Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

Gusset decreases on socks

socks
16 years ago

I missed a gusset decrease and have one more stitch on one side than the other. Can I just add a decrease on the one side when I do a plain round to even things up? That won't hurt anything will it?

I don't mind backing up and taking out, but taking out SSK's and K2's is so hard and usually looks messy by the time I struggle through it.

Comments (11)

• bostonpat_gw
    16 years ago

It will even things up just fine -no one but you will know it's there - trust me!

• socks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks...then please don't tell! LOL!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

I agree, just do it.

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

Socks, you can also do one extra round and only decrease on that side. Either way is fine. The extra round won't make any difference in the way the socks fit. Trust me! I've done it lots of times. And I've done it your way, also.

Tami and I won't tell, either!

• socks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Tami. I don't mean to be asking too many questions about socks, but I'd like to ask one more...

I was so concerned about a gusset hole on one side that I didn't pay attention to the other side, so I do have a small hole. Darn! (pun intended) Is there a technique to close up that hole with a needle and yarn without it looking pulled or puckered? I've gone too far to take out now!

I love knitting socks, but it just doesn't come naturally to me, and I'm determined to get better at it. They are fun, portable, useful, and not to expensive to knit.

I tried to join socknitters.com, but they are having trouble over there and I just couldn't get in to post there.

Thanks, everyone.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

I read somewhere that if you will have a hole at the gusset where you pick up stitches, just pick up one or two or three more, and then remember to decrease them too. Usually when you do the gusset, you do a few rows of plain knitting after making the last decrease, so those rows you use to just decrease the stitches you added. I don't knit socks much because I am in a warm climate, but I do make tiny ones and turn them into newborn booties with an eyelet row and a tie.

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

Socks, never worry about asking too many questions! If I am here and can answer them, I'll be happy to!

If you have a hole at the start of the gussett, just darn it with out pulling to tightly. When you are picking up stitches to begin the heel, where you usually get that hole, instead of picking up that one stitch, pick it up one row below. That almost completely closes that hole! It might be a little larger than the others but it isn't nearly as noticable.

Sheila, if you like knitting socks, try the new yarns made from crab shells, ect. They are very light weight, and you can just make one inch of ribbing before making the rest of the socks to have a light weight pair of sneaker/golf socks that barely show above your shoes to wear with shorts! I can not wear shoes with out socks, no matter how hot it is, unless I wear sandles. Unfortunately, with my ankle still messed up from breaking it a year and a half ago, I can't get away with sandles for a long time. I need the support of a regular shoe. I wear lots of those kind of socks!

Tami

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

Made from crab shells? Have not seen that yarn. I have seen yarn made from soy or bamboo and have no idea how they knit up, launder and wear.

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

Sheila, Check out the link below. That is the web site from the ball I have started for socks. It's very light weight and soft. It is supposed to be naturally anti-bacterial. This is the first socks I've tried with this yarn, so I don't know how it will wear. I know a few ladies who have used it and thought it worked up nicely.

Tami

Here is a link that might be useful: yarn from crab shells

• socks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Tami.

I just saw that crab shell yarn this weekend. Amazing! I didn't buy any as I'd already gone overboard a little on some other things. Which yarn is it on the website you linked?

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

Sorry, we just got home from a week on the road. I have the TOFUtsies in a light pink and a darker pink. I have half of one short sneaker sock done in it. It works up nice, is soft as a baby's bottom and only a few stitches have split, and that's when I'm not paying attention, as I can't watch what I am doing while riding. I have to watch the road and scenery or get sick, but I have learned to feel most of the sts and not look!

Tami

Sponsored
More Discussions