Software
Houzz Logo Print
chiefneil

More leaking windows

18 years ago

I can't decide if this is due to the oft-mentioned flashing issues, or actual defective windows. The window rep is coming out in a couple days to take a look. I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions.

The house is a few years old and I haven't noticed this before. We don't get much rain in Phoenix but when we do it can be hard and driving, as it was when I took these photos.

You can see from the photos that the windows aren't leaking around the edges where it meets the drywall, but appear instead to be leaking through the frame itself. Not much water came through - as you can see it's just a few drops at a time, maybe a tablespoon total (that I could see).

Three of these windows are leaking - they're fixed, non-opening windows. I also have a sliding window (slides sideways to open) that gets water inside the track - is that common? I don't recall the problem in my previous home with sliders.

{{gwi:1477883}}

{{gwi:1477884}}

Comments (9)

  • 18 years ago

    I would expect it to be the flashing. Water might be entering near the top and traveling down to the nearest area where it can come out.....bottom of the window.

  • 18 years ago

    Well the window guy is here, and it looks like a bad seal between the IGU (insulated glass unit) and the frame/trim. He pulled one IGU out and it looked like some sealant was missing at the corners. Hopefully that's the problem - he's pulling all the IGU's and applying fresh sealant.

    Crossing my fingers that the leaks are fixed...

  • 18 years ago

    Hi Chiefneil, good luck with that. An off topic question, but i was curious about the slab moisture issues you had a long while back during or right after completion of your build and how was that solved. Thanks.

  • 18 years ago

    What brand are your windows? I have Milgard and they have been trying to fix this for years. I, too, am trying to decide if this is a flashing issue or the windows. Milgard has repaired the sealant and tried a few other things, but they still leak.

  • 18 years ago

    Oh man, dlynn - I'm sorry to say that I have Milgard windows as well. Now you have me worried! I guess I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best.

    Sierraeast, no real resolution of the slab moisture puzzle. I capped off quite a few of the drip irrigation heads in the landscaping that were close to the house (more than 50, in fact). But the slab still seems to put out a lot of moisture. I did talk to an engineering company at one point and they said all they could do was tell me the moisture level - they wouldn't comment on whether it was unusually high or anything like that. So it's just a puzzle that I'm leaving alone as it doesn't seem to be causing any harm.

  • 18 years ago

    IMO the caulking is just a bandaid fix for flashing issues
    while caulking may keep water from entering the house
    my concern would be is the water entering the wall?

    what cladding do you have on the exterior?
    and is that plaster walls?
    is your home new or existing?

  • 18 years ago

    Hi energy_rater. The walls are drywall, exterior is stucco. There's no evidence of moisture around the windows so far, all I could see was water seeping in from around the glass unit itself.

    Here's a shot of the exterior to better show what the window tech said was going on. You can see where I have the IGU-to-frame seal highlighted does look like a possible point of entry for water, if the seal isn't 100%. I don't believe flashing would help with this area, but of course I could be wrong. I also need to check out all the weepholes, as the builder didn't do a great job of cleaning out the stucco and paint that got in.

    Anyway, it most certainly could be the flashing at fault. I just have to wait for a few more hard rains to see if the problem persists.

    {{gwi:1477885}}

  • 18 years ago

    We had leaky Pella windows within two years of installation. The windows were leaking where the glass meets the frame (aluminum-clad wood frames). The Pella rep told us that their maintenance manual suggests re-caulking EVERY YEAR. Amazing.

    Yet another reason I tell people to avoid Pella like the plague...

    Bob

  • 18 years ago

    Do you have any pictures of when your house was under construction? They might come in handy when dealing with warranty issues.

    OT, I saw you pool used in an advertisement in the Clipper. I assume they had permission to use it, but I just thought I'd mention it.