Your shopping cart is empty.

Pollen Stains

ladybuggyz
August 25, 2006

I know this isn't the discussions forum but I don't think there is one and I would like to find some info from people who probably have more information about lilies. I recieved several flower arrangements as an birthday gift and to make the story short, I would walk around the house and discover these "powdery" stains on my shirts and I changed clothes twice daily for two days not knowing what this powder was until I realized it was the pollen from the asiatic/oriental lilies in several of the arrangements. I DID rub the clothes at first not knowing that the powdery substance was pollen from the lilies and I did the laundry today and the stains will not come off. I did read that you could leave the clothes out in the sun, use tape, brush it off....but I think it's a little too late for that because it's been over a week since the stains have been on the clothes. Is there ANYTHING I can do to remove these week-old stains that I foolishly rubbed? Would appreciate any information. Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

• lindac

I have never found anything that would remove lily pollen....
    I am now very careful to remove the nathers as soon as a lily opens.
    I carried an Easter lily home from church in my quite new car......the yellow stain stayed for 8 years until I traded it.
    Linda C

• ginny12

Lilies are famous for this. When you get them, immediately cut off the dark red/orange stamens over paper towels or newspapers. When new buds open, do the same thing. I use a small embroidery or manicure scissors. The pollen can be removed by a good dry cleaner. I have never found an at-home cleaning method that worked. If you get it on your clothes, above all don't brush it in or try to wash it off--only gets worse. Take it to the cleaners.

• twelvepole

Blot from outside stain toward middle with white rag and denatured alcohol or dry cleaning fluid.

• metaphysician

Surpisingly, sunlight does work. It bleaches the pollen stains right out after a day in the sun. I wouldn't have believed it until I tried it myself. However, I don't know whether it would work AFTER the garment has been laundered.

It's worth a try, and it's free!

• hamptonmeadow

Metaphysician, you are a genius! I tried to soak my shirt in everything known to man and finally stuck it out in the sun. Two hours later stain was gone!!!

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).