Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

Do you think we'll have another frost?

gottagarden
16 years ago

Weather is so nice I'm tempted to plant some things I shouldn't.

Wanna make a bet?

More frost? or frost free from now on?

Comments (15)

• penny1947
    16 years ago

I sure hope we are out of the woods. I planted out some Salvia greggiis and moved some baby agastaches yesterday. I also planted a new coral honeysuckle the other day. If I have to I will run out and cloche everything that was just planted but at least for the next week I think we are safe and the closer we get to the 15th. the safer we are. Although this has been a very unpredictable year. My helleborus started to bloom in early feb and then got blasted by a freeze so no flowers this year and my tulips got zapped too.

Penny

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

According to weather.com, here in Saratoga Springs there's a frost warning for tonight (Saturday and early Sunday).

Carol

• waplummer
    16 years ago

We have three weeks orso before we can be 99% sure of being frost free.

• dirthappy
    16 years ago

The last 2 years I got antsy about planting early and paid the price. One year I lost everything, the other we ran around gathering sheets to cover things. This year, I'll wait until Memorial Day. I took some vacation days to do the planting.

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

I just planted a ton of stuff, and lo and behold we had a frost. However, the ground didn't get terribly cold and the only frost I can see is on the roofs. *fingers crossed*

• laurelin
    16 years ago

I think we probably will, at least in the hills around me. I'm holding off on some tender stuff, since my normal impulse is to plant too early, and every year I get burned - er, frosted. So this year, at my house at least, I'm probably guaranteeing no more frost by holding off. . . .

Laurel

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

We had a frost two nights ago, but I didn't notice any damage. I don't usually plant any annuals until Memorial Day weekend (been planting hardened off perennials though). But I have a feeling we aren't going to have any more frosts this month...don't know why, but I just got that feelin'.

• chrisltropical
    16 years ago

Hope not, arleady planted lots of plants.

• penny1947
    16 years ago

I planted a few more salvias out on Wed. May 9th. They had just gotten way too big and needed planting. I may have to run out and cover a few of them up but they seem to be much happier right now.

Penny

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It sure doesn't SEEM like we'll get any more frosts. Seems like summer already. Would love to get a head start on my dahlias and cannas. I'll wait another week or so to be safe, but . . . . it's tempting!

• penny1947
    16 years ago

GG
    We had frost on the ground this morning...just a light one. I moved some of the seedlings back onto the porch so I hope they are ok and I postioned things around a new salvia that I had planted the other day that was just starting to flower yesterday. I think we are going to have a frost advisory for tonight (Sunday night) also so i will try to keep things sheltered a bit today. Then MAYBE after tonight we will be in the clear. This cold weather is getting very very old.

Penny

• dirthappy
    16 years ago

We had frost last night. I put the hanging pots out yesterday. Butterfly basket and Brown Eyed Susans but brought them in after dinner.
    Happy Mothers Day

• Jerry Ciesielski
    16 years ago

I think we are done. I am planting and will use covers if frost is predicted. (Suburban Buffalo)

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, we had frost this morning. I went out early and there was frost on the grass and a light, crunchy rime on all the leaves. I'm sure bulbs and perennials would be okay, but I'm glad my baby seedlings weren't outside.

I'm busy playing musical chairs with my perennials.

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Well in spite of the frost which was ight my newly planted salvias did fine and one even bloomed today. The two abutilons which are very cold sensitive did fine too. I had them up against the bushes and I think that provided enough protection. The rest of the seedlings seem to be fine too. I moved everything in a little early this evening just in case it goes back down as predicted tonight.

Penny