Software
Houzz Logo Print
maria110

To move or not move the sink

13 years ago
I am doing a complete reno of this kitchen and wanting to know if there would be any problems in moving the sink completely to the other side. Both walls are interior walls in between 2 apartments. The room is 12 feet across by 14.5 feet long. The back wall is the wall of the bathroom. Do you need a whole new vent pipe or do you tap into the original one or the bathroom one? Will there be any water pressure issues?

Comments (15)

  • 13 years ago
    I see that you also have electricity and heating in that wall - I think your best bet is get an appraisal of what you want done by licensed and experience plumber. There could be definite problems doing what you want and you can count on it being pretty expensive - this is definitely NOT a do-it yourself job!!
  • 13 years ago
    Don't get an appraisal but get an estimate. In fact, get three estimates from three contractors.
  • 13 years ago
    Contractors are not necessarily knowledgable enough to know what is involved even if they are licensed carpenters. A plumber is who you need to talk to.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Are you sure you can get to an adequately sized drain when you move it and can you tap into water supply lines?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Do you mind if I ask Why? Have you looked at design options and this is cost effective and/or ?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I agree with Joanne....why would you do this?
    I do recommend radiant heat if it is feasible since you are doing a complete renovation....get rid of the baseboard heat. :)
  • 13 years ago
    The reason I would like to move the sink is that it was the only way to give me the layout that I liked which is: the whole kitchen would be against that wall - pantry, cupboards, stove, dishwasher, sink and fridge all in one clean line. Then, that would allow for a 4 foot long by 3foot wide island with a 5foot long table connected to it (but not attached). The kitchen would be 2 clean lines with lots of open space. If I leave the sink where it is then I would need to use the back wall for the pantry and fridge and that would only leave me room for a table or an island but not both and I really like the look of both.

    Everything will be renovated including the bathroom, so tearing the walls won't be major.

    The apartment to the right is a mirror image of this aparment i.e. the wall with the stove in my apartment is the wall with the stove in that apartment. The apartment to the left which shares the wall that has my sink is not a mirror image however it does share the wall where that apartment has their washer hookup.

    As much as I prefer the layout with the sink moved, I won't do it if it's opening a can of worms and will cause headaches down the road and cost over $1000 to do. I appreciate all your best advice on this and if it's truly not a good idea please let me know.

    I like the idea of the radiant heating - will this eliminate the need for any baseboard? I've been told I would still need to have a baseboard.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I cannot imagine it costing under $1000 but get estimates...I could be totally wrong about that! :)
  • 13 years ago
    Moving a sink is a big endeavor, and not a in-expensive one. You need new water connections, new drainage and very likely, new venting. While its good to tackle it while all the walls are down, consider if the lemon is worth the squeeze. If it is, go for it now.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    estimates and budget will decide it for you.Then I would weigh the cost of the move with the cost of putting the money on an amazing appliance or lighting(both things you can easily take with you). A good designer can make something so beautiful you wont care where the sink is.Imagine gasping with joy everytime you walk in your kitchen?Will the sink move do that for you?2 cents.
  • 13 years ago
    It will definitely be more costly to move the sink than not to move the sink. You should absolutely consult a plumber to see if it can be done, but the chances are even a plumber will need to open a wall and a floor to see where the drain is and how the current sink is vented. If you are already spending money on the remodel, getting exactly what you want (the layout) is important, get an estimate and see if there is something else in your budget that you could cut. For example, skip upscale appliances if you are not a die hard cook, etc.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Well, I feel it's great that you have thought this through and have a plan. If you are planning to completely gut and replace then your overall budget must be $25 - $60 for new kitchen and bathroom, furniture, appliances etc.
    I have had toilets moved to make the room work effectively so I do understand. If you have the budget then make sure you have a reputable contractor. I assume you own the building/house.
  • 13 years ago
    I just had a plumber give me an estimate to move my kitchen sink approx. 15 ft. He said it would be around $4500!! So now I really need to consider if it will be worth it - the difference between loving my new kitchen or feeling like I've settled.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    That's about what I would have expected.