Software
Houzz Logo Print
dimond_gw

Removal of Dishwasher Detergent Build-Up

15 years ago

I have a Miele dishwasher in a rental unit that has been used (abused) for about a year by tenants that may have used incorrect and/or too much dishwashing detergent - which has resulted in a severe build-up of a white hard material throughout the dishwasher (i.e., racks, plastic, stainless steel metal screens/parts). This material has built up to 0.030 inches (give or take). Much of it I can scrape off - but not that which has built up on the stainless steel screens - it plugs the holes and layers on top of the screen. Vinegar and LimeAway with soaking/scrubbing do not touch this material - so I doubt if it is a hard water deposit build-up (in fact our water is fairly soft). I tried Amaze - no luck. I tried quite a few other spray on cleansers with no luck. I tried sanding the material with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper but that would hardly touch it - this stuff is very very hard. So, what is this stuff? And how do I get rid of it? I can remove my screens and soak them if necessary. Any input is appreciated.

Comments (6)