better, just that I’ve probably never had a really good lychee/longon/rambutan…
    As for papaya, man, it has to be very low on my preference list. Now, Nonis are horrible, no questions asked!
    My friend hated guavas, until he tried one of mine. Good thing my tree produced around 400 of them this year, or I would have to chase him out of my yard! Also, some guavas are seedless and some only have a few seeds…

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area

Coconut,TropicalPapaya,Tamarind,Chocolate,Vanilla orchid,amd maybe pineapple.
    Because I cant grow them outdoors makes them worst in my view.

• liz_wickboldt_yahoo_com

1. Papaya (tastes like vomit)
    2. Papaya (smells like vomit)
    3. Papaya (seeds smell like vomit)
    4. Papaya (seeds look like fish eggs)
    5. Papaya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jac12358

Other than candy form, I have not tried durian, or even been close to one to smell it.

The WORST has to be Noni - though I have not tried that either, but I did smell it. I actually got a handful of seeds from a dropped ripe fruit, and it did have an acidic vomit-like smell, so I wasn't about to taste it. Sadly, only one seed sprouted, and it did not survive long.

On the other hand, I had 2 "stinking toe" germinate. I found the seeds scattered under a parent tree in the Virgin Islands, so the pulp around them was well rotted away and the smell gone. The first one to sprout was albino, lacking any green! After that died another sprouted, and that is green and still alive. I did not know this was a stinking toe when I got it. It was identified as a West Indian Locust I think.

I agree papaya is bland, but I have had rather tasty and refreshing ones when in Hawaii. What a difference fresh makes! Also bought one of the large ones and it was quite good. I've made a spicy coconut thai fish soup with papaya chunks in it that was delicious. Also, consider that you can eat papaya unripe, grated into crunchy strips. I've had many asian salads that feature it.

Has anyone said AVOCADO? Talk about BLAND - you must agree that the avocado has even less taste than a papaya - so it is all about how it is prepared, since when done correctly, I like both.

The Starfruit is pretty good, and I have had more luck getting family members to like that. It has to be ripe to be sweet, turning a yellow-orange color. Yes, it is tart, but so are certain apples and other fruit. They all said it had a citrus taste but I thought it was like a crisp tart grape. Not what one imagines when one thinks "tropical," but that does not mean it is "bad." The paw paw, after all, is technically NOT tropical, but DOES taste like it is.

I am trying to grow a few cherimoyas - I have to say I was underwhelmed with the taste of the fruit - perhaps picked too green and now allowed to properly ripen? I bit like a mealy pear. I expected more from a tropical relative of the paw paw, which is amazing.

Guavas - well I like juices and jellies made from them. Not an easy fruit to dig in because of the seeds, but does well put in a blender with ice cream and milk to make a smoothy (with or without passionfruit, mangoes).

Passionfruit - the look isn't that bad. Best way is to strain out seeds and use pulp to flavor other things. Seeds, I learned, are edible, and so I tried leaving them in and they were delightfully crunchy and not at all unpleasant.

Lot of hate here for breadfruit - you DO know you have to cook it, right? So not exactly a juicy fruit. More of a starch, like plantains. Best to bake it. I also sliced thin and fried it.

Only tried jackfruit once fresh, and once canned. Preferred fresh, and am growing my only tree to sprout from a seed!

Among the similar-tasting lychees, rambutans and longans, my wife and I would rate their taste from best to worst in that order, though none are bad. Genips are a sour novelty, as I suppose is tamarind.

We tried a sapote (mamey?) once, and it was interesting, but not bad. Like eating a room temperature baked sweet potato with a texture between that and an avocado. Seed did not sprout! :o( Neither did seeds of mangosteen and rambutan, thanks, I think, to the irradiation process that was labeled on them. Darn irradiation!

Never eat an unripe astringent-variety persimmon. Otherwise they are sweet and delicious - and I think the local small wild variety have the best taste!

So I guess I've yet to meet a tropical (or any) fruit that I hate. Nobody mentioned kiwis (though not tropical) or pomegranates (somewhat also not as tropical), bananas, pineapple, dates or coconuts, so I guess those must be the best!

• EA14

As a native of a tropical country, this has to be the most amusing thread I've ever come across. :P So amusing I had to register and post a reply.

I can understand the dislike for durian. Even my own countrymen are divided into those who can't get enough of it, and those who think it smells horrible. I think it may actually be genetic or something. Some people are almost pheromonically drawn to the smell, some hate it outright. I'm one of those addicted to it and it doesn't smell anything like what others always seem to think it smells like. The aroma is very pungent, true, but it's a very plant-like smell. Similar to vanilla, only perhaps a hundred times stronger.

The rest on your lists are either because you're eating the wrong varieties, eating horrible store-bought ones, or just plain eating them wrong.

Guava - best eaten when they are just turning slightly pink inside. Still crunchy, but sweeter, less astringent, and easier to chew. Unripe guava can also be eaten, but usually not alone, they are usually dipped in rock salt or some other kind of seasoning (soy suace and chilis is popular for example). Ripe guavas are stll edible, but not quite that pleasant as they can become mushy when overripe. They're usually just made into juice. When they start to smell bad and feel very soft, that usually means they're beginning to rot. So don't eat it! LOL Lastly, you don't pick the seeds off from the fruit! You EAT THE SEEDS. Chew just enough to break the clumps up, but don't try to crush them, you'll end up with a broken tooth. You'll end up having to poo them though, haha.

Passion fruit - are seldom eaten as is. Sugar is usually added. And like guavas, you swallow the seeds whole. Easier too since the seeds are all slimy. That said, it can be very tart so it's more common to just add it to a glass of water, add some sugar, and you get one of the most fragrant fruit juices this side of the planet.

Breadfruit - I've never heard of anyone eating it raw! LOL. It's ALWAYS cooked. One of my favorite comfort food is breadfruit in coconut milk with fish. Yum. Unripe jackfruit can also be cooked this way.

Jackfruit - is one of the sweetest fruits I know. So I can't imagine anyone not liking it. And yes, like all fruits, you eat it at the right time, preferably just after opening it. Overripe jackfruit gets very smelly, while underripe ones (or jackfruit that's been frozen, etc.) are bland. Seeds can also be toasted, though I don't much care for the taste.

Papaya - again, you eat it at the right time when it's still mostly green with the beginnings of the blush of orange and is noticeably softer when squeezed. Knives should be able to slice it easily and the flesh is firm and bright orange. Slightly underripe papaya is also good, crunchy and a bit blander, a bit like carrot except softer. Overripe papaya is like eating vomit. Don't eat the seeds as they are quite bitter. Some varieties are also much much sweeter than others.

Starfruit/Carambola - You eat them when they're light green, still slightly tart but also already sweeter. When they've become orange and brown, they'll be mushy and bland. When they're still green, they'll be almost unbearably sour, like green apples. That said, there are two varieties - sour and sweet. The sour ones can also be eaten dipped in rock salt or seasoning.

Santol - They should be eaten fresh. When you break it open, the flesh around the seeds should not be mushy and still "fluffy" in appearance. And yes they ferment if kept too long uneaten, yucky with an alcoholic undertone.

Tamarind - are also usually never eaten as is. They're either cooked or candied.

Chico/Sapote - again eaten at the right time. They're sweet with a distinctive musky undertone and a gravelly texture when just right.

Jambu - again usually not eaten as is, as they are usually very very bland. It's mostly water after all. You eat it dipped in rock salt.

That said, I don't like guyabanos/soursops and other related fruits though. I dislike the texture. They're excellent for beverages though. Canistel (or as we call it, "tisa") is also bland and starchy.

Also some fruits you may not have even heard of: rambutan, lanzones, pomelo, mangosteen, bilimbi, sereguelas, Java plum. I dislike the latter two.

• dan_nz_gardener

Very interesting thread, here in new zealand its hard to find a back yard that doesnt have a passion fruit vine trailing up a fence, and the taste is sweet and divine, never tasted a hint of sourness, and we just eat them with a spoon crunching the seeds.
    Also ripe avocado is extremely common here and packed with flavour, spread on toast. ..delicious

Dan

• soaht

The secret to eating ripe papaya of any kind is to use some sour(lemon/lime) agent and a little bit of salt. Green/unripe papaya in Lao papaya salad is so good like someone mention previously. You can even use your green mangoes the same way too(mouth is watering just typing about it).

Seng

• thetropicaldude

Wow what a deeply moronic thread.. and it's the one with the most replies too

I only read until the ignorance of reply 3 and had to reply with the obvious:

-if someone thinks 1)sapodilla
    2)mamey sapote, and 4)canistel are "the worst fruits in the world" (when proper specimens of these are among the most delicious fruits on earth) you should tell that to anyone who's lived in a tropical place (anywhere besides ignorant Florida) so they can have a good laugh

No offense intended. But seriously, lol.. What are you all doing ON A TROPICAL FRUIT forum??

• wardog25

Just came across this thread. I live in Florida now, but having spent many years in South America, I had to register an encouraging word for the poor, maligned papaya.

Even growing up in the tropics, the trees were hit and miss. People would learn the bland-tasting papaya trees and the fruit would be ignored or the tree cut down. But if you got a tree that produced sweet, excellent papaya, there was nothing like it. I could never understand when I moved to Florida why so many people say papaya tastes terrible. Then I bought one at the store and I understood.

Picking papaya green so that you can sell it at a grocery store is a sure way to make it horrible no matter what tree it came from. EVERY time I see a beautiful looking one in the store and buy it, I regret it. I think, SURELY that one will taste good. And it never does.

So now I'm trying to grow some trees myself to see if I can get a good one. If I can't, I guess I'll give up on papaya unless I ever move back to the tropics.

(for the record, guava was somewhat similar as well, in that if you got a tree that produced nasty bland fruit, you'd wonder why you ever liked guava. But we learned which trees were good and frequented those ones)

• ianbrazil

I agree Papaya should never be picked green though the Vietnmese do so and eat it with salad. It is definitely not sweet in this condition. As for guava, you can do the same thing, but in Brazil it is mostly made into a rich sweet marmelade, eaten with cream cheese. Delicious.

• tropicbreezent

But it's also very subjective. Not everyone's taste is the same. And store bought fruit is not a good source of material to make a judgement on. Often they're pumped ip with chemicals to increase weight/size. Also picked to be more transportable, ie green. And some fruit is produced for cooking, not for eating fresh. Those are often picked and cooked green.

• RastaYoga

Least favorites:

1.) Tommy Atkins mango
    2.) (bad) papaya
    3.) Sapodilla
    4.) Persimmon
    5.) (bad, super seedy) guava

Fresh local durian is probably my #1 favorite fruit, don't care much for the frozen crap they sell in Asian markets.

Brett

This post was edited by RastaYoga on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 14:45

• greenman62

Papaya has to be RIPE to be good.
    completely ripe....
    when they sell it in stores they have to pick it green and let it ripen, which never works out like it should.
    a good cultivar and a papaya that has ripened on the tree is excellent.
    stuff you buy in stores is crap.

that goes for LOTS of fruit...

• gonebananas_gw

I have liked most of what you all have listed you don't like, though I more have had durian specifically in cookies and such, not raw.

One I did not like was (I think) muntingia, with a very strong musty smell and taste, if I recall right..

• slopfrog

I had a seedling of Hawaiian solo sunrise papaya given to me. I was told one of the finest varieties in the world. I grew it, nurtured it, and got lucky that the plant happened to be bisexual. I was so excited when it set fruit. I watched them every day, and was heartbroken when fruit were aborted. Eventually, it grew one to full ripeness. The day had finally come, when I could go from hating store bought papaya to loving home grown ones...

Too bad it still tasted like the crotch of a morbidly obese person who hadn't bathed in a week.

I am officially done with papaya forever.

• smallfern

Just my small contribution & hope to revive this topic - greenman62 is right.

I grew up with papayas in grandma's backyard in the tropics. I now have papayas in my backyard in FL (9b).

You have to let it fully ripen on the tree. After harvest, it's best to let it sit 1-2 days by your window with morning sun, then sniff the fruit. When it has that fruity smell (don't know how to describe "fruity") you put it in the fridge for 2 hrs, then cut it!! You will never dislike papaya again. :D

• sapote

"Papaya: nature's boring fruit"

make sure the papaya you had tried are not from Mars. I find papaya from Hawaii are great.

Sapote

• bunti

Papaya is an yummy fruit. I am from india. we used to have papaya tree in our backyard. one tree fruited for almost 2 years like one fruit a day, since it started fruiting. they are really really yummy.

You can make them ripe on the tree out you can cut them when are changing color.

you can also eat little ripe one. its going to crispy, but tasts really good.

I have eaten few hybrid ones, which are tastless. After coming to US i have tried papaya they are tastless.

It depends on the variety too. next time I go to india, i will try to get few Tasty papaya seeds, if anyone is interested.

• kittybouquet

I agree that papaya smells like vomit. Maybe I've just had bad papayas.

I like tamarind chutney and tamarind margaritas.

• rottilover

I agree with everyone else, Papaya is a horrible bitter fruit but it doesn't even come close to breadfruit. I tried breadfruit for the first time last night and I have been vomiting every since. I guess I need to say that I ate it raw. It was very very ripe, had a great taste but about 30 minutes after eating it I was hugging the commode and projectile vomiting. I will NEVER eat breadfruit again!!!

• rottilover

Has anyone else eaten raw really ripe breadfruit and then found yourself projectile vomiting for hours on end?
    Now I'm talking about eating it by itself. Not mixing it with coconut milk or anything else. Just the fruit alone. I had never had it before and my landlord brought me one the other day and he and his wife both ate some. (just a few bites) and it didn't bother them. I've read where it can cause nausea but I haven't heard anyone say it made them physically vomit. Am I the only one???

• sapote

"I agree with everyone else, Papaya is a horrible bitter fruit "

Had you ever tasted Hawaii papaya -- the small size and orange/red inside?

If yes then you taste pallete needs to be re-calibrated :)

• glib

that is mamao in portuguese, Sapote. I always had two for breakfast when in Brazil, together with two bananas and two guavas. All great fruit. And for jackfruit, jaca dura is unpleasant and usually fed to pigs, but jaca molle (soft) is nice, although a little heavy on the digestion, a bit like persimmon.

• sapote

I total agreed with glib on these fruits. You have great ....taste.

• greenman62

agreed Sapote.
    papaya is wonderful if you get it at the right point of ripeness
    often to send to the store
    they are picked green... very green.
    yuc.

besides ripeness, also variety, temperature etc...

papaya with an orange color skin is wonderful

• zarafet

Omg, I LOVE Jackfruit and durian!!!! I can't get enough of them (I'm Hispanic, they are normally popular with Asians).

I can't stand:

1. Star fruit
    2. White guava
    3. Bread fruit
    4. Papaya (I grow TR Hovey for its looks)
    5. Papaya
    6. Papaya
    7. Papaya
    8. Papaya
    9. Papaya
    10-1,000,000,000. Papaya

• bunti

I have tried papaya in US Few times. But they don't taste good. In 1-10 scale, I give 0 for papaya fruits that are available in U.S. The varieties you find in india are the best. I want to get few seeds from india next time I visit and grow them even though I live in zone 7.

coming to guavas...

i don't like the taste of ruby supreme guava. There are very bad. I don't know why they are being propagated when there somany superior varieties. Try the fruit from Asian markets. If you taste the right one, you will give first place to guava. Guava comes year round. The fruits that comes in winter months are tastier.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area

Mountain papaya- Babaco is not good.

Tree Tomato Cyphomanda I think it is...same.

Rose Apple..if your starved for fresh fruit.

Thats three I know of.

• Steph

Ooh stinky bean! My company works with a distributor in malaysia and they delight at introducing American guests to such delicacies as durian and stinky bean. Or as their kids call it... SMELLY BEANS! (yelled in a tone of delight)

SMELLY BEANS! Thank you for making me think of that. It always makes me smile.

I had delicious papaya once. Only once. I have never had papaya in the States that I would voluntarily put in my mouth. I have heard that about the hawaiian ones, but my experience with grocery papaya has been so bad I think I'll let somebody else pick one out and taste it first before I try any. ;)

I'm disinclined to decide I don't like fruits based on common supermarket varieties. I "hated" mangoes for most of my life until someone introduced me to better varieties than Tommy freakin' Atkins.

Here's a tropical fruit I hate: Pineapple. To me it tastes terrible. I'm not really fond of cherimoya either - it has kind of a pineappley taste. Am I the only one? I almost never meet anyone who has strong negative feelings about the pineapple. Yeah, I know this one is a matter of personal preference, but so are durians ;)

• Amaryllis H

Noni juice has been found to cause autoimmune liver disease, per the FDA; I tried it once, had a severe reaction, and went looking for what might be known about the stuff and found that out (a little late). Thought I'd mention.

• steiconi

I love papaya, but I eat it fresh off the tree, so it's probably a different experience. I like all kinds, but the pink fleshed ones are the sweetest. I've had green papaya salad many times, but prefer the ripe fruit. Papaya seed dressing is good, too; the seeds have a peppery taste.

Lilikoi (passion fruit) makes GREAT vinaigrette or marinade. Use it in place of or in addition to the vinegar in any simple recipe. Leave the seeds in!

I like guava enough to spend the time blending the fruit and straining out the seeds. Then I freeze the pulp and use it in smoothies, oatmeal, and other stuff. I grow ruby and chocolate varieties. I don't know why they call it chocolate guava, it doesn't look or taste like cacao.

Fried breadfruit is delicious--if you like fried stuff. Yeah, I do, give me more! My tree is only about 6 feet tall, I hope it fruits soon.

I briefly lived near a noni orchard. Wow, what a stink! Can't stand the fruit.

I think rambutan and lychee are bland and boring. Ditto starfruit. Double ditto plantains--unless they're fried, of course.

Tree tomatoes are gorgeous, but not particularly tasty.

Yellow dragonfruit are not worth dealing with the spines. Other dragonfruit are delicious.

I guess it's all a matter of personal preference.

and rrandomizer5, there's nothing wrong with being a white person.

• parker25mv

I would hardly call Lychee boring. The fruits have a nice texture and a rose scented perfume to them. The only downside is that eating too many of them begins to make the back of my throat feel just a little irritated. I do not have this problem with Longan, but unfortunately Longan has a much more bland flavor than Lychee, without the rose perfume aroma. It basically has a melon flavor. Longan seems to be just a bit smaller than Lychee which means that there's more of them to peel, another downside.

Another problem is that Lychee and Longan do not taste good if they are not fresh. If the fruits begin to taste sour and lemony, that means they have gone bad. They only last a few days off the tree if not refrigerated. Unfortunately, some people who have tried Lychee for the first time get a bad one and think they do not like it. If the outer skin is still bright red and not too brownish, that is a sign that the Lychee is very fresh.

Dragonfruit may have an exotic appearance, but the inside reminded me of kiwi but without the flavor. Really boring.

Papayas smell and taste like vomit to me. But, have you ever had green (unripe) papaya salad at a Thai restaurant?

• djschmidt1991

1. papaya. At best it tastes fermented, at worst it tastes like the smell of fresh dog poo.

2. durien.

3. black zapote. There's got to be better things to eat than this.

1. fresh soursop/guanabana (for the texture). It's like eating fruit flavored cotton that kind of dissolves in your mouth. But I actually love Jumex Guanabana juice, it's one of my favorite tropical flavors.

I like guavas, just pop them into your mouth without trying to chew the seeds. The same goes with dragon fruit and prickly pear fruit (tunas), both have a mild pear flavor, and just swallow them with the seads. I like Cheremoyas, sort of a strawberry-tropical flavor. Mamaye zapote kind of tastes like sweetened squash. It's ok, I just didn't grow up eating it. Lots of folks down in southern Mexico tell me they like it.

• Liam Coldwell (Zone 9a)

WOAH, WOAH, WOAH! Passionfruit shoudn't be sour! The store tends to have it unripe, they really are sweet, anyway...

1.Coconut (I hate the milk, i love the meat)

2.Banana (sorry, i just don't like them)

3.Rambutan

4.Persimmon (I'm gonna grow a black sapote regardless, even if it is a persimmon, anyway they taste to much like apples...)

5.Apples (well kinda, just not my first choice...)

By the way, papaya isn't unbearable to me

• Liam Coldwell (Zone 9a)

Lets be more optimistic... Favorite Tropical fruits!

1. Passion Fruit

2.Vanilla Orchid (the beans are a fruit)

3. Avocado (guac... ARRRIBA!)

4. Barbados Cherry (only had juice)

5. Kiwi

• LatinLady

...and this, my friends, is why we've penned: "Para los gustos, se hicieron los sabores...y colores!"

BTW, ripe, fresh picked Papaya is delicious and nutritious. Noni smells like Don Goyo's dirty black polyester socks.

Peace!

• parker25mv

I do not really find Passion Fruit to be that palatable, but it's not so much because of the flavor (although the flavor is a little too intense for me). Passion Fruit is like the very essence of "tropical flavor". Even if you are not growing it for eating, Passion Fruit makes an attractive ornamental plant.

Despite its spectacular outer appearance, Rambutan has a taste that is a little "putrid" to me, and the flesh of the fruit has a waxier consistency than lychee.

Liam Coldwell, you should try "young coconut". The inner flesh is soft enough that you can scoop it out with a spoon. A note for anyone eating coconut: Do not eat more than half of the coconut in one sitting, coconut has a fairly high fat content so eating an entire coconut can make your stomach feel a little queasy. But it makes a wonderful dessert. And I love drinking the coconut water from a freshly cracked open coconut. If you don't like how the inside water tastes, maybe you haven't had a really fresh coconut.

A starfruit picked fresh off the tree tastes substantially different than all the ones I have tasted from supermarkets. True, it was kind of bland, a bit watery, sour, and very slightly astringent, but it also had a very compelling tropical-like flavor to it that made me keep eating.

Guavas are too astringent when they are less than ripe, but I don't like how the flavor develops when they become ripe, so guava is kind of a no-win scenario for me.

Plantains, sometimes when I have some I feel like snacking on them raw. This is just a personal thing I do, the vast majority of people are not going to find raw plantain the slightest bit palatable. It's kind of like biting into a raw potato, but just a little bit like a banana too. I can't eat too much, maybe just half a plantain, because it makes my mouth feel all astringently dry, but I feel it gives me energy and is easy on my stomach to digest.

I'm not a huge persimmon fan. All the Hachiya persimmons I have ever tasted I have found absolutely too astringent to be edible. I have had some Fuyu persimmons with good flavor, but this fruit feels a little pumpkin-like to me, I think maybe this fruit could be better baked in sweet breads or muffins.

• Levar

Purple Possum passion fruit is amazing. I eat them just out of hand with a spoon. Like every passionfruit I've ever had, these are definitely tart but PP have a good amount of sweetness that makes them perfect for eating raw. They should be slightly withered on the vine when you pick them, or perhaps more often, when they've dropped.

I've had awful, astringent, and bland Nisperos/Sapodillas from farmer's markets but there's a tree in my neighborhood that has lime-sized fruit that are really incredible. The flavor resembles shortbread cookies if those cookies were made totally out of pears and rum. Hard to explain but go with me on this.

Also, I forgot the name of my Starfruit but I'm almost 100% it's a Lara. It is not bland at all. It's sweet with a gentle tartness, but still very flavorful.

But anyway, my least favorites:

1. Papaya ( I do not get the appeal.)
    2.Dragonfruit (The biggest let down in the fruit world. It looks like it's going to have ALL the flavor in the universe and it just never does. What the hell is this supposed to taste like?)
    3. Tommy Atkins mango. (Why is this in circulation? Because it's prolific and grocery stores value quantity over quality?)
    4. Rambutans. (A friend said the Costa Rican Rambutans were lovely. When she had ones sold in Miami, we both agreed that the skin around the seed that invariably latched onto the fruit tasted like sweat, funk, and feet.)
    5. Surniam Cherry. (Yeah... However, if you make a jam out of this with just a little bit of sugar and water, its sourness is mellowed and it becomes kind of a simple "chutney." It's great with duck. )

• Michele Nicholas

I think a lot of the disgust comes from having encountered a bad variety of the fruit. Tommy Adkins is not highly rated. Some papaya taste heavenly. Papaya are mild, but some are just bland where others, especially the red ones, are like a very sweet melon. (Just think of the difference among apples--mouth-puckering crab apples to cooking varieties, to sweet ones, to delicious. It's a good idea to try fruits at farmers' markets and flea markets. They are more likely to have been picked ripe. When I was a girl in Canada I thought oranges were horrible, sour fruits. Then I came to Florida and found that ripe ones tasted as sweet as candy.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b

I don't like guava because of the seeds and the pungent flavor. That's the one yellow outside, pink in. We grew it and tossed it. Yuk! Breadfruit is to be baked like a potato and it tastes better than a potato. It's a starch. I wish we could grow it here, but not tropical enough. I have ordered Papaya from Hawaii seeds. They will ripen on the tree here and I'm betting they will be delicious!

• tropicbreezent

I like breadfruit too but, as you say, it needs to be baked (or fried). My tree's still a bit small but hopefully I'll have some fruit before long.

• subtropix

I have never had Jackfruit raw. We like to stir fry it with some garlic and pepper..., delicious!

As for the guava, mostly what I see being sold as guava in the North is just awful, but one day, I was an Hispanic market and passed very large, ripe, white guava. It smelled delicious even wrapped in plastic and exquisite in taste, so I will give them another chance.

Let's consider another tropical fruit for some perspective as we contribute to this list of fruits we despise..., the TOMATO. Store bought ones out of season are usually hideous; a sun-ripened, warm one just off the vine is exquisite!

• tropicbreezent

Jakfruit is one of those that people tend to like, or like to hate. There are lots of varieties with differing tastes but that's also a matter of personal preference. I have one that produces well but have trouble giving a lot of the fruit away, some people can't thank me enough. I find it quite good, I even freeze a lot for the off season. A single household certainly doesn't need many but the tree likes to be productive.

• Francesco Delvillani

When you must judge tropical fruit you might consider more things.

Some are delocious when grown in Tropical climate, when grown in sub-tropical or even worse in Mediterranean climate they could not ripe properly and have a bad taste.

Also those grown in tropical and then harvest unripen, shipped by boat and arrived to the market 3 weeks later, could be not good...

For instance,Rambutan if correctly ripen is fantastic, when starts to rot, it taste as fish.

• tropicbreezent

Same with Mangosteen (Purple), when they start to go off they really go off.

• Dylan Joaquin(NorCal)

Mine would have to be:

Papaya (not dried)

Durian (can't stand the smell)

Loquats (weird aftertaste)

Pears (not tropical)

Melons (not tropical)