Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Problem with My Zephyr Venezia Hood

Laurie
13 years ago

I had purchased a Zephyr Venezia hood this past year to go with my 30" Viking gas range. I purchased this brand because I liked the look and, due to cost and recommendations.

It was installed around September of 2010. Was working rather well; good intake (600 cfm) - never had a problem with smoke, odors or anything in the kitchen or house at all.

I admit that I've been careless about keeping the filters clean. I've only cleaned them twice since they it was installed. My fault; I didn't read the manual to see that they should be washed monthly.

However, I'm rather sure this isn't the cause of my problem. Suddenly last week, the unit began having electrical issues. The buttons seemed to be sticking and if it wasn't that they are sticking then it's shorting out for sure. The unit turns itself on by itself in fact. A couple of times we were in the living room and heard a whooshing noise from the kitchen only to find it running. We have to really hit the buttons too hard to turn on the lights or fan, and then can not shut them off.

It also seems to be way too hot to me - but this could also be normal. I've never owned this type of hood before.

The one thing which occurred to me is this. When the hood was installed the installation people didn't removed the plastic wrap on the unit at all. It took me a good month before I realized it was encased in plastic - it was that hard to see. Obviously I ripped as much off as I could, but I never was able to get off the parts which are still on the sides touching my kitchen cabinets (very minimal, maybe 1" worth, it's rather slim there). But part of me does wonder if this may have damaged the circuit board - making the unit run too hot for that one month and it finally has caught up with it? Or maybe there is more plastic somewhere that I have not found?

Interestingly I found one reference to this online, but no useful detailed information.

Anyway - I called for service. Thankfully, there is a 1 year warranty on the unit. They are coming out Wednesday to see what is going on (that and to look at my Kitchenaid French door fridge which has been having some annoying ice maker issues since I got it *shakes fist*).

So, I'm wondering if anyone else has ever dealt with this type of issue with a hood before, or has had any problems with a Zephyr.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• djg1
    12 years ago

No problem with my Zephyr Tempest II in the fist month here, and the entire front of the hood is still covered with the stupid white plastic. Because -- and this will no doubt shock people -- the contractor hasn't actually gotten around to the patching and painting in the kitchen (including constructing the duct cover). So I have a different model entirely -- baffles, etc. -- but I'm not sure why a bit of plastic on the side would impede function at all. The side is a sheet, isn't it? And the motor isn't cooling itself through the surrounding cabinets. Maybe a different installation error entirely, or maybe just bad luck with a part?

I hope the repair person clears this up for you.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for responding.

Turns out, it's the touch panel. Apparently, I got a faulty one, my dumb luck with everything else that has gone wrong in this house lol.

They ordered a new one, and disconnected my hood for the time being so that it wouldn't keep going on and off on it's own.

It arrives in a couple of weeks; and they come back to install (1 year warranty from Zephyr).

One down, fridge to go! They are replacing the freezer maker too :D

• Laurie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops I meant ice maker!

• drwalt
    5 years ago

I also have that problem. My Zephyr hood was installed in December of 2016 and it immediately began turning itself on. Not only that, it comes on when I use something else, like the disposal or the mixer (even across the room). I called them and they said it was because it was looking for the remote (which we don't even need and hadn't even put batteries in). She said to put batteries in the remote and that would solve it. Not so much. We've gone away on trips and had the fan turn itself on and run the whole time we're gone! When I run my hand mixer on high speed at the island, the fan comes on! It's got to be something with the frequency range of the remote or something but we now have to cut the electric to it when we leave town. What a pain!

• kaseki
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

What scheme does this remote use, optical, RF, acoustic? I would disable the remote, disable* the sensor that receives its signal, and see what happens.

But my guess from this sparse information is that the unit is not well shielded from noise on the electrical lines. Some filtering of the feed power would be called for in that case. (Not something you would design yourself unless your doctorate is in electrical engineering.) However, suitable and economical devices are probably out there.

Also, if electrical noise is the culprit, one has to wonder at your wiring, and whether the house-wide grounding/bonding approach is functional.

* block or disconnect if you can get to it

• kangnyank
    4 years ago

Same exact issue with this hood

• Philip Dayal
    4 years ago

We have had the same issue with the fan and light turning on by itself specially during summer months. It’s been about two years since we installed it. Any way to fix it?

• scshyu
    4 years ago

Same issue with my just out of 1 year warranty Zephyr DUO range hood. It turned on by itself in a quiet night or when other appliances start/stop. It seems the problem is not limited to only one model. Sad.

• Andy Garcia
    4 years ago

We had this same problem and the customer support told us to synchronize the remote. I hadn't realized that we even have a remote. Either way, I located it and followed the synch directions (this is key!).

It DID turn on one more time but that was when we took a power hit to the home.

It's been a week now with no issue so I'll call that a success.

• Rolanda Desrosiers-Lewis
    3 years ago

The first hood never linked to the remote and it would go on at all hours. 3 remotes later a new hood was installed. Again the hood turns on and off by itself. Ugh!

• ksd4423
    3 years ago

I ordered a Savona Zephyr hood. It says on their website FAQ that there is a Clean Air feature that automatically turns on every 4 hours for 10 minutes to circulate the air in your home. It can be turned off if you want.

• Geoff Ping
    3 years ago

Same issue here. Sometimes the fan turns on for 1 second and back off. Other times I’ll come home and it’s running on high for who knows how long. Today I woke up to find the light on high.

• ksd4423
    3 years ago

Update to my previous post: I've had my Zephyr hood since October and I'm not experiencing this problem. I wonder if it is on the older models this is occurring? I also no longer see a command to turn off the fan to keep it from turning itself on but I know I did see it on their website. I really love it though! I can see when cooking the hood sucks the smoke and vapers right up