Software
Houzz Logo Print
oliveanne

How to decorate a small living room

13 years ago
We just bought a cape and are eager to fill our living room so we can have company over. However, the room is long and narrow which is making our furniture selection process difficult. We plan to put the TV above the fireplace and want the room to be casual, easy to maintain but elegant at the same time. Any ideas? We do not want to block any radiators, and the front door is by foot of stairs so we need to maintain a good flow.

Comments (14)

  • 13 years ago
    Do you have any furniture that you're starting with, or do you have to acquire everything?
  • 13 years ago
    If you are interested in elegant, then I would find a Drexel store; but look at their website 1st. Quality sofas in many different styles and upholstery selections. They list stores that carry them on their website. If you do not like what they have (exactly on the floor), you can custom order (which is what I have frequently done over the years. It is very comfortable and durable furniture and is made in NC. I would go with a neutral color and then get pops of color from accessories such as art or vases. You could make paper duplicates of the size of a couch etc and place them on the floor if you don't have software to do so (to aid in placement and make sure you get an appropriate size)

    For art, I would go to Etsy.com and use their search engine. You can input what you are interested in and many selections will come up. They have artisans and craftsman from the US and all over the world with each having a shop and you can contact them. They frequently can customize what you need. I have a photography shop, nancyhehmann.High def photography is very uplifting b/c it is almost as good as being there. Etsy also have decorator pillows and other items.
    If you want art from a famous artist, look on Park and West Gallery website, they are reputable and will give you a certificate of authenticity. Sometime famous artist's artwork goes up in value or holds value.

    Once you find art or photography you love, pull a color from it for your accessories. You want to repeat a color more than once to give yourself a cohesive look.

    Have fun.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Thanks for the advice! Another question- I like the Drexel furniture but I'm really leaning towards Pottery Barn style couches- particularly the Buchanan style -something you can lounge on that isnt too relaxed. I'm a little nervous about the materials though- since this will be the main room of the house- what materials are the easiest to clean?

    Additionally, what would you suggest for a layout? The people who last owned the house had a sectional, but I think that closes off the room a bit too much. We really just want to maximize seating space while making it flow well. I have attached a mock up we pulled together- since its such a narrow room I feel that we have to be very careful about what we place along the sides. Do you think 1 couch + 2 chairs, or 1 couch, 1 loveseat and another chair? (I have tried repeatedly to add the image to htis thread and it is not working on this computer :( - will try later at home!)

    I love the idea for neutral furniture- what colors are best for hiding stains though? Again, materials? The couch I like is cheapest in Twill- is that usually an easy clean?

    Love your photography- I favorited your store on Etsy!
  • 13 years ago
    Also- we do have a coffee table (pictured) that we'd like to use if we can, but we are more or less buying the furniture for this room. I'd like to keep the budget as low as possible, but still get lasting pieces that we'll be able to use for the next 5-10 years.
  • 13 years ago
    Beautiful! The two sofa layout can work here, if it's kept casual.. (sofas facing each other, coffee table in the middle two chairs at the stair end, a bench or nothing at the fireplace end) Or a sofa and a large chaise facing it. Then bookshelves or some kind of console on the left wall I prefer bookshelves. I would do bookshelves in white and keep a light and airy palette. The wall color is nice. Below are some selections that I think will look nice.

    On the second thought i think that TV is better at the long wall in the built ins (can be inexpensive IKEA Billy Bookcase arrangement) than above Fireplace, and a Mirror or a Painting above Fireplace.

    [houzz=
    Allegra Hicks Printed Harlequin Jute Rug · More Info
    ]

    [houzz=
    BILLY Bookcase combination with TV bench · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Loring Sofas · More Info
    ]

    [houzz=
    Restoration Warehouse Chatsworth Coffee Table · More Info
    ]
  • 13 years ago
    Off white Linen or Taupe Linen will Work great with the Black Coffee Table, look at Crate and Barrel as well for sofas.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks! That looks great- so question- why would TV look better on the wall? We thought to maximize seating space it would make more sense above the fireplace. The people who lived here last had it on wall- and its easier to put it there for us, but I am just wondering if there is some design-related reason why it would be better on the larger wall than above the fireplace.

    Thanks!
  • 13 years ago
    If you have kids or entertain with food in this area leather is most durable and cleanable. Avoid microsuede like the plague - not usually a quality fabric. Pay additional to have any fabric other than leather treated with Scotchguard for an extra measure of protection. For your small room I'd suggest one three seat sofa and two club or upholstered armchairs facing each other in front of the FP with a round glass topped coffee table between and a large area rug spanning the space so that the chairs are completely on it and the front feet of the sofa are too. Would put the sofa in front of the windows, chairs opposite. I think that will present a nice vignette from the entry. A lamp and side table between the chairs and nice art behind them plus a great piece over the mantel, and you'll have the basics in place. Then just add accessories and bling, which might include a new ceiling fixture (don't see it in the pics,) toss pillows, throw, etc. WIth the rads, I'd suggest soft roman blinds for the windows. Lovely little room with great potential.
  • 13 years ago
    Can you take a photo of what's directly across from the fireplace? I'm thinking there may be space there for the TV. I'm inclined to agree with AggieDesigns about the TV above the fireplace.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    What are your thoughts on a canvas print placed on the mantel and resting on an angle against the wall?
  • 13 years ago
    Interesting that 5-10 years is considered long-lasting for furniture...
  • 13 years ago
    You mentioned Pottery Barn. They have decorators that will visit your house and plan several lay outs for your approval, at no charge. They will also be happy to incorporate any furniture or items that you have it make it "your space". A friend just had a bedroom turned into a grandkids room and it is darling. Kids and grandkid all love it!
    No, I don't work w/PB, but have had nothing but good things to say about their service. My husband ordered a bean bag chair for our new grandson and misspelled his name! When it arrived he realized his mistake and called to order a replacement. He told them his error, and they graciously replaced the cover. His fault, but no charge. That's service!
  • 13 years ago
    Here's your problem - it looks as though you have steam heat, which is never appropriate for a Cape. Steam heat is for larger buidiings. If you can, have ductwork put in for hot air heat and cental air. if this is impossible, go for hot water heat - maybe with solar. With hot water heat you will have only one small radiator in the living room. Then I can assure you all you problems will be solved and everything willl fall in place.