Software
Houzz Logo Print
ehoops_gw

What's on the inside of your custom cabinets?

19 years ago

I also posted on the kitchen's forum...

We've had two custom cabinet makers bid our job and unfortunately the one I was really leaning toward came in MUCH higher. I'm ok with the other but I can't seem to get past the inside of the cabinets. My kitchen will have a mix of white perimeter cabs and stained island along with a stained china cabinet (and a number of other stained cabinets throughout the house). Everything seems Ok until I open a dark stained (showroom)cabinet and staring at me is a stark white melamine interior drawer or cabinet. Is this normal? Does is scream "cheap" although I'm paying custom prices? I would love to hear and see what everyone has on the inside of their custom cabinets. Thanks!

Comments (9)

  • 19 years ago

    It seems a bit strange that a custom cabinet maker would use melamine in any of his work. Any chance that he's not custom and actually buys his boxes already made? Tom

  • 19 years ago

    My cabinets are a light colored wood inside. It looks like they used poplar or maybe maple for the plywood boxes and then finished that. It's not melamine. The open cabinets are finished the same on the inside as the outside of the cabinets (stained cherry).

    In my experience, the mid-high to high end cabinet lines don't use melamine interiors. "Custom" can mean pretty much any price point.

  • 19 years ago

    I'm pretty sure that having melamine on the interior means that the cabinet boxes are bought. I know that many "custom" builders buy their boxes these days but not all.

    Ours are exactly the same inside as outside. Personally, I'd pay more and get the interior you prefer if possible-- you'll be looking at the interior of those cabinets many times a day.

  • 19 years ago

    My cabs are being made by a local cabinet maker--all plywood construction, no particle board whatsoever. The insides will be finished the same as the outside--cream painted cabs will be cream inside; stained island and other stained cabs will be stained inside. I haven't heard of a "custom" builder using pre-fab boxes. If that is the case, I surely hope the price reflects it! Good luck!

  • 19 years ago

    We have oak cabinets with wood adjustable shelves, while lower cabs have wood pull outs. I did specifically request melamine on the bottom (only) of the kitchen sink cabinet.

  • 19 years ago

    My cabs are all plywood, poplar for the boxes and knotty alder for the face frames and doors.

    My GC builds his own cabinets. This is one of his big selling points because he says cabinets are very easy to build. He pretty much "hooks" his clients with the cabinets alone. They are beautiful, great quality and cheap - $8200 for my whole house!

  • 19 years ago

    Kellyeng, wow that's a great price!! I don't imagine you live anywhere close to the Bay Area (California)???

  • 19 years ago

    Nope. I'm in good 'ol (cheap) Texas!