Software
Houzz Logo Print
billmcook

1975 traditional style home remodel!

13 years ago
I just purchased a 1975 built 4 br 2 &1/2 BATH traditional style home 2763 sq. ft. The home has a living dining combo, a separate kitchen and breakfast combo. Large den with corner fireplace Den has oak paneling and the kitchen has oak cabinets with a double oven, dishwasher, and trash compacter.Kitchen and baths have furdowns. I would like to completely update the home. (Wood flooring in entry, living/dining, den and hall: tile in kitchen, breakfast, laundry and 1/2 bath. Of course tile in the other baths. I also want to update the bath which has furdowns, old marble double sink and tub/shower combo which has to be replaced. I would like to use granite and all new fixtures in kitchen and baths. Any ideas and cost estimates?

Comments (6)

  • 13 years ago
    What area is the home? It really depends on what neck of the woods you're in. If there isn't much more to your kitchen than what I see I can say I could easily and minimally install new cabinets and granite tops in there for about 5k. Add appliances and whatever surpises need to be addressed. Ultimately it depends on your vision esp since I have seen more upgraded remodels easily in the 20k-30k range of this size. Share you location and idea photos and we can help more. Thanks!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The best approach is to make a wish list, put together a binder of ideas and styles you like, and then get some contractors in to look at your project and suggest an appropriate budget. Given the size of home and age of home, I would suggest a $100K budget, but that's based on our clientele and our area, and may not be appropriate for your circumstances.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    In our neck of the woods (Silicon Valley), such a project would run you about $200k for updating finishes only, $300k if you are also redoing systems, roofing, sheetrock/insulation and maybe knocking down a wall or two, and $400k+ if you are also relocating kitchen and baths, raising ceiling heights and changing roofline, and adding a bit of square footage to make the new floor plan work.
  • 13 years ago
    FYI, I was describing the Kitchen cabinetry and tops ONLY. I wouldn't have quoted the homeowner with more detail without seeing more detail. $200k can but a brand new house down here :) Thanks!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you do it yourself and hire some labor to help with the heavy lifting, you should get by with under 5k for each bathroom and 10k for the kitchen including reasonable but nice appliances.

    The big savings is if you learn to pour countertops.... I learned it from YouTube. They are very easy to do with 5 gallon bucket , mixing drill, some 1by 6's coated with oil to build the frame on top of 3/4 inch marine plywood, some reinforcement bars for strength and a few floating tools you are in business.

    Very cheap to build!