Software
Houzz Logo Print
dan1888

De Buyer Carbone Plus- Induction

15 years ago

DeBuyer Carbone Plus carbon steel is available from Kerekes(bakedeco.com) in Brooklyn. The crepe pans at 13.50(8") and 27.50(12") give you 6-3/4 and 10 inches of cooking surface. The De Buyer site has a video on seasoning.

Here is a link that might be useful: De Buyer Carbone Plus

Comments (7)

  • 15 years ago

    This looks like a great buy! I use my 8" nonstick fry pan for crepes almost every week. But I've been wanting to get rid of both of my nonstick pans (8" & 12" frypans) and these look like a way to do it. I did get a 10" cast iron (Lodge) pan that I'm pleased with but haven't tried making eggs in it yet. Generally I make the bacon/sausage in the Lodge pan and make the eggs in my nonstick.

    It would be great to know if someone here has already used these pans and how he/she liked them.

  • 15 years ago

    I have some. Haven't used them a lot. I like them. Eggs are the one thing that handle differently in nonstick than in seasoned cast iron or steel. I usually use enamel (Le Creuset) for eggs, having no nonstick, but if you're used to nonstick you might not like giving it up. I don't think I'd like making eggs in the DeBuyer pans. The sides are short and flared and I'd worry I'd slop them over. Perfect for crepes though. But I've never made those in nonstick either.

  • 15 years ago

    Thanks for the feedback, plllog! We have a Le Creuset outlet store nearby. I'll have to check out their frypans. It gives me a good excuse to visit their store--a favorite of mine!

  • 15 years ago

    I received and am using both of these. They are nice pans with excellent response. Here is a video on how to season, use and care for them. I haven't used a nonstick since these arrived.

    Here is a link that might be useful: De Buyer site video

  • 15 years ago

    Thanks Dan! I'm definitely looking to replace my 12" Farberware frypan because of a loose handle that won't stay tightened (frypan is 34 years old so I don't feel too guily replacing it). Also, if I do decide to go with induction, none of my Farberware will work on it. I'd' rather start replacing my pans now piece by piece as I find pans I like. Also, until 10 years ago, I cooked eggs and everything else in my stainless pans--never had big problems as long as I used sufficient butter or bacon grease in the pan and pan wasn't too hot. I'm sure crepes will be wonderful in the 8" De Buyer pan (and I make DS#3 crepes almost every weekend for breakfast)!

  • 15 years ago

    Not just crepes- these are recommnded for omelets and meat. The large (11.8") has a 1" side good for browning onions, portobello mushrooms and sweet potato chunks and lots more. The higher side pans with stainless handle are an alternative but cheap in the UK only.

    Here is a link that might be useful: De Buyer carbone plus stainless handle

  • 15 years ago

    I just looked. My biggest has 8" of cooking surface. I have two smaller and a blini size. Now that you mention it, omelettes should be great in one of these. I haven't done that. Most of the time, when I make eggs, they're over or pan scrambled, and that's where I'd worry about slopping over the edge. Great for socca, though!