Software
Houzz Logo Print
willietom

New house elevations

12 years ago

No longer available

This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 20:57

Comments (23)

  • 12 years ago

    Way too complicated roof. Is there a floor plan to go with these elevations?

  • 12 years ago

    Not Available

    This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:06

  • 12 years ago

    Message not available

    This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:03

  • 12 years ago

    Too many different windows that scale inappropriately. Too many gables. Too many gewgaws entirely like those silly little mini rooflets over the garage doors. A mix of eave detailing that makes no sense. I'd bet that the kitchen sink is thrown onto that exterior somewhere because everthing else was.

  • 12 years ago

    Message removed

    This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:18

  • 12 years ago

    Content no longer available

    This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:00

  • 12 years ago

    Message no longer available

    This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 20:59

  • 12 years ago

    You'd need a completely different floorplan to make this look like a farmhouse. This is NeoEcclecticism at it's most inauthentic.

    For a classic farmhouse design, I'd do the garage as barn, with gambrell roof and then the center as an old fashioned longer than deep plain jane 2 story rectangle with a shed roof porch on 2-3 sides.

  • 12 years ago

    Original message no longer available

    This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:01

  • 12 years ago

    The floor plan and the exterior need to be developed together. If you wanted a country feel, that should have been taken into account when the floor plans were drawn up.

    Also, don't know what you consider a "country feel".

  • 12 years ago

    Content has been removed

    This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:02

  • 12 years ago

    I do like your idea to make it look like a farmhouse. It's awesome idea!!! I agree with other commentators though about gables.. I would suggest get rid with some of the gables. I think it would be best. Other than that.. I love it!

  • 12 years ago

    If you are set on not touching the floor plan much at all, I'd consider your best bet being to simplify by doing a few changes: Pull the window above the front door forward and combine the "gable within gable" to be just the larger gable. Turn the dormer above the dining room into one with a shed roof instead of a gable roof. Square-out the garage by removing the bump-out on the side wall and making a gable above it instead of the hip roof, and square out the front by making a continuous wall with three separate garage doors, either keeping the gable above or switching it out for two shed dormers. Definitely remove the awning-like structures. I'd also remove the gable of the porch above the front door, as you can bring prominence to it through the columns and landscaping. Simpler shapes with better materials will give the house enough character, the overly complex details are unnecessary. Good luck!

  • 12 years ago

    This message is no longer available

    This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:04

  • 12 years ago

    2nd Level

    This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 20:53

  • 12 years ago

    I didn't see the revised version which included a couple of my comments! In any case, here's a sketch of what I was suggesting, which the only finished space that should be effected is the upstairs bath. You could bring it forward, have a slightly larger vanity, and included the linen closet inside the bathroom. Perhaps turn the current linen closet into bookshelves, a regular closet, or access to storage in the attic spaces.

  • 12 years ago

    Message removed

    This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:05

  • 12 years ago

    Content removed

    This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:07

  • 12 years ago

    If you've got the space, separate the garage from the main house with a breezeway or enclosed porch to make it look more country. mvjc did a great job. Can anything be done to eliminate that top bump in the roofline...it makes it look so bad vs a straight roofline. And the transom over the big window doesn't fit the rest of the facade.

    I agree about designing in and out at the same time. It is essential ... harder to do, but essential ... to getting a house that's cohesive and attractive, inside and out. To us, it was so important that we ripped up dozens of plans because we couldn't fit a decent exterior to it. It was well worth the effort.

  • 12 years ago

    Message not available

    This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:08

  • 12 years ago

    Not available

    {{!gwi}}

    This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 20:56

  • 12 years ago

    I don't like it, something just seems off with the roof on the bottom of the house.......

  • 12 years ago

    Comparing the two design. I prefer the second one. Since you made it more simple than the previous design. I suggest you make some changes on the front..

    Don't push too hard on yourself. Just relax and you'll see. You could come up with great design for you home.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Safe and Sound Property Inspections

    This post was edited by MarkBrandon01 on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 3:08