Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprengle1

Help with refrigerator placement and panel!

sprengle1
15 years ago

I've been so inspired by the kitchens I've seen on here and I'm hoping some of you great people can help me with a problem I'm having. I need to make a decision about the placement of our refrigerator, cabinet above it and the side panel and I need help!!

We added 8 ft to our existing kitchen and had to take out a load-bearing wall to do so. So the wall that the side of the refrigerator is going to be up against is 31" deep. The refrigerator needs to be pulled forward so that the doors have room to open. They need to be at that 31" mark.

My husband also wants to have a little room on either side of the fridge and not have a very tight fit.

I plan to have a side panel on the other side of the refrigerator and a 24" deep cabinet above it. My problem is with the placement of everything.

The refrigerator has to come forward. There are no other options. Do I bring the cabinet forward as well, and use a deeper panel?

Do I use a 24" panel and leave the cabinet back against the wall and then the panel will end with the edge of the countertop? This will leave about of refrigerator side showing.

I'd wanted to put a refrigerator return on that side rather than just a plain panel. But now I'm thinking it will look funny to have that much refrigerator sticking out. A trim/filler piece would go on the wall side to match it if I choose to do that.

I could also get a deeper panel and modify it with the trim piece to give it the finished return look.

I'm really confused about what to do at this point and I need to make a decision and get these pieces ordered so they will be here when we are ready for the cabinets to go in.

Here's the layout as it stands now and it includes the 24" deep panel and a filler piece for the spacing my husband wants. (I changed my mind once the order went in). The overhead view doesn't show the depth issue, but am posting it for additional info!

I would really appreciate any advice!

Comments (6)

• sprengle1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone? Should I give more or different information?

How far out does a standard refrigerator usually stand from a side panel?

I need to make the decision today or tomorrow and could really use help!

• berf
    15 years ago

I had an almost identical situation to yours, but for different reasons. I have a 30" deep wall that surrounds my chimney in the living room so my fridge wall had to be 30" deep. I went with 30" deep base cabs and 24" uppers to the right of the fridge. I also had them make my over the fridge cabinet 30" deep. This may seem crazy--BUT I love the depth. I have my giant occasional use things shoved back there--mainly seasonal stuff that gets rotated. Right now its full of all the summer picnic items, outdoor wire chafing frames all that stuff...But if you don't want a 30" deep cabinet I would definitely have them pull the 24" forward and get a 30" deep panel. You'll have a much easier time opening that upper and the fridge will look more built in if they bring it forward.
    I have a 30" panel to the right of my fridge, and on the other side I actually put a bookcase facing the other room, but also the full depth. Here are some pics.
    {{gwi:1579093}}

{{gwi:1579094}}

{{gwi:1579095}}

• sprengle1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Berf, thank you! Your setup looks great!

I can't do the deeper cabinets now as the order went in weeks ago. But now I think I am going to order the deeper panel and pull the cabinet over the fridge forward. My countertop won't go to the edge of the panel, but I won't mind!

My latest thrill is based on such a simple pleasure and looking at your pictures reminds me of it. My coffeemaker will be right next to the fridge instead of across the room and at one end. The mugs and coffee and tea and honey will all be just above it instead of at the opposite end of the room. Talk about a 'work triangle', my coffee triangle was 15' long on the long side!

Ahh, I can't wait, lol. Looking at your pictures is helping me to anticipate even THAT!

And no, I don't think you're crazy! I wish now I'd gotten a 30" deep one over the fridge! I did get a cabinet for over the sink window though. I want to make use of as much space as is possible!

Thanks again!

• berf
    15 years ago

Ah yes, my mugs, coffee press, kettle etc. are all stored just to the right of the fridge. And the drawer there contains all the teas, the toaster tongs, apple slicer, small cutting board and various little "breakfast things." Anything that makes getting my coffee hit a little easier in the morning is tops on my list!

• sprengle1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh! The drawer items are a great idea!

My family is making fun of me for being so excited. But my kitchen has been truly pathetic for 19 years. Some day I'll take the time to post photos.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Definitely make the side panel the entire depth of the carcass/body of the refrigerator...all the way to the doors. Mine doesn't stick out as much as yours, but it does stick out about 2" past the counters and my panel is the entire depth...26" next to 24" cabinets.

I also recommend putting a finished end panel on the side against the wall...I think it will look much better than just on one side...but it's up to you. If you have 3/4" to spare (or however wide your finished panels are), it will look, IMHO, more "finished"!

I think you're also asking about the cabinet above the refrigerator...yes, bring that forward so it's flush w/the end panels and the refrigerator carcass.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!