Software
Houzz Logo Print
smorton111

Fireplace mantel holiday decor

13 years ago
I'm not really happy with this. What's wrong here?

Comments (44)

  • 13 years ago
    Replace the glass vase with something more "woodsy" or fill it up with fall colored raffia, acorns, mini pumpkins.
  • 13 years ago
    Maybe add some "real" elements. I use small pumpkins and gourds in groupings on my mantel with mercury glass hurricanes at each end of mantel with candles for nighttime ambiance. From this photo, the art work appears to be small, but it is hard to tell without another photo of the entire fireplace.
  • 13 years ago
    I have to agree with Marie - larger items on the mantel would looked more balanced :)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    is your painting there all the time? If so, invest in some candle sconces that reflect the French country feel, a candle color of your choice. Take everything off the mantel and just replace the leaves all across the mantel and put the oranges here and there in the leaves.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you so much for all of your ideas. I was thinking about some of the same things you said, like the crystal vase was wrong, picture too small and wrong theme, etc. Decorating is hard for me, so thank you. I am attaching a full view of the fireplace.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you so much for all of your ideas. I was thinking about some of the same things you said, like the crystal vase was wrong, picture too small and wrong theme, etc. Decorating is hard for me, so thank you. I am attaching a full view of the fireplace.
  • 13 years ago
    Better full view picture.
  • 13 years ago
    Try using odd numbers when grouping. The 2 finials on the left, needs a 3rd object. Then, as mentioned above, a more substantial vase. Do you have a wider painting or mirror that you could try instead of the painting you have?
  • 13 years ago
    Looking again, there's also too many mismatched finishes. The gold frame on the painting, the silver tray with the oranges, the antique bronze of the finials and the shine of the cut glass. Try matching the metallics and use neutrals on others, like a wooden tray for the oranges or something in a brown wicker.
  • 13 years ago
    I'd like to see some height on the left of the photo. Remove the two small votives and add a third object next to the finials that's a little taller. Are those tomatoes or mini pumpkins?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Both simple mantle decor and busy mantle decor can work. Here's a busy grouping which might help you regarding proportion and scale (ex: width of art vs width of fireplace).
  • 13 years ago
    I love the colors you chose for the decorations on the mantel, but agree the scale is off. Hmmm. If you moved the painting, what would you put there instead? A seasonal wreath or picture? As I said, the colors look great and it is a harvest scene which works for this time of year. Maybe take the painting and set it right on the mantel to one side, leaning against the wall. Take those two little votives right off, set the vase in the middle maybe with some colorful leaves draped around it. You can get faux leaves garlands at Michael's or JoAnne. The tray with the fruit I would jumble up a little and set it to the other side, maybe with those dark blue objects behind it, or leave them off.
  • 13 years ago
    Don't put yourself down--I think it is rather nice, just underscaled for the space. I agree, I like the colors. And I see nothing wrong with combining a bright landscape with some fall leaves.
  • 13 years ago
    Blues and oranges are naturals together. Maybe find some rose hips, or more sculptural twiggy foliage and put those in a big, rustic cobalt blue pot
  • 13 years ago
    Again, great ideas. I'll work with it and see what I can come up with. @ michigammemom, those are mini-pumpkins.
  • 13 years ago
    And here I called them oranges. Blame my bifocals. *L*
  • 13 years ago
    They do look like oranges in the picture.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Heres something Ive done when a pic scale is a little too small and you are attached to the picture, rather that going for more drama, which is a better solution most times.. Here I extend moulding and faux finish in something that works with the pic and colour in the room. Often white moulding works. Good luck.
  • 13 years ago
    That's beautiful! I like the extended moulding and the larger pumpkins look so much better! May I have your magic wand?
  • 13 years ago
    It needs TEXTURE. Do you have a Michael's craft store near you? If so, they have rolls of grapevine that you could twist and lay on your mantle with the other items. I've used it on tables, mantles, and even wrapped it around my chandelier (year round). You need some warmth to your slick mantel! Add texture!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Even one larger candle (light it for next photo) and move the picture up a bit to balance it out - some any really nice colored vase and wood vases or unusual vases for peanuts - you will know when you spot it!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    We read a room (or in this case a mantel) like we read a book - left to right. Height on the left side - the little items there right now are too small. You want a gentle "up and down" of lifts and levels to create visual interest. The glass vase is not a good choice for the fall which is a season of texture. So I agree with others who say to change it out for something more solid and textual. (Bring back the glass for Christmas if you want sparkle!)

    The print is really too small for the space and right now it looks like it's sitting on top of the platter of mini pumpkins. It's it's all you have, it would be better to have it sitting on the mantel and resting against the wall. I'd love to see you add a couple of wall sconces on either side of that print which would help elongate the vignette and make it a more proper scale.

    It's better to layer items than to have them sitting like they are in a duck shooting gallery. Cluster or group three items together. Right now the arrangement is visually unbalanced and I think that might be why it doesn't seem right to your eye.

    I'd love to see some fall garland along the mantel to add depth, texture and interest. Chunky barley twist candle holders with pillar candles in warm fall colors like the butterscotch in the print would be a nice addition as well. Some wide burlap ribbon would be lovely. Remember to LAYER. When you hang a picture on the wall and have things below it on the mantel, it can look bad (kind of like an elephant in high heels). It's okay for things to touch and overlap. They need to be connected so as to look like one entire grouping.

    Follow all the great advice you've gotten and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful fall mantel.
  • 13 years ago
    Remove the finials and votives and center the whole composition over the mantel.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Biggest issue is scale,. The print has beautiful colors, and you have coordinated the colors on the mantel very well with it, but it is too small. I would put a large rectangular mirror over the mantel and lean the picture against it, to one side. The mirror should be sufficiently tall that it forms the apex of a triangle with the two side cabinets in the second photo of your room, I'd say at least 6 to 9 inches above the height of those storage areas. To help you visualize, get a piece of paper or multiple pieces of paper or cardboard, etc., and cut it to size that you want. Then tape it to the wall where you would hang the mirror. Stand back and squint; adjust until you get it the size you want. Then you can go shopping for the mirror.
    I would look for a large finial, larger than the other two, and put it together with the two existing finials.
    When you redo your grouping, remove everything, put back one grouping at a time. If you put in an item and it makes you less satisfied with the total look, take it back out and leave it out.
  • 13 years ago
    Remove everything and start over. There is too much going on that doesn't go together. You could add some type of greenery ( pine or eculyptus or something else that you like) to the mantle, from end to end first. Then add a grouping of candles (your color choice). Maybe a nice vase that's tall to one end.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Everything looks unbalanced because the flower arrangement is way bigger and taller than the other stuff.

    You need a longer copper or wood tray. Put in the tray some trailing vines that trail over the side of the tray to make it look more organic. along with some substantial pumpkins and pinecones. A more rustic vase or a trio of goards of different sizes, wheat sheaths or rustic candles or candleholders on with side would be better. You can keep the finials if you put one on either side and group them with two larger items such as the ones previously mentioned.The eye is drawn to items of different sizes grouped in odd numbers. I would prop a large mirror with a simple wood or copper frame behind it.
  • 13 years ago
    You have different metals against each other. The tray should match the picture frame or a wood tray would work. But a silver tray and a gold frame clash. The painting is also too small for the fireplace. I like someones idea to surround it with molding, that would give you the visual of larger art without having to find a larger piece.
  • 13 years ago
    I don't think your mantel decor is wrong. I actually like it very much. Love the colors. Do you have a large mirror or another larger piece of similar art that you could hang then put your smaller framed art in front and to the left of center by layering so to speak? Add something taller where the finials are. I like the eclectic mix with the crystal vase. Perhaps add some rustic round straw like balls inside the vase.
  • 13 years ago
    I am going to assume the painting is special so start by removing the other objects. Replace with
    something more substantial on each side but with less height than the vase. The vase height was overpowering the beautiful painting & the finials were too small. You can choose a balanced look by selecting the same piece for each side.
    Or perhaps move the painting towards the left & find two smaller paintings to stack one above the other & hang to the right of it. Now you have a group of three creating a larger presence. If you can't find paintings that are small enough do a more substantial dried arrangement incorporating the pumpkins & two candle sticks. Just keep trying options until the balance feels right. It will look great.
  • 13 years ago
    Scale and subsequently overlap. Have your items overlap to tie them together. A larger paintng or mirror would fix this.
  • 13 years ago
    A larger painting or the moulding additions will help. Also, hang the art a bit higher to work with the weight of the large fireplace (also why the art, etc. should be larger). Those who mentioned the wide variety of finishes are on the right track. Also placing odd numbers of objects together. And, moving objects out toward ends of the mantel suggests a fullness. Add greenery or vines, something to suggest nature. Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    And, remember that some things are "givens" in some situations. I need to use and reuse the hanger that we placed for various art, or this tray and the placement of the sconces. My husband doesn't plan to be moving the picture/tray/wreath hanger watch season, we just picked a place for it! It works out fine.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I agree that the art is too small for the scale of the fireplace. Rather than replace the art, bring it to AC Moore or Michaels and have them re-frame it in a larger frame adding matting. This would make the art really stand out! They will help you choose the colors for the matting and the frame according to your budget. You will be surprised how different it will look and what a focal point it will become! I also think the art may be too low, too close to the mantel. I love the "dish" of pumpkins and leaves, but you need some larger pumpkins too and taller fuller accessories around it.
  • 13 years ago
    Right on Homestyle! Agree art isn't wrong but needs larger surround. Could be a little pricey but not if you look at their mistake frames. They built for someone else and maybe they built it to large or too small. I think you need organic against the white, something in wood. Best advice is to relax about it because you have made a great effort and start. The best thing about a shelf is it's permanent but what we put on it isn't. I love that! Enjoy.
  • 13 years ago
    We don't know what medium the art work is. If it is acrylic or oil then you do not use a mat when framing.
  • 13 years ago
    I like your work and think you are an excellent decorator.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Smorton111, I think it needs a slightly warmer feel. You could remove the items from the vase and lay them down on the mantel. Add the sprigs and persimmons and fit in the little knick knacks and the candles. It seems as if you have enough to do about a 24" display in the center, so it you want to expand it the length of the mantel, pull some leaves and twigs from outside, add corn, gords, small pumkins, nuts, and pinecones. You can also add more candles, tapered candles, flowers, and ribbon. Happy Thanksgiving!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You have wonderful elements working and are almost there! Simply hang a larger heavy framed mirror over fireplace, prop painting in ftont of mirror, switch crystal vase for larger warm bronze vase, add a chunky dark stained candle pillar to grouping on left with autumn scented candle.... Instant warm & cozy...enjoy!
  • 13 years ago
    Lots and lots of good suggestions. Tried to read through all, but forgive me if I'm repeating....

    Besides scale, the picture frame [IMO] is just not popping, and instead almost fighting with the wall color....and the cool gray tone of the stone. I wonder what a very substantial matte black frame would look like in place of the gold? Not a contemporary frame, more traditional/gallery style. They can be as thick as 6" wide. Pricey, I know. But you could hit two birds with one stone (making it larger AND darker). I also think it would only make your picture pop more as well, and black is a timeless color that you can easily accesorize further with. You could add a taller "black" third element behind the finials, and go with a solid vase (as opposed to crystal).
    Just my two cents.
  • 13 years ago
    I just want to say thank you to everyone, we all want a nice home but I for one don't know how to do it. I love reading all this! Thank you to all of you!
  • 13 years ago
    If you are new at decorating/accessorizing, I will keep it simple for you and use the items you have there. Move the vase to the left. Let the items in the vase overlap into the painting slightly. Spray paint one finial in a gold tone and the other silver. That will help tie your frame and tray together. Put the finials in front of the vase so you have 3 items on the left. Move the tray with the pumpkins slightly to the right off center. Remove some pumpkins so there are 3 and tip the stems differently from one another to relax the vignette. Don't use the little votives as stand alone, but you could mix them into the items on the tray if you want to use them. Another simple item you could add... Buy bulk hazelnuts and fill the vase with them. Then sprinkle a few about on the mantel. Good luck.
  • 13 years ago
    I have read every single one of these posts. Everyone has such great ideas. I have learned so much. So, thank you, and I will post a new picture when I add your ideas. It may be a Christmas theme, however.
  • 13 years ago
    Or try offsetting the picture over the mantle with a large item for balance on the "open" side. It's not always necessary to center objects, and asymmetry sometimes works better than symmetry. Balance is still important.