Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbb_gw

Problem with ge cafe range

tlbb
16 years ago

I just had my second cafe range delivered and have the same problem as the first one. The front right power burner doesn't work properly. It only works on the power boil setting. Has anyone else been having problems with this range? Thanks.

tlbb

Comments (11)

• maxq
    16 years ago

No problem here, everything is good. We've only been using is about a month though.

• tlbb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's natural gas and NOT dual fuel. Thanks.

• thomas_2008
    16 years ago

We just received our GE Cafe Dual Fuel Range yesterday, and the right front, dual stacked burner does not work properly at all. We had the LP Gas conversion kit installed, and the other burners seem to work fairly well, though the flame in the center burner stays pretty small. The right front burner, which is one of the high output burners, and is dual stacked (dual flame), only lights with a tiny flame, barely low level, and does not adjust AT ALL. It does not go on high, or medium, or anything but just 'very tiny'!

Its sad that there seem to be so many quality problems so far, on this highly promoted, highly touted new GE Line. You call GE and they are like clerks in a hardware store...no idea what is wrong, and no one to refer you to. Huge GE Corp. has no technical assistance??? They WILL send a GE technician to look at the problem....in TWO weeks. So I spend tons of money on three major new GE Cafe appliances, take a big chance on this brand new line...and they could care less if you have big problems. We have not tested the ovens yet, and I am a little bit afraid to do so. I do not need more problems, and am angry enough already. Also the control knobs (cheap and lightweight) squeal like stuck pigs when you twist them. Very nice for a 'high end' appliance. Also our front left burner rocks slightly from side to side, and does not seat completely flat...and our installer is a pro, and tried every which way to keep it from rocking! YIKES!!!

I really do not feel like having another range carted in and assembled, so they better had be able to fix these problems! Any other issues similar out there???? Anyone using the dual fuel on LP Gas? Does anybody else have issues with these burners??? Thanks for any follow up!
    Tom

• mastercomposter
    16 years ago

Tbb or Tom,

Did you get your problems with the stacked burners fixed? I'm having a similar problem.

Mine works fine on the full power boil, and it works fine for very low temps. But as you turn it up from Low the flame does not get any higher until you get up to almost 8, then it gets hot very fast between 8 and Hi. There seems to be almost no adjustment at all until the top burner on the stacked burner comes on, and then it's either all or nothing.

The GE tech came out a week or two ago and decided to order a new valve. He came today to install the new valve, and it worked exactly as it did before. He said he had asked around and that is just how it is designed.

After reassembling everything, the new valve was very stiff and both it and the valve next to it no longer popped out for the Off position safety "catch" that keeps you from turning it on accidantly. Ordinarily you have to push it in to turn it on, but now it's not working like that. I griped about it, and he agreed to come back this afternoon to fix it. I want him to at least put it back together so that it works as before, and I'm not signing off this ticket until that valve has more temperature range control. This is ridiculous given how much this range costs.

If this is really how it is "supposed" to work, he'll need to put it in writing. Then I'll have something to go on if I need to send it back.

• maxq
    16 years ago

Well, I wanted to report that upon working with the power boil burner a little more, I understand the problem people are having, and mine DOES have it too. There's an area in the valve actuation where nothing at all happens, probably through 4 numbers or so, and then it adjusts quite rapidly. Considering that gas stoves are supposed to give a cook more control, I would think the operation of this burner provides less control, and can be quite frustrating.

I too will getting a tech in here.

• ivan_green
    15 years ago

I'm having the same problem too. Two different GE technicians have come by without fixing the problem. Any luck anyone?

• mackdesigns_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

I purchased a GE Cafe range in January of 2010. A few months down the road, I had problems with the burners not wanting to light. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I called a tech from Sears where I purchased it and he came out and after an hour or so of switching around the burners, he got them to work (I have 5, including the center grill burner and a 1 yr warranty). He left without replacing any parts. Since then they have still been giving me problems off and on, so in my opinion, Sears tech didn't really fix it.

Now its April of 2011 and the center burner won't light properly. Burns only out of a small hole on the side. I took the burner off, cleaned it thoroughly and the area on the stove where it sits. Still, it won' light. I have contacted Sears and they refuse to service it for the same problem because the warranty has expired.
    I have read all of the problems on this link, and it sounds like this was a range that has many of the same problems which to me would warrant a recall.

Anyone know if there's one in the works?

FYI: I use natural gas and mine is a dual with a gas top and electrical in the oven
    I feel ripped off by Sears and GE.

• Tom Domitrovich
    7 years ago

I have a GE cafe series dual fuel range that the roast feature never did work. They sent the repair man out, he has been here 4 times. After his third trip out the control panel went up in flames and a huge fireball exited the oven itself. Now nothing works. I call the GE hot line daily and never get to talk to the same person twice and one was very rude!! The repair man said we need a new wire harness and that it is not available. The oven was installed in september and the harness is no longer available? Really? I have spent hours on the phone and my mistery service rep never calls back. I remodeled my kitchen with the range as the center point of the reno. I sure wish my kitchen was built around an LG!! My model number of the stove is C2S985SET8SS serial DG184201P. Don't make the same mistake I made,

• marygilliam
    6 years ago

Hi Tom - I have the Cafe Series 5SS, have had it for about 2 years and the control panel went out. Any tips?

Mary G. June 19, 2017

• HU-555497027
    3 years ago

I was able to fix my power boil burner on the front right of my GE Cafe Range. I took the burner completely apart (Including removing the 3 screws on the bottom to pull it apart further).

I then soaked it in VERY HOT water with Dawn Platinum Dish Soap for about 20 or 30 minutes. After I pulled it out of the water is when it got a bit dicey. I have been an HO Car and Train Enthusiast when I was younger. I took a very soft, small Hobby Level Brass wire brush and pulled it through each of the grooves in the burnger plates. I used very little pressure in order to keep from scratching the surface. You don't want surface scratches as it will impede the gas flow and/or make tiny grooves for future carbon or foreign stuff like boil over to plug the "jets" of the burner.

I then took compressed air to it in order to dry it and knock any left behind particles off of it.

Put is all back together and IT WORKS LIKE A CHAMP!