Software
Houzz Logo Print
trisha_hill

Mirrored wall

13 years ago
I have a wall in my living room that is one big mirror. It limits me on how I can decorate and rearrange my furniture. What else can I do?

Comments (22)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi T, will you please send more room photos? Plus, what is your design style? If you're not sure, just list some of your favorite things, places, activities and the region in which you live. Thanks!
  • 13 years ago
    I will add some more photos tomorrow. The room also has a brick fire place and white shutters on the windows. The area itself is 20x20. I have brown microfiber couches that I can't change at this time.
  • 13 years ago
    The open shelving is a good idea. 3M Command Hooks allow you to hang lightweight art on mirrors without drilling or damage, you could try those.
  • 13 years ago
    How about putting a curtain rod above it and putting up floor to ceiling sheer curtains. It will look more like a window than mirrors.
  • 13 years ago
    Agree with the open shelves idea. If there is still too much mirror around the outside, then perhaps an inexpensive window film from a DIY shop could do the trick.
  • 13 years ago
    Here are some other angles in the room
  • 13 years ago
    I have posted a questions regarding decals on glass/mirror but no answer there yet. My thought was to use one of the forrest/tree decals to add interest to your mirrored wall. Does anyone have any experience using these things on glass and mirror. Thought the white birch tree one would be nice.
  • 13 years ago
    I have used decals to frost bathroom windows. I am sure you could use decals on mirrors. With a design element, you will have the borders 'refract' a bit. You will see the reflection of the borders in the mirror. Not a deal breaker, but it will change the look a bit. For me, mirrors don't lend themselves to a natural look like trees. Perhaps a graphic design will work?
    The brick of the fireplace has a lot of pattern going on, there is a fair amount of stuff on flat surfaces. I wonder if creating a streamlined presence in the room will lead you to other thoughts about the mirrors.
  • 13 years ago
    I don't think you have room to add more furniture. In fact you should reduce the amount and the clutter.
    Put your long sofa under the window. "L" the short one with it, facing the TV. Put your tall plant in the corner formed by the sofa "L." That will block a bit of view and make it feel like there is more of an entry. Put the lounger on an angle in front of the mirrored wall. I would mount a mantel on top of the FP. Match it to your trim and insulate it for TV protection. Lower the TV to about 5" above it. Get a paintable chase to hide the cords and run them to the right instead of left. Put the nightstand/table with doors under the right window and use it for all the TV gear. Use your curtain rod, raised to the trim, to hang two stationery drapery panels at each side of the window. Get some color and pattern in the drapes and then add that color to new pillows, throws and maybe an area rug - yes, you can put it over carpet and your room needs some color. Hopefully, we'll hear about the decals soon - i think they'd look great on your mirrored wall!
  • 13 years ago
    I have had the furniture in an L shape before, it tends to feel blocked off. My front door is in that same room. We have had a sectional sofa in there before and didn't like how there was only one way in- one way out.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    You could place a console against the mirrored wall and hang a large painting or a grouping of pictures above the console directly on the mirror.
  • 13 years ago
    have you considered removing the mirror. I brought a house with a custom mirrored wall around the fireplace. I lived with it for years, when I couldn't take it anymore I covered it with duck tape to control the shatter, then I took a hammer to it.... now I have just another wall it looks great and I am so glad I did it.
  • 13 years ago
    @rivers300 what was the condition of the wall underneath? Did it just need a re-texture and paint?
  • 13 years ago
    To make it seem less "blocked in" just separate the "L" and let the smaller sofa float where the lounger is now, putting the plant near the back of the lounger in front of the mirror and away from the door.
  • 13 years ago
    I just read a couple tips on removing a mirror from a wall. Apparently they are adhered with either a liquid nails or mirror mastic. One way is to use a heat gun to melt the glue and using a putty knife between the wall and mirror slowly lift mirror away from wall. Another suggestion was to take guitar wire and affix to either end of a wood dowel a little wider than your mirror and work the wire behind the mirror back and forth in a sawing motion and saw through the glue. If you decide to try it, have someone help you, and wear gloves and eye goggles.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi, The wall had wallpaper on it, which came off easy enough, then it was just slight patching and painting of the sheetrock.
  • 13 years ago
    Trisha, if you remove the mirror you should consider making the fireplace wall an accent wall with a different color paint. It would be great with the slant ceiling. PS: when I removed the mirror one section didn't even break-up, we still use it as a leaning mirror in the closet, it was super thick. Also like Bonnie said wear eye gear and gloves.
  • 13 years ago
    Did you know you can paint right over a mirror or wallpaper over it. It really works!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi T, I was so pleased to see your additional photos! I have a couple ideas but before I draw anything up, do you like mod styling with brown, blue, yellow and green or do you prefer another style and color palette? Just to get you thinking, when I say styling, I could mean mod, rustic, industrial, garden, traditional, ethnic, etc. :-) D
  • 13 years ago
    The TV is just too high. You probably have to lay down or recline to watch it. I would remove all the small tables and small dresser. Float the small sofa where the recliner is now & get a sofa table to put behind it. Put the recliner near the windows. You really need something to store TV associated items in. You could angle a TV stand in the corner by the large window.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi again, I just saw your photos on a larger screen than my cell and I wonder if ”Young Country Americana ” might be a good style description for you?