Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toadlilly

animal rollcall...

toadlilly
16 years ago

Our former Foster Parent Caseworker told us fosterparents, that we seem to all love kids, animals and plants. Our form listing pets info had to be made larger.

So it got me thinking...

Who loves you? And who do you love?

In my home:

People animals:

1 hubby, 3 sons (2 returned:), 1 me

then the important ones by age:

Uno-12+ fluffy, beautiful manx, keeper of the food bowl, want an food supply update? She's the girl to ask

Mellow-ooooollllldddd basset, daddy's pet, great additude

Sadie-weiner/lab, looks like a basset mix, son's evil dog

Fiona-ferral, long haired, really loud, pretty pastel calico

Reba-lovey red basset, daddy's darling (Mell's replacement)

fun girl, still alot of puppy in her at 1.5yrs

Girl-goes by WaWa, 1.5yr old chihuahua, went to live with friends for a while (never have I missed a dog so much), came back with puppies (cute collie colored babies), love of my life, dobie colored rescued last Thanksgiving

Siesta-goes by SiSi,little,long haired 8mo, dobie colored chihuahua, bought to replace WaWa, and now WaWa's side kick (VERY tolerant of 3 & 2 yr old girls I babysit).

Fluffy-son's upstairs, never seen, never heard, (never smelly) hedgehog.

Lots of love going on here! CJ

Comments (6)

• marilyn_c
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

One husband, one daughter...grown, but see her often.

Many 4 legged friends. All of my animals, except a few born here, were rescues. I never go out with the intention of getting an animal. I take whatever shows up or come from the shelter.

4 horses...Lonesome (grey), Gypsy (grey), TueLo (sorrel), and Missy (chestnut)(aka Mama). Lonesome and TueLo were rescues. Mama and Gypsy were born here.

1 pot bellied pig...Pignacious. Adopted from the shelter. He was found dumped out under the San Luis Pass Bridge, which separates Galveston from the mainland.

Two dogs...Wendy, long haired chihuahua...found out in the middle of nowhere a day prior to Hurricane Rita. She appeared to be a dog from a puppy mill...had a breeder tattoo and old, poor condition. I think they dumped her out when fleeing the storm.

Bobby, my other dog, is a beagle cross. I found him dumped out in the middle of a 6 lane highway when he was a pup. Skinny and full of fleas. One of the best dogs I have ever had.

Not sure how many cats...someone once told me if you have more than three you are mentally ill. Well, yes, I am, but I don't bother anyone...and I do live on 50 acres in the middle of the boondocks.

Bindi...from the shelter, raised her on a bottle. Dilute calico.

Flicker Girl and Flicker Boy...look identical, except Flicker Boy has a grey toe in his white socks...they're blue grey with white feet and chest.

Elmo...blue and white brother to above.

Uno and Dude...black and white brothers...black, white paws, chest, strip on face...Dude has a mustache.

Quarter Pounder...black and white
    Tommy...blue and white
    Black sister...as yet, not named
    Blue and white brother, not named.
    These were a rescue a few months ago.

JoJo and Wildchild and Mary. Jo Jo is white with black tail and Mary is black and white, and Wildchild is black. Rescues from last year.

Black and white unnamed.

Cat Daddy...blue longhaired tomcat dumped out here.

Norman, Norman's 2 brothers and sister named Beauty.

Most recently...two rescues...Peaches and Peanut...beige kittens.

I rehab wildlife...mainly possums and sometimes armadillos.
    No armadillos now, but I have quite a few possums. Not all are named but I have Fatty, Scar Foot, Cooter, Yogurt King,
    Lil' Brudder, Sis, and Celeste.

Cooter, Yogurt King and Fatty are non releasable, as are a couple of others that I haven't named yet.

Cooter is a favorite. She was caught in a leg hold trap and is permanently crippled. While left in the trap, fire ants attacked, and blinded her. People are so cruel, and I may be crazy, but I like animals so much better than I like most people.

Some that I have released but still come by for supper...Savage...named after Michael Savage, the radio guy, Baby, Erica (hit by a car and was here for a few months, and raised 9 babies but released and doing fine now. I have several others that will eventually be released. I always have from 30 to 90 possums here...injured and orphaned. (Hmmmm...must be true about people with more than 3 cats being mentally ill.) :))

I also have goldfish...and had koi until recently. I had koi for 40 years but found a good home for them in a sandpit. The man who owns the sandpit loves koi and I thought it would be an excellent home for them.

I don't consider them pets...but I have named several of the large snakes that live in my yard (on Chocolate Bayou). I have Big Mama, Nessie, Fancy Pants, Mr. Twister, and Ten Dogs. The last two are cottonmouths. Big Mama and Nessie are yellow bellied water snakes and Fancy Pants is a garter snake.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I have 2 kiddos and 1 DH. I have been in a situation from birth that included a LOT of animals. I have quite a few animals myself. All of a sudden I don't want animals anymore. I will keep all of my animals except a couple hens. If my hens don't blend into the new home ( in a coop with other hens)well I will take them back. I will want 2 trained dogs(protection) and a cat for my DH's sake. Other than that, when my 2 birds,chinchilla,3 lizards,and my elderly dog(I have 2 other younger dogs) passes on that's it. No more animals. It's so difficult to travel or to be sick with so many animals and I need a break! Bless all of you who take in rescues. I rescued 2 small kittens from behind a wall at my DH's work. I fed and cared for them until 4 paws showed up 2 days later to take them. The kittens were just gorgeous. I had no desire to keep them and was relieved when they left. I think I may have taken care of so many animals I'm burnt out now. PJ

• marilyn_c
    16 years ago

I can relate to that, PJ. I never wanted to start rehabbing.
    It is hard enough to leave home when you have a couple of dogs and a few horses and cats to take care of, but when you have as many creatures as I have and live so far off the beaten path as I do, it is impossible. I don't know anyone I could expect to come here and take care of everything I have...not even another rehabber. Fortunately, I don't really want to go anywhere any more. Now...if I just won't get sick or die.....

• denisew
    16 years ago

People animals (literally because I'm always picking up after them) - 1 husband and three boys, ages 9, 11 and 13.
    Two dogs - one yellow lab who is a real sweetheart. His name is Charlie and we got him from the SPCA almost three years ago. Charlie is the smart dog.
    The other dog is a bassett hound, female named Katie who is about 8 years old. She was also a rescue from the SPCA. As Shrek says, "she ain't the sharpest tool in the shed." She looks like a pot belly pig (according to my husband) and her main focus in life is food.
    1 cat - Pippen is a little black male kitten who came to us back at the end of May a couple weeks after my 21 year old Siamese cat died. I didn't think I was ready for another kitty, but he found a place in my heart and is an absolute riot. He loves to play and will get into things such as cupboards and drawers quicker than any toddler. We really have to watch after him just like another kid.
    We also have a fish tank full of fish inside the house and a pond with a bunch of comet goldfish who know why I come out to see them - they want to be fed.

• beachplant
    16 years ago

Husband
    Down to 3 dogs, all rescues
    One ferret, she just showed up one day
    3 Cockatiels
    Fish
    Wow, for me that's pretty good. I usually have a lot of critters around, usually all rescues.
    When I retire I'm planning on doing bird rehab. Too hard with the hours I work. Right now I just pick them up & drive them to Texas City. In the spring I take a LOT of pelicans over the bridge. For some reason everyone takes them to the ferry landing, hubby calls me & I drive to Trudy's. I've chased a white duck through the surf in February with the water temp in the 40's, chased injured pelicans across the Seawall and climbed trees to get a wounded bird down.
    Marilyn I think it's great you named the snakes! So many people freak out & want to kill them. I love snakes, they are so coool! And they eat rats, anything that eats rats I like. I have possums at my house, there are a suprising number in the city. We also have coyotes, saw 2 this week cruising in front of the house.
    Tally HO!

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

It's only me and hubby with two dogs at home now, with one angel fish left in the tank poor thing. I can't clean the tank anymore and DH doesn't keep up with it so when it's gone no more fish.
    Lacy we call baby girl is a rescue from grapevine shelter.
    Bo was my uncles dog that I could not see going anywhere but home with me at the time of my uncles death and DH and I fell head over heels for him once we got to know him more. This dog does not know he's a dog. He has many human like traits LOL. When he's wanting something he'll make a noise that sound much like Chewbacca, it is so funny to hear.
    DH and I have three kid's from first marriage, I have a son 33 and a daughter 31 and two grandkids, girl 13 boy 9
    DH has one son
    DD is forever bring home animals cat's, dog's you name it. Grandson had some frogs that I loved hearing at night, they were really cool. One day when they'd gone out for the day and came back they'd gotten out of the tank and never to be found.
    If it wasn't so much work I'd love to have a bird and some of them frogs :) but I'll stay with my dog's and I don't even want to think of them getting old and leaving me :( it will be a very painful loss.
    I had horses and ponies when I was young and if I was able bodied I'd have them again, I sure miss not having them.
    Also I love cat's, had always had a cat till my allergies went haywire and I could no longer live with them, and NO I don't want a hairless cat OMG those are ugly LOL. It's hard on me not having a cat, when I see one I want one so bad but know what happens so I stay clear of them.