Software
Houzz Logo Print
richardtb

Quartz dining table

13 years ago

I would like to get a dining table with a quartz countertop.

Our architect for our remodel suggested that we buy a sturdy base that is designed for stone counters. The contractor's stone fabricator would then build a wood sub base attached to the base we purchase that will receive the quartz counter top.

Has anyone done here done this? Any suggestions on which table to use as a sturdy base?

This post was edited by richardtb on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 20:59

Comments (8)

  • 13 years ago

    I did a custom stone topped table for my kitchen. It sits on a plywood subtop, using a 2cm slab. I had a table base customized by a metal craftsman, using very strong tubular steel. We followed the basic overhang and span directions from the MIA -- no spans greater than 24 inches and no overhangs greater than 8 to 10". I found great advice in the archives here and on the woodworker's forum. I chose metal because I needed a pedestal style base. Even then, I fretted over the necessary dimensions and posted a picture to validate it with some of the experts here (like a doctor's second opinion).

    Quartz can be even heavier than natural stone, so you need to ensure that your wood sub-base is adequately supported. A 2 cm slab of natural stone can weigh like 13 to 15 pounds per square foot, and it won't tolerate a whole lot of sag without eventually cracking. Even a plywood subtop will be inadequate to span the full width of a dining table without some cross-supports underneath.

  • 13 years ago

    If you happen to live in Houston, Tx, I would like to know the name of the metal craftsman you used.

  • 13 years ago

    Very impressive!

  • 11 years ago

    Who did you use in etsy? I love the table. Thanks

  • 9 years ago

    What is the size of the table here and who did you get on etsy for the legs?

  • 8 years ago

    i'm looking for the same... any contacts would be appreciated.

  • 8 years ago

    I can build the steel table frame if needed. You need to calculate the total weight of the quartz top and the base can be designed around the weight. I'm in California but i'm sure any fabrication shop could build the table base for you. I would use a minumum of 2x2 mild steel square tube with 0.125" wall thickness. I've included a link to my Etsy shop. I also build custom table legs so that you can use any wood or stone top that you choose.

    https://www.etsy.com/shop/RedDogsCrafts